Welding Cart As Follow Cart

Alex Altman

Has anybody seen these in person? I was looking at another type of tool cart for a home use, and these came up in a search. Got me thinking, as interesting carts usually do. The two models seem like they could be easily adapted to our needs. Adding larger wheels would be my immediate improvement. I know people have discussed tool chests/carts as follow carts before, but the welding carts seem to be just slightly more suitable to what we do. The handles, work surface on top, and flat area between the large wheels (to mount boom pole cups on) seem pretty nice. Could be a wobbly piece of junk though for that price....

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200395734_200395734

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200440963_200440963

You know, the more I look at other traditional follow carts, the small one isn't really that much heavier (relatively). Magliners come out around 70 something pounds I believe, and more with drawers and shelves, etc. The tour/road style upright cases with drawers weigh upwards of 100 pounds from what I can find. The Magliner Jr, is of course only about 50 lbs, but that's barren. I might try to make this smaller welding cart work.... 

On a slight tangent, I've made use of an old overhead projector trolley as a welding bench. It has no drawers built in, but there is no reason you couldn't add them. These particular trolleys are solid, welded together and have a pair of large wheels and a pair of caster wheels. The slightly newer ones have plastic big wheels, and lockable casters.

Picture of cart - old photo. I've since added Castors back to it.

6usesuhe.jpg

ryjane3a.jpg

I think they are gilkon brand.

They could make a pretty good sound cart, and there is probably a lot sitting around in schools and universities as overhead projectors become obsolete. You just need to find somewhere with this style, and not the rickety bolt together ones. Probably not worth buying new though, just found a price online, for $300

• 8 years later...

You didn't ask me but they hold up pretty well.  An arts org I work for has had several since the start of Covid and the haven't been able to kill them yet.   They are pretty light for how tough they are.  Where they flunk for me is in their non-collapseability for travel in smaller vehicles or by plane.  

11 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

You didn't ask me but they hold up pretty well.  An arts org I work for has had several since the start of Covid and the haven't been able to kill them yet.   They are pretty light for how tough they are.  Where they flunk for me is in their non-collapseability for travel in smaller vehicles or by plane.  

Good to know!  Yeah I've just had this rock n roller for about a decade now as a follow cart and while I like the fact that it is light weight, I'm always battling it to make sure pelican cases don't go sliding off so something with a proper lip would be appreciated.  Part of me is telling me to just get a Magliner Jr cart but the 100+lb weight of it certainly would be cumbersome loading into my little transit connect passenger wagon.  While this thing wouldn't be able to fold down, dimension wise it could lay down fine and I'd be able to lift 67lbs a bit up into it.

A lot of the weight of a stock Magliner Jr is the pneumatic rear wheels--the rest of the cart is pretty light.  I went with the narrower plastic hard-tire wheels when I started having to fold the thing up to put it in my hatchback for every gig, and that's worked out very well.  I can understand why a Magliner used by G+E or camera on high-end (big) camera-type jobs could use the weight-bearing aspect of those pneumatic wheels, but we've loaded up mine with the plastic wheels with enough gear, stands, racks, snakes and cable to do 32+channel recordings and it didn't bat an eye.  Sound gear usually just isn't heavy enough to need those heavy pneumatic wheels!

6 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

Sound gear usually just isn't heavy enough to need those heavy pneumatic wheels!

True.  Which model do you have?  I essentially just want something with shelves that are 24x36 and can get over *most* terrain without issue.  Occasionally I have to go down a dirt path or whatever to get to a base camp but most of the time it would be pavement only use.

Mine is a Jr. with the narrower Nalpak removable top shelf.    Some dirt paths are ok with the small front smart wheels, as long as you go big wheels first (ie pushing from the handlebars).  You can put a shelf with a lip on the bottom too, or stick with the narrow, lighter deck and just run bungees down the sides to keep cases from falling off the lower shelf.  At one point I had a 2nd Magliner Jr tricked out as a sound cart, with the wider top shelf with a lot of permanently attached stuff (mixer+recorder, power distro, undershelf for a USB interface/drives etc, Phaserite,  BST75, DVD drive etc etc ) with pneumatic rears.  It worked very well but was heavy enough that it needed to be ramped into a van.  Eventually that was just too much and I slimmed everything down to the smaller simpler Mag Jr.