Anyone exploring recording using digital mics and iOS?

Given the constraints, I've always been impressed with iOS audio compared to the competition in the same category (I suppose that could be Tom Holman's influence?)

Anyway, with the Lightning connector being all digital audio, we're now seeing digital mics from the likes of Apogee, IK and Rode. IK also has a Lightning pre-amp that supplies phantom power to a XLR mic.

All these products cost less than £200 each, so that probably says something about the A/D conversion. But given the law of diminishing returns and the economies of scale this is a category that I suspect will grow over time (at least until iOS and/or Lightning becomes obsolete - 10 years perhaps?).

As someone who used to lug a Nagra 4.2 and Sennheiser 415T on a pole in full Rycote blimp and somehow manage to fill in a sound report too, this iOS stuff looks enticing for play time.

FWIW, I completely changed my remote camera measuring kit (for when I'm pulling sweeps / distortion / sn on single-system rigs at various rental houses*). Used to be, I carried a Terrasonde ATB and a laptop. Now it's an iPad Mini, a Focusrite DAC, and a bunch of simple pads. A lot nicer on my shoulder...

*I'm not recommending single system, least of all to producers. But I do keep objective audio measurements on them, since the manufacturers almost never publish audio specs other than "48k". 

"Given the constraints, I've always been impressed with iOS audio compared to the competition in the same category (I suppose that could be Tom Holman's influence?)"

iOS isn't any different than any other operating system in this regard. I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "the competition". The Operating System just runs the applications --- if you're saying that there are better applications written to run under iOS than other operating systems, this is a valid observation (but really is a different discussion about software development and so forth --- and we all know my over-the-top fanatical support for everything Apple). A properly designed hardware interface, decent application (software) to make high quality recordings in industry standard file formats, will be just fine with the operating system and device it was designed for.

"As someone who used to lug a Nagra 4.2 and Sennheiser 415T on a pole in full Rycote blimp and somehow manage to fill in a sound report too, this iOS stuff looks enticing for play time."

I agree we live in exciting times, certainly technologically, and I am still amazed that in a relatively short period of time we are now able to record images and sound with basic inexpensive consumer devices. So, if this is for "play time" or casual use, I'm totally in favor of making movies, making music, whatever, on any of the iOS devices you mention.

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard photographers say, "the best camera is the one you have with you."  A pro photographer will do what we do when it comes to doing our jobs:  preproduction, use the best gear we can get our hands on, try to align the planets for the best results.  But there are times a photog is 'off the clock' and sees a great shot to get... boom... a pro using an iPhone.

I think the best recorder is the one that you happen to have at the moment you need to record something.  As a sound designer, I love pocket-sized recorders for the same reason a photog likes the iPhone camera.  I can have it on me and grab some cool, unexpected sound, guerrilla- style.  Often, it is not even safe for me to take thousands of dollars worth of gear with me... recently, a group of punks asked me if I 'LoJack that shit.'  Gotta be careful.

I used my Sony D-50 with a lav for this quite often.  Monitoring on earbuds in public, people just thought I was listening to music.  There are a bunch of movies out there with the results of this in the soundtrack.  Sadly, my Sony just bit the dust like so many other people have experienced.  The power board fails, and for the mere price of the replacement model, Sony will gladly fix it.  This puts me in the position of getting to explore other options... like an iOS solution.  I always have my phone with me.

Any anecdotes from other's experiences would be much appreciated. 

From experience:

* System Notifications such as incoming phone calls or 20% battery remaining will STOP your recording cold.

* Have to put into plane mode to avoid.

* If you're thinking of getting an older iphone second hand for the purpose, there are some models that just choose to randomly stop recording or introduce drop-outs because of background system load.

* Microphones and audio interfaces plug into the bottom of the phone, so you have to use it upside down (the screen flips itself, but

now your home button is not where you want it).

* Wake up phone, enter passnumber, Find and start the app, press REC, confirm rolling.    How many seconds does that take. 

The problem is that it's different every time depending on what you last did with the phone.

Can't recommend...