on set rapping with music needed

BoxBreaker

Three actors rapping in a kitchen to a 30 second hiphop beat after some brief dialog. no budget for ear monitors or thumper. I suggested that we have someone que the beat with their hands and keep tempo like a conductor. any thoughts on this ?

Also, would a carioid be a better choice to record all three singing at once ? nt5 cardioid vs my normal indoor at4053b hyper cardioid.

I'm a rookie any feedback is helpfull

The conductor method could work, but you might run into trouble with the actors looking at the "conductor." If it's freestyle, one solution is to film and record it (using the live music) as a reference track, then give them closed cup headphones, play back the track on a laptop and have the actors rerecord the track acapella. I used this technique with two people singing along with the radio in a car, and it works perfectly.

on a doc in Senegal what i did was to take the rapper's iphone (he had a beat on it) and plugged it into my mixer. Then i gave him a sennheiser ifb, with one of his own headphones plugged into his ear. i sent the beat from the iphone to his ifb. luckily he had long hair so the headphone and ifb cable was not visible. If you only have one earphone, it could work with more guys as the leading rapper would give them a "tempo map".  

hi and welcome BB: " I'm a rookie any feedback is helpfull "

this will be a good chance to get some experience, starting with the workflow tests...

BTW: good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.

you should plan on trying several options, as there are no single answers for your questions.

3 shure sm 58

Plus a small pa for music playback.

Take a split of the music and ISO the vocal mics.

Treat it as recording a live gig, which it more or less is.

This is essentially a live music recording of a performance, not a studio album or high end feature film?

Are the talent actors or MC's? Most MC's are fine to freestyle on beat without a backing track. They pride themselves on staying on beat and do it all the time as a part of a cypha. I would play the beat for them during the rehearsal or just before the take.  Hip Hop is generally 4/4 time and around 93 BPM. Nothing to difficult to remember. Unless they are rhyming in triple time or doing some Reverse Polarities type flow, edit could probably fudge it a little if the go off beat a little.  

Thanks for taking the time and responding, a kind welcome indeed.

just to clarify the "rappers"(they are not rappers just talented actors) will basically be singing in scrpited harmony for the most part, and will need help with keeping tempo.

I like some of the ideas presented and I understand this can be approached a million different way based on whats required and the budget.

My limitations are no ifb, 1 radio mic.

I understand the benefits of using three lavs to help cancel the music bleed but that seems like it would be a nightmare to mix and sound awful.

I'll bring a subwoofer and try my rode nt5 cardioid for a wider pickup of the group.

Mixer/recorder sd302 - dr680

I really like the suggestion to do a wild recording right after the shoot with all three wearing headphones.

Can't you bring a small/cheap headphone distro box? As this will probably be used once a year, I'm thinking along the low-budget lines of Behringer HA400 or similar.

marc: " slam the mics on the floor at the end of the performance. "

who is supplying the mic's ?

make certain production is aware, get insurance certificate, though a mic is typically less than the deductible. B

BB: " My limitations are no ifb, 1 radio mic. "

why is that ?

if production wants it done properly, and can afford "talented actors", then they can afford whatever you need to do the gig; our usual suspects can provide everything you need...

" I understand the benefits of using three lavs "

rappers do not use lav's...  3 lavs (or using a boom, for that matter) would not be a benefit, as open mic's will pick up stuff you don't want... 3 SM-58's (or equiv) up close will pretty much overpower any ambiance, and playback