New Portabrace AO-1 Changes Complete.

Hey Guys, 

Finally, This is the second of the AO bags to go through the redesign process. Of course this bag is obviously very similar to the previous AO-1.5, the main change is the internal dimensions of the bag. Its the smallest of the AO bags. 

A lot of enquiries about the handles, pockets and modular sides have been brought up. I am dealing with quite a few requests for custom variations of the bag. I'll be sure to post pictures of these custom requests. Also, If certain customer adaptations or changes prove to be popular, then more than likely, that may well be an adaptation that can be permanently made to the factory stock AO.

Thank you again for all your input and suggestions. 

2.9lbs Empty, no strap.

W11 x D5.5 x H6

The main changes from the old AO-1 are:

Large access flap on back. (Media/Battery) With attached external pocket.

NP1/BDS/transmitter pockets on both sides.

Boom rest/headphone pouch/flask pocket on right.

NP1 Velcro locks on each side.

Metal harness attachment rings each side.

Smaller compact collapsible front pocket.

Accessory storage in front pocket.

Interior copper colored lining.

Longer carry handles.

Longer vinyl cover.

Double layer vinyl pocket for small equipment.

Boom-pole attachment point.

2 x Solid dividers.

http://www.portabrace.com/products/audio/organizers/923-ao-1x

post-8267-0-23067300-1408047682_thumb.jp

post-8267-0-53446600-1408047689_thumb.jp

post-8267-0-88792800-1408047694_thumb.jp

post-8267-0-73620000-1408047701_thumb.jp

post-8267-0-15466100-1408047711_thumb.jp

nice looking bag.

UK dealer?

Expected price?

Availability?

Will they be on show at IBC in Amsterdam in September?

Many thanks,

sb

The bag is available from any UK based dealer. You can follow the link for more details if you need them. The price tag is $349.

Thank you. 

At least it'll properly fit the nomad. I like the fact the side panels are removable, and that they can be swapped sides. I've been wanting to try mixer in the front bay for a while now and this seems to be the best design to try it. I need zippered front pocket though. I can't be loosing bits and pieces out of there. I'll be going custom. Nice work.

Btw it looks like the pictures on the website are still of the older version?

Couple questions:

Is there an access hole punched in the bottom of the rear np1 pocket, For power cable?

What purpose does the zipper on the top of the bag serve? Previously it was to zip a flat cover over the top of the unit, something I would still like to do. Does it come with a flat cover as well as the larger Vinyl cover pictured?

Before everyone starts the "zipper needs to be velcro, velcro needs to be zipper, pocket in front is too big, too small upside down, doesn't fit the Deva, I demand that the boom attaches on the top of the faders, battery should be horizontal, does it come in pink camo? ..." etc. please note that PB also offer customized bags now.

Oh... I guess it has already started...

Btw it looks like the pictures on the website are still of the older version?

Couple questions:

Is there an access hole punched in the bottom of the rear np1 pocket, For power cable?

What purpose does the zipper on the top of the bag serve? Previously it was to zip a flat cover over the top of the unit, something I would still like to do. Does it come with a flat cover as well as the larger Vinyl cover pictured?

Sorry for the wait, (Although the dimensions are correct, the dimensions picture is wrong on the site currently, I've put a request in for that to be changed ASAP, thanks).

The rear NP1 pocket doesn't currently have a cable hole. But future models more than likely will. It will be an easy fix. 

The zipper on the top is the attachment point for the rain flap. The rain flap on this bag is double vinyl. 

The bag would only come with one longer cover to accommodate the antenna. 

Having just received the bag very recently, there are a few minor alterations i'm still going to make. But as mentioned in this thread so well, we do customs. Something I'm also doing. 

Thanks!

Before everyone starts the "zipper needs to be velcro, velcro needs to be zipper, pocket in front is too big, too small upside down, doesn't fit the Deva, I demand that the boom attaches on the top of the faders, battery should be horizontal, does it come in pink camo? ..." etc. please note that PB also offer customized bags now.

Oh... I guess it has already started...

Well said. Have it your way! 

Wow,

the ORCA equivalent is 3.9 pounds.

The Portabrace is 2.9 pounds.

I am very intrigued...

The bags are incredibly strong and incredibly light weight. Ive used many bags over the years, but these have always been my favorite for large setups. Simple, strong and durable. 

The bags are incredibly strong and incredibly light weight. Ive used many bags over the years, but these have always been my favorite for large setups. Simple, strong and durable.

The problem with portabrace is balance. This is where petrol and now orca is superior. I hope the new portabrace has the balance issues figured out...

You might be thinking of the mixer specific bags from the olden days Rado. I think it's worth noting, and clarifying, especially in this thread, that the AO series bags don't suffer from the balance issues you are referring to. The AO series "organizer" bags have always been more "boxy" for lack of a better description, and sit very stable. I've historically owned both mixer specific porta brace bags and an AO bag and they aren't of the same "type".

Wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea.

The problem with portabrace is balance. This is where petrol and now orca is superior. I hope the new portabrace has the balance issues figured out...

I agree that in the past the key issues of some of the Portabrace bags have been both balance points and also sag. My key focus was on these two issues when redesigning the classic MXC range of bags. You'll find that the new improved MXC-788-CLX and also the MXC-664-CL6 have been greatly improved. You can also get this same style of bag for the new Nomad FP8 in the same style. These bags are specifically sized to the mixer and are at a lower price point as they are a little less protective, although now still very supportive.

On the other hand, the structure of the AO series of bags has always been solid reinforced plastic with a relatively wide base, which I have always preferred. The base of the AO bags is much thicker than the Petrol. I've done many shoots while working with a Petrol bags, I've owned various models in the past too. Obviously personal preference is always the deciding factor, but also gear setups and weight distribution is also key. I haven't had good experiences when using Petrol bags. Again that's just my personal opinion and experience. I do know though that many people complain about the 664 bag from Petrol that doesn't seem to have the ability to stand up very well at all. I've also been very frustrated by the uncomfortable slant of the bags, depending of course on the equipment setup and weight distribution and how well that bag fits the size of the mixer you're using. As I've always stated, what matters to me is simplicity, functional design and durability.

At the end of the day, my goal with all of the redesigns was to make a much more user friendly bag that provided a balance system that would work across the board with both fully loaded or near to empty bags. This is why the newer model bags all have 3 reinforced metal attachment points. I also took into consideration the access points for media and batteries on the bag, overall weight of the unit, and key functional components like the widely requested small storage pockets in the front pouch and longer handles and cable access. All modifications that we're taken from the 'AO Brainstorm Frenzy'.

After making some great modifications to the bags and really focusing on the needs of today's users and their equipment, we then also decided that it would create the complete package to offer the custom option. For those people who don't like handles, or like zips and not Velcro. All options and needs can be covered.

I hope that we get some good responses and some positive feedback. I'm always looking to improve the products.

Thanks!