Lemo 3-Pin Connectors

John Blankenship

I've found some third party Lemo-compatible screw-on type 3-pin connectors that I much prefer over the actual Lemo version. These are the connectors that would be used with a Zaxcom transmitter, or higher end Sennheiser model.

When I first got some of these I thought they were Lemo brand and that the company had improved them. Then, I realized that they were a third party version.

These connectors use a tightening collar strain relief (that can be reused) rather than the crimp style that Lemo screw-ons have. Picture a strain relief more like what Neutrik XLRs use.

They are easier to both wire and assemble (you don't need a special tool) and can be reused. One caution is that if you're removing a previous cable, be very careful not to pry the tiny strain relief "fingers" out too far (in order to release the old cable), as they can break.

Including the vinyl boot, the original Lemo version is made up of seven parts, this one has only five. The vinyl boot comes standard with this version, whereas you need to order it separately with the actual Lemo.

These connectors seem to screw on and off the Zaxcom transmitters easier than the actual Lemos.

...Oh, and they cost less, too.

I stumbled onto a few some time back and then searched for months to find a source for them -- to finally discover they are readily available via our regular suppliers -- if only you know what to ask for and where to tell the dealer to source them from.

It's a simple as: Call your favorite professional sound dealer (what we here call, "The Usual Suspects") and tell them to order "Reusable 3-Pin Lemo Connectors" from Redding Audio. The Redding Part Number is "RED16". They can be found on the Audio Limited price list.

Redding Audio is the distributor for Schoeps, Rycote, Ambient, and Voice Technologies, among others, so any professional sound dealer who serves our industry, already has a working relationship with them.

The top photo below is of a standard Lemo screw-on 3-pin connector (minus the boot), and the bottom photo is of the improved (in my opinion) connector.

post-18-0-04744800-1408911777_thumb.jpg

This version may even end some people's hatred of wiring Lemo connectors.

that does look like a very good modification.

will be in contact with Redding to see about getting some to the right side of the Atlantic.

though i dont know that it will make wiring them any easier, as the bit that i always hate is getting the wire into the pin insert.

Thanks for the info! How do you accomplish grounding the shell with these?

Quite easily.  I divide the shield into two parts.  One of those leads goes to pin-1, while the other is pulled up under the metal strain relief that tightens down when assembled. 

The thing to watch for is that none of the shield is pushed against the pins when assembled, so that you don't accidentally short out the signal.  My current assembly method includes adding a tiny piece of heat shrink tubing around the signal pin, so even if some bit of shield is pushed back into the housing, it won't short out the signal lead.  "Works a charm" as they say.

please tell me there is a 5 pin version of this connector too.  Lemo--the connector I love to hate….

philp

Jack asked about that in another thread.  I have no idea.  I was too busy celebrating the fact that I finally found the source for these, and that it was so accessible to our profession, that I never asked that.

I suggested that Jack call Redding Audio and ask them about the availability of other versions.

Jack asked about that in another thread.  I have no idea.  I was too busy celebrating the fact that I finally found the source for these, and that it was so accessible to our profession, that I never asked that.

I suggested that Jack call Redding Audio and ask them about the availability of other versions.

There is a 5 pin on their site, but it doesn't have the "key" on the barrel, and seems to want a threaded connector to mate with--which doesn't describe the connectors on the TC devices I'd want to use them on.

philp

You might need to order one to see if it's the same thing, as exploded diagrams can be hard to come by for many of these connectors.

However, in my search I found a number of third party Lemo copies. I bought one from (ugh) B&H that works better in the trash than it does on the end of a cable. It actually came apart the first time I tried to use it.

Somewhat related topic, what are the opinions on the screw-on vs. push-pull Lemo style connectors for Zaxcom/Sennheiser wireless? Opinions I have heard are very definite --- some say the screw-on is the ONLY way to go, steer clear of any of the push-pull variety, and others say exactly the opposite, big fans of the push-pull type. Forrest at Trew Audio has told me that he has re-done many, many connectors, replacing the push-pull type and going back to screw on. So, I have stuck with the standard screw-on type for all of my lavs but I am still curious (because the push-pull ones seem to be much easier to use).

I just talked to Redding Audio.

The Redding Part Number is: RED16

They can be found on Redding's Audio Limited Price List.

They do not carry 5-pin versions -- just these.

As I mentioned earlier, you, of course, order through your professional audio dealer as Redding Audio is a distributor, not a retailer.

No worries about receiving the right ones if your dealer gets them from Redding Audio, as these are the only version of this 3-pin Lemo connector that Redding carries.

Maybe same as this one ?

It is easier to order from Europe...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEMO-FVB-00-303-NLA-COMPATIBLE-CONNECTOR-NEW-/321457099456

I emailed Antoine from Audioroot to ask if his Lemos where similar or the sames ones to the compatible ones from Redding but he said to me that they where almost identical mechanically to the original Lemos, so no luck  for us in Europe.

Somewhat related topic, what are the opinions on the screw-on vs. push-pull Lemo style connectors for Zaxcom/Sennheiser wireless? Opinions I have heard are very definite --- some say the screw-on is the ONLY way to go, steer clear of any of the push-pull variety, and others say exactly the opposite, big fans of the push-pull type. Forrest at Trew Audio has told me that he has re-done many, many connectors, replacing the push-pull type and going back to screw on. So, I have stuck with the standard screw-on type for all of my lavs but I am still curious (because the push-pull ones seem to be much easier to use).

I have push-pulls on a couple of adapter cables and like how quick and easy they are to connect and disconnect.

However, I prefer the screw-on type for lav use as the push-pull ones are taller and therefore make the connectors more vulnerable to damage due to the greater leverage potential.

what are the opinions on the screw-on vs. push-pull Lemo style connectors for Zaxcom/Sennheiser wireless?

I have heard various opinions from various people as well. I too went with the twist lock. Its slightly lower profile and I like that it actually locks ensuring a solid connection. Either one will work so it comes down to personal preference.

the zaxcom manual notes the push-pull connector has greater rfi protection.  

Wiring Diagrams

The following 3-pin micro-LEMO connectors mate with the microphone connector:

• FGB.00.303.CLAD.22 – has a latch with a pull release (recommended for RFI prevention).

• FVB.00.303.NLA – has a latch with a twist release.

Wiring Diagrams

The following 3-pin micro-LEMO connectors mate with the microphone connector:

• FGB.00.303.CLAD.22 – has a latch with a pull release (recommended for RFI prevention).

• FVB.00.303.NLA – has a latch with a twist release.

Yes this is interesting, I've just investigated the Lemo push pull and am not happy with considerable additional length of the plug and the leverage that it could easily exert on my nice new Zaxcom TRXLA2 sockets, as I know what forces talent/contributors can obliviously/uncaringly put on TX packs in some circumstances. So I've decided to stick with screw connectors for the time being, though I love the convenience/speed of push/pull.

That should be probably be clarified in the manual but as along as the shell is grounded that doesn't make any difference. I also spoke to Glenn regarding this debate and in his opinion he likes the twist lock because of the firm connection the twist lock makes - though YMMV.

Along with what Jack said, quite some time back Zaxcom had put that in the manual because they thought it was easier for those wiring their own connecters to properly ground the push-pull version.

Now, with the alternative connector this thread is about, even that reasoning is a thing of the past. These are easier to properly ground than the style using the (less than secure) crimp style strain relief.