Lemo 3-Pin Connectors

John Blankenship

Somewhat related topic, what are the opinions on the screw-on vs. push-pull Lemo style connectors for Zaxcom/Sennheiser wireless? Opinions I have heard are very definite --- some say the screw-on is the ONLY way to go, steer clear of any of the push-pull variety, and others say exactly the opposite, big fans of the push-pull type. Forrest at Trew Audio has told me that he has re-done many, many connectors, replacing the push-pull type and going back to screw on. So, I have stuck with the standard screw-on type for all of my lavs but I am still curious (because the push-pull ones seem to be much easier to use).

I switched off of the screw on connectors because I found the strain relief to be poor compared to the push pull.  I'm looking forward to trying the connectors that John found, although none of my lavs need new connectors right now, so who knows when I'll get around to it.

The screw on connectors do seem to make a little more solid connection, and are a little lower profile, but I haven't had any problems with stress put on the push pull connectors, and they aren't any larger than a TA5 connector, so it's not really a concern to me.  The push pull are easier to deal with, quicker to connect/disconnect and have better strain relief.

I've found some third party Lemo-compatible screw-on type 3-pin connectors that I much prefer over the actual Lemo version. These are the connectors that would be used with a Zaxcom transmitter, or higher end Sennheiser model.

What prices are you all finding for these? I was quoted a price of $38 from one of our usual suspects. Has anyone found a cheaper source for these?

• 1 year later...

Any lead on a place to buy just the replacement inserts?

I started out with the push-pull, but doing a show with correctional officers and getting the TX in/out of their stab vests a few times per day quickly takes a toll on the connection. Especially when talent starts pulling them out themselves to have a private conference. An hour or two repairing tiny cables is much harder after 12+ hrs on set. Now i've invested in the crimp tool ($87 on Amazon) and so far so good with the screw-type.

But I have a couple of connectors whose inserts are too messed up after multiple repairs. Trew LA sells extra crimp barrels for $2 each. Any lead on a place to buy just the replacement inserts would be much appreciated!

crimper handle unit:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VH1OVG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01

crimper die (size .100 is used for lemo 3)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JJGR1S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

You can definitely find cheaper now that we know the size. But this Greenlee 8000 is a good standard, can be used for your BNCs, and isn't very expensive here.

• 2 weeks later...

From my second-hand (or third-hand)  knowledge, I have heard that Arri has commissioned the 5 pin small connectors from Lemo and Arri sells the connectors and associated cables, likely for an exorbitant amount. Take that for what you will, I have no guarantee this is accurate. 

Most problems with the Lemo connectors are due to difficulty wiring them. They are VERY easy to wire poorly due to their size. I can't imagine 5 pins in one of those connectors. I want to die a little every time I wire a Lemo 3.

Reach out to me if you're wiring the 3 pins. I have some tips that can help you get them wired and protect them from shorting against other pins and the metal casing that's about 1/2mm away from the pin wells. 

• 3 years later...
On 12/1/2015 at 1:32 PM, RScottATL said:

Reach out to me if you're wiring the 3 pins. I have some tips that can help you get them wired and protect them from shorting against other pins and the metal casing that's about 1/2mm away from the pin wells. 

Apologies for the thread resurrection, but I'm interested in your technique!

Also, is anyone using the TA5F to 3-pin Lemo adapter for SSM transmitters or is it too clunky to make sense? I'd guess the latter and it also adds a potential point of failure, but I'm curious if there are any real-world use cases out there.

• 1 year later...

Hello, founding this topic only now, I am wondering why no-one share the actual name and reference of these "third party Lemo-compatible screw-on type 3-pin connectors better than the real Lemo", nor even ask for it. 

For those of us outside of the US we cannot conveniently access the Redding Audio channel suggested (also assuming it is still valid 6 years later).

Someone on another topic quoting this one suggested that these might be ODU connectors. As far as I understood it is a german brand manufacturer. Finding a reference on their website seems  as complicated as on the Lemo website, so to find one compatible with another brand sounds quite a challenge to me as well as a gamble.

Would it be somehow off-limit to ask for the references of the discussed connector, since no one did?

If not thanks in advance to anyone who knows and would be willing to share.

8 hours ago, Valentine said:

The ones I have just discovered from another thread here are called RED16 connectors, I think made by Cable Techniques. I have been replacing my mics with these as they break, so far so good.

This looks like the ODU connector rebranded. the ODU connector was commissioned by Ambient Munich. 

3 hours ago, soundtrane said:

This looks like the ODU connector rebranded. the ODU connector was commissioned by Ambient Munich. 

Hi Soundtrane, do you know the reference(s) of the correct ODU Lemo3 screw-on compatible connector to order? 

They have many that seems close to it, I do not know where to start and any search with "Lemo" on their site does not match any content.

Ambient does not mention it neither anywhere on their website.

Btw i am interested in them for Wisycom transmitters.

11 hours ago, Valentine said:

The ones I have just discovered from another thread here are called RED16 connectors, I think made by Cable Techniques.

Valentine, RED16 is the US distributor ReddingAudio own reference, and Cable Techniques seems to be part of them. It does not give us information of where to look when we are not able to go through them. It might be in their interest not to disclose where the original source comes from and it is understandable from a US market point of view.

But if they come from Germany (if ODU, still to be confirmed) it does not make sense to us europeans to buy and have them shipped back from the States 🙂

(If Redding Audio was the original manufacturer that would be different of course)

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2020 at 6:06 AM, DanieldH said:

Lemo product codes for Wisycom/Sennheiser transmitters should be:

Plug i.e.: FVB.00.303.NLAE24

Female socket: EEB.00.303.CLL

You could ask ODU what/if a product they have fits these.

The FVB.00.303.NLAE24 is a screw-on connector. The rest of the B series is push-pull, but the FVB was developed as a screw coupling.

The contacts themselves are solder cup. The DPE.99.123.1K crimps the ferrule onto the wire and then the DCL.91.516.5TK tool tightens down the notched nut. The GMF.00.018.DN is the bend relief that is sold separately.

~K

• 8 months later...
On 11/21/2020 at 6:59 AM, Ken Goodwin said:

The FVB.00.303.NLAE24 is a screw-on connector. The rest of the B series is push-pull, but the FVB was developed as a screw coupling.

The contacts themselves are solder cup. The DPE.99.123.1K crimps the ferrule onto the wire and then the DCL.91.516.5TK tool tightens down the notched nut. The GMF.00.018.DN is the bend relief that is sold separately.

~K

That Lemo crimp tool is like $600AUD. Does anyone know what diameter the crimp hex should be so that I can find a third party one?

• 1 year later...

Someone above said it worked with a 0.1 inch crimper die, but that is really just "close enough" because the actual value is metric.

The actual value is 2.70mm (measured across the flat planes) or 3.10mm (measured corner to corner).

I'm not 100% sure how crimper dies are typically measured, but 2.70mm in inches is 0.106, so my guess is 0.1 is the closest "common" size.  Maybe someone more experienced can fill in details here ... I just found the spec.

Based on Lemo's specs in this catalogue:  https://www.lemo.com/catalog/ROW/UK_English/00and01Coaxial_en.pdf#page=37

Also, the "assembly tool" has two tines at a 5mm width, based on the spec in this catalogue:  https://www.lemo.com/catalog/ROW/UK_English/unipole_multipole.pdf#page=157

Hopefully this helps people find suitable tools that don't cost hundreds of dollars (I especially hope it helps me!)

My approach to soldering 3-pin Lemo/ODU connectors is to slip a folded piece of Kapton tape between the pin i am soldering and the other two. And of course, a dual microscope! 

To hold the connector itself - a pencil eraser - push the pins in. the cable, secure it temporarily with some blu-tack an inch away from the wires to be soldered. A bit of jugglery and you can get both the pin and the wire in place. 

cheers

-vin