Sound guy SHOT filming Cops... 8/27/14

afewmoreyears

I think, to be a cop - anymore - requires a "soldier" mentality - the crux is that one must be a soldier both for and against his/her fellow citizens simultaneously. This, coupled with the fact that most cops are exposed on a daily basis to the uglier side of human nature, makes everyone a suspect - everyone a liar.

It definitely takes a certain "breed" of human to undertake such a (thankless?) job - and the propensity for one to quickly become jaded against (just about everyone) is exceptionally high - perhaps only higher for soldiers? Perhaps term limits would help?

Dude had a gun (the fact that it was later revealed to be an Airsoft gun really carries little weight.). Were the police overzealous? Possibly... probably...

Either way, it's a fucking tragedy, and Bryce Dion is not continuing his life on this plane of existence. This incident will certainly (hopefully?) bring about some kind of positive change for the future.

~tt

Phore: " One more example of overzealous police "

Of course this is a tragedy, but there are so many cases of police emptying their hi-capacity magazines (they actually have a name for this: "contagious gunfire") which does not seem to be the case in civilian self defense shootings, yet "authorities" keep wanting to prohibit "hi-cap mag's" for everyone except the cops; they should go back to six-shooters, and DAO wheel guns, at that.

I'll also mention police having and using fully automatic weapons; while the "bad guys" would not be as concerned about "collateral damage", Law Enforcement certainly should be, thus, perhaps, they should not have and use fully automatic weapons.

I suspect the good citizens of Omaha are going to be paying for this...

This to me brings up the whole reality mind set. " It's good enough, lets go".

Having worked for this company on other shows it was well known that to work on Cop's you need to pay your time. Shut up, accept the low wage and maybe you'll get more later.. If you open your mouth in a lot of these shows, you are against the team. My boss was a good guy and he allowed people to voice if they had a question on safety, it was known that on Cop's you didn't do that. This was an accident waiting to happen and unfortunatley it did. As someone who has been trained in the military I have been shocked at what production people in the US accept and will enter into blindly. If you are going to work in dangerous situations please guys get training in the enviroment you are going to work. My military training was over 30 years ago yet I still attend HASP training to try and keep my knowledge up to date. __it happens, be ready to lower the chance that you end up in someones crosshairs. Sometimes that's leaving a bar before the loudmouth gets physical, at other times it's looking over your shoulder as you and your camera/tape op walks down the street.

• 2 weeks later...

Spike TV will air a one-hour clip show special Saturday featuring the work of longtime Cops audio technician Bryce Dion, who was killed during production last month when he was shot during filming of a robbery in progress at a Wendy’s restaurant in Omaha, NE.

http://deadline.com/2014/09/cops-crewmember-killed-tribute-episode-bryce-dion-spike-tv-834543/