Mozegear TIG Q28 on a job, in a sync test

Philip Perkins

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

NEW BNC Q28

For those who are not aware, we just brought out a new version with a BNC.  

Price is just $439.

Shipping started -  Yesterday

Top features (which are same as Q28)

• Incredible small size and weight (2.8 cubic inches & 1.9 ounces)
  • Especially wide range variable level output - 54db
  • Combines audio with timecode  for devices not intended for timecode (DSLR’s)
  • Locking Connectors - both BNC & 3.5mm are locking
  • Durable Case - designed for durability we have run trucks over it.
  • 2-year warranty and made in U.S.A.

• 3 months later...

Got to use the BNC28 the last couple days. Loved the size, jammed fine, sent out TC fine via the audio output on the 3.5mm output. However the BNC would not jam the C300, tried power cycling etc. Finally gave up and jammed it from my 633 with no issues not using the synch box. Any ideas? One thought was maybe the output level was too hot ( it was at 0 ) causing it to over modulate the TC in of the c300. But that would not be fun because it needs to be at 0 to be jammed from the 3.5 mm Or maybe it's a bad unit or BNC cable. Will test more tomorrow and update

Thanks Tom, and after some experimentation that was indeed the issue.   One click to the left of 0 is the only setting you can trust for BNC out from my findings actually.  What is interesting is what the TC is doing at any other output level.  Here's a quick video demonstration of this.

https://youtu.be/b50rPhaHsCE

Thanks Tom, and after some experimentation that was indeed the issue.   One click to the left of 0 is the only setting you can trust for BNC out from my findings actually.  What is interesting is what the TC is doing at any other output level.  Here's a quick video demonstration of this.

https://youtu.be/b50rPhaHsCE

That's really interesting..... and I wonder if I was having a similar result when feeding a PIX 240 from an ERX. It would get the right TC, but sometimes fluttered between it thinking the incoming TC was 23.98 and 24. The PIX records at what you set it to do, so it was never an issue. Just looked questionable on the display. 

That's really interesting..... and I wonder if I was having a similar result when feeding a PIX 240 from an ERX. It would get the right TC, but sometimes fluttered between it thinking the incoming TC was 23.98 and 24. The PIX records at what you set it to do, so it was never an issue. Just looked questionable on the display.

So I think a good question now would be is this behavior specific to the BNC & or Lemo output or is it also possible that it's behaving the same way out of the 3.5 mm TC audio out, I think I'll do a TC audio synch check with the varying outputs next. Also just a disclaimer I am very impressed with the functionality and small size of this unit my intention is to understand more how varying timecode output levels affect the source being jammed / fed TC

Michael, if I'm understanding you right about that:

''One thought was maybe the output level was too hot ( it was at 0 ) causing it to over modulate the TC in of the c300. But that would not be fun because it needs to be at 0 to be jammed from the 3.5 mm''

...the solution to avoid changing your level constantly would be that:

''To answer the questions/comments regarding  resetting the output level ---

The Q28 was designed to avoid continuously having to reset the output level when using the 3.5mm audio input as the jam input.  Once you set your output level it is saved automatically, then you can just leave the Q28 set until you reset it again.  Since most people work with a similar output level, it probably won't need to be reset very often.  This leaves the Q28 just waiting to be jammed.

For other people reading this thread who may not be familiar with the Q28,  I will list the steps to set and save your output level:

1.   Set the output level desired
  2.   Automatically save the setting by turning the Q28 off and then moving the output level control to 0.
  3.   Now turn the Q28 on

If you leave your output level in the 0 position, your previously "saved level" will remain the same and saved for future use.  The 3.5mm will be ready to jam and the output doesn’t have to be reset.

Please note that the output level controls the output on the BNC, Lemo and the 3.5mm.  ''

.. from there:

So I think a good question now would be is this behavior specific to the BNC & or Lemo output or is it also possible that it's behaving the same way out of the 3.5 mm TC audio out, I think I'll do a TC audio synch check with the varying outputs next. Also just a disclaimer I am very impressed with the functionality and small size of this unit my intention is to understand more how varying timecode output levels affect the source being jammed / fed TC

I'm guessing the output levels of the 1/8" mini and the BNC are the same, but don't know that as a fact. For what it is worth however, when I mentioned that Mosegear recommends a "10 o'clock" position to match the output level of the Deneke devices, I was refering to the Q28 with the 1/8'" output.

Tom

• 9 months later...

been using the mozegear tig 28 for a year and half , and its a great product... but Ive Been on about 4 or 5 different shoots with ALEXA MINI BODY cam, and I've been getting TC error, camera doesn't take the jam ("TC" turns ORANGE)... this only happens to me with the ALEXA MINI .  I end up having to jam form the denecke slate and keeping my eye on it all day, rejamming every so often.  

Anyone else out there having this issue?  This has been on a bunch of different shoots, as I see more of these MINIs out there.. 

The TIG works great with every other camera I've used it with though.. alexa, amira, sony, red, etc... just the mini body ....weird.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2014 at 6:39 PM, Boomboom said:

Thanks for the review, now I'm even more glad I ordered one :)

I might add another one while the special launch-promo price is there. So many gigs with C300s+all kinds of rigs (or just the Canon handle) and 5Ds these days it will be hard to resist !

I have 4

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...