What comtek headphones is everyone using?

BAB414

I work on a fast paced 3 camera show sometimes with up to 14 comteks out. We tie strain reliefs, we tell people to be careful, but a set inevitably breaks every week or two.

We're looking for single cable on-ear (not over-ear) cans that can fold up nice and small, will survive a small drop now and then, preferably with swivel-style ears and with (fake) leather cushions instead of the cheap terrible cloth foam covers, all costing $30 or less. Anyone have any suggestions?

And if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find the thread. I'd love to see the link.

Thanks a bunch!

-Ben

I used the LSC (Sennheiser?) brand for years, then switched to these:

http://www.locationsound.com/headphones-headsets-earsets-51/headphones-54/sony-mdrzx100-stereo-headphones-with-stereo-unimatch-plug-721

...@ $20, you can consider them expendable. No matter which model you choose, they will have a limited lifespan - people are rough on them... just count on it and plan accordingly.

~tt

I had some great luck with Audio Technica ADH-P3 and P5's.

I ordered them sight unseen as replacements for some cheaper Sennhesier ones I'd been using.

Was pleasantly surprised by how long they lasted and like the design of the earpads. The earpads were a non-removable type that didn't rip or fall off which seems to be what does in most of my Comtek headphones.

Eventually, a director who breaks everything (we all know one of those right?) did them in - all 3 pairs. All good things end. Until I order more. Hard to get here in Canada for whatever reason.

R

BAB: "if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find the thread "

inexpensive and/or alternative headphones have been frequently discussed here...

and what is used out there in the world is all over the place...

pick you poison by price-point, or performance, or comfort, or looks, or...

on a show I was doing at WB, the village was destroying the pricy WB sound-shop provided cans at an alarming rate, and so Comteks were provided to most without any...

and typically, they are expendable, and I don't expect the value modles to last;  BTW, airline headsets have been popular with my clients...

" Anyone have any suggestions? "

do your own homework: Google and/or Amazon...

or better yet: let production procure them...they fcan get exactly what they like, and deal with them themselves...