K-Tek now shipping KSRA2 Stingray bag for 664

dfisk

The time has finally come! After extensive design revisions based on user feedback and beta testing, we have started shipping the KSRA2 Stingray bag for the Sound Devices 664. They are on their way to our dealers right now and should be showing up on their doorsteps soon. We are also shipping out the back orders of the KSRA1 Stingray for the Sound Devices 633 and Zaxcom Maxx, the bag that started the new trend in audio bags. We are very excited to be getting these out and thank all of our customers for their support. If you haven't contacted your dealer to get yours reserved, you better do it now, as these are going fast. 

post-321-0-50721400-1408466665_thumb.jpg

I just got this feedback from Jon Gilbert. He was one of my beta testers:

"I love the K-Tek Stingray for the 664. It's been designed by someone who uses audio bags, and it just works. I use it with a Sound Devices 664, 4 x Lectrosonics UCR411A, a two channel camera hop and an IFB feed. That's never going to be a small rig, but the Stingray feels balanced and very comfortable to wear. The mesh section that sits next to your body is genius, gone are the days of sweaty shirts on a hot day, air circulates behind the bag, keeping me cool and comfortable. Not only is the bag a joy to use, it's a joy to set up too, every side of the mixer and radios are easy to get to, either from the sides or underneath, making it easy to set the bag up initially, and make on the run changes to your rig. Adding another receiver and the necessary cabling take seconds, and it all stays neat and tidy. One last thing, the retractable handles are yet another stroke of genius, just another thing that sets the Stingray apart from it's competitors."

Perfect example of why they don't send donkeys to college, nobody likes a smart ass.

Hey, smart ass is better than a dumb ass. 

Rado, The Nomad bag is the next on my list of bags. I'm hoping to nail that, the harness, and rain cover all at the same time. Mike McQueen is beta testing the current Nomad prototype and Harness for me right now, but I know there will be changes made to both of those for the final versions. I really wanted to see how well the harness worked on his thinner frame as opposed to my stout body. I really need to make sure I deal with the larger Zaxnet antenna properly in the bag design. 

The bigger waist belt is coming. The version of the Nomad bag Mike has is the very first prototype, so there will be changes. 

Rado, the current version of the Nomad bag has the Nomad supported by the velcro, but we don't need to do that in this bag because the XLR connectors on the bag are recessed. I think the Nomad can just sit on the bottom of the bag and use the velcro if you want for extra support, but I don't think you should have to do that with the Nomad. 

Here's the rub.

The upcoming RX12 is an inch or so wider than the Nomad, so if I make this bag very form fitting for the Nomad it'll be too small for the RX12. If I make the bag larger, then it'll be a little big for the folks not using the RX12. 

You could use the current KSRA2 Stingray (the one for the 664) with the Nomad and the Rx12, I suppose, since that is more than big enough to handle it and the FP8. 

Hey Dave- It would be a real shame to design the nomad bag around the rx 12 imo. I appreciate your concern with trying to be as future proof as possible, but I would guess the amount of users that would appreciate a more compact bag, vs accommodation for a $12000-$13000 receiver unit (that I'm guessing will  live on carts the majority of the time), is going to be significantly larger. I know there will be some that would appreciate the option, but I'm guessing they would go the custom bag route anyhow.

BTW- I've been using the 633 prototype with the Nomad and love the build quality of the bag. It looks like you already addressed the few minor gripes I have with it in the final version design. I'm sure the Nomad bag will be even more refined.

The upcoming RX12 is an inch or so wider than the Nomad, so if I make this bag very form fitting for the Nomad it'll be too small for the RX12. If I make the bag larger, then it'll be a little big for the folks not using the RX12. 

I think because the fp8 gives more functionality to the Nomad than just a control surface and a good price point.

I was talking with Glenn about that the other day. He's going to send me a dummy FP8, and from what I read, it isn't just a control surface and it seems to me to be a pretty cool add on to the Nomad. It's also pretty low profile, which is very nice. I need to take the FP8 into account in the bag design. When I did the original Nomad bag prototype, the FP8 wasn't even out yet. Now that it is out I can see how many people are using it and how they have it in the bag. I think with dual channel receivers it shouldn't be an issue at all. 

I'm also wondering how many people are using the Zaxcom mic plexer and how they run their antennas. 

I was talking with Glenn about that the other day. He's going to send me a dummy FP8, and from what I read, it isn't just a control surface and it seems to me to be a pretty cool add on to the Nomad. It's also pretty low profile, which is very nice. I need to take the FP8 into account in the bag design. When I did the original Nomad bag prototype, the FP8 wasn't even out yet. Now that it is out I can see how many people are using it and how they have it in the bag. I think with dual channel receivers it shouldn't be an issue at all. 

I'm also wondering how many people are using the Zaxcom mic plexer and how they run their antennas. 

Hi Dave.  Here is my current setup with a PEGz 2.  The FP8 will hopefully stay attached to the Nomad all the time even if I use my Mix 8.

The placement of the Micplexer 2 is due to my TX for camera hops which goes to the far upper right side ext. pouch.  The RF cabling I just run behind the RX's; sandwiched between the RX's and the flap to the front pouch.

The one thing I don't like about my current config is the wasted space I have between the FP8 and my RF stuff.  I would like to put my LAV pouch and accessories box there but ain't enough room.  So everything goes in the front pouch; everything mentioned previously, pens, dry erase, AA's, transpore, gold mount battery for power.  I'm hoping that the side pouches on the Stingray will hold all that.

Gabe

post-518-0-08273400-1408824248_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Stringray bag today and it's a nice piece of work. I'm going to have to get used to wearing a larger bag - my Petrol PS601 bag will be fitted with a SD442 once again. With the Stingray I have enough room for everything and plenty more. :-)

Just one thing, it would have been great if the rain cover would have been an inch or two wider because it's just as wide as the mixer compartment. A bit of side-winded rain probably won't be covered properly. My Petrol rain cover is wide enough, but too short for this bag, so I'm going to have to look for a better rain cover. Filming documentaries run and gun, I have to have a cover that I feel secure with.

It's going to be fun trying out the new bag.

Cheers

Fred