OK, Sound Devices 788T Gurus...

Karl Wasserman

Hello, JWSOUNDers!

Recently switched to using a 788T/CL-9 setup.

In the interest of actor privacy, I'd like to find a quick way to either mute or pot down the feed to the Director's/Client's Comtek transmitter in between takes. I usually drop all faders except the boom strip anyway, but sometimes I want to use that time to adjust EQ, or make sure body mics still sound okay without broadcasting to the whole set.

I thought of assigning the COM2 (for talking to the director or script supervisor) and all active inputs to the X2 track, assigning that to the Comtek output and making the X2 fader knob on the CL-9 a dedicated "Director's Output" knob, but I feel like there might be a more elegant way.

In the meantime, I've been using the solo buttons to listen to individual mics, but can anyone give me a good shortcut way to 'mute all' on a specific, assigned output in between takes? Using the Keyboard/Logic Assignment to toggle button on my keyboard would work really well.

Anybody? Thanks In Advance!

Karl Wasserman

Astoria, NY

I wonder if it'd be possible to just make a single pole switch that would fit inbetween the output of the 788 and the input of the Comtek, and then just kill it momentarily between takes. A more sophisticated setup would just drop a resistor in line and knock the level down -2o or -30 or something. I seem to recall somebody having a box like this with a big blinking red light to remind the mixer that the "mute" mode was on.

One thing I actually love with the small handy recorder type things is that they only pass audio during takes. I'd love to have that function on any professional recorder, that an output be activated when in record.

Potting down a channel isn't hard, but what if I forget and at that moment an actor or someone else on set says something stupid... Tricky business

I put a request in years ago to SD for outputs to be only active during playback (For orchestral rehearsals when playing back via large monitors to stop feedback once playback stopped) I know this is the opposite of what you want Olle, but I had no luck after repeated requests.....

That would have to be a menu selectable feature with choices like:

1- output on all the time

2- output on only on record

3- output on only on playback

4- output on only on playback and record

Since a lot of people use these as mixer/recorder for bag/reality work.

marc: " I wonder if it'd be possible... "

of course

JH: " I put a request in years ago to SD for outputs to be only active during playback...this is the opposite of what you want Olle, but I had no luck after repeated requests..... "

you can't please all of the people on jwsoundgroup.net...EVER!

It's not that difficult to make a mute box with a blinking LED. All you need is a toggle switch, an LED, and a couple of input jacks.

The problem with the 788T only outputting during record is that you run the issue of what happens during something like a rehearsal.

Essentially you can make a mute box using the GPIO logic out and then have an override toggle switch for when you want to bypass the mute function. That shouldn't be hard either.

If all else failed, I had planned to put a Cough Drop or some other in-line mute switch between the Comtek cable and the Tx. I was looking for a 'less stuff' approach and just use the features on the 788T...

Good call, BudRaymond. I'm going to use the X1 for Comtek and the X2 for speaker.

And, yes, the tricky thing will be to remember to turn up the X1 for takes : P...

Potting down a channel isn't hard, but what if I forget and at that moment an actor or someone else on set says something stupid... Tricky business

Yeah, but we're not responsible for other people's behavior. If they say something stupid on set, there's always a chance that someone will hear it, whether they're potted down or not, due to the fact that they're on set when they say it

Yeah, but we're not responsible for other people's behavior. If they say something stupid on set, there's always a chance that someone will hear it, whether they're potted down or not, due to the fact that they're on set when they say it.

totally agree! Just, a helping hand is always a helping hand. And I don't think it's an impossible request...?

No, not impossible. Since I use a 216 belt pack Comtek TX, I just switch it off if I need to have a totally private conversation with my boom op, otherwise, I just keep faders down until we roll.

Comtek receivers don't seem to have a good mute/squelch when transmitter is off (just my opinion) , and the Comtek users have their receivers and headphones on bust a lot. Loud splats can, and often do happen with a lot of my receivers when the TX is off. That is my crew's experience with all forms of the Comtek 216 Transmitters and receivers.

I always notify people on headsets that it is time to remove them.

Keeping the faders down between takes is the fallback we all should be doing for privacy anyway, but we all get caught now and then, I'm sure...

Jim Rillie

Please, don't believe that managing the "flow" of mics to video village or Comtek is not your problem, at least on a commercial or dramatic shoot.  Not managing that monitor flow is the quickest way a mixer can get themselves into trouble with the above-the-liners, short of starting a fight or not showing up at all.  It IS your problem, and you have to deal with it.  (Believe me, I tried to have it NOT be my problem and got spanked repeatedly over it.)  The OP is correct, they have to figure out a way to manage that flow--many directors insist that the village only hear audio from the set when the camera is rolling!  Lots of ways to skin the cat, but no once cares if you are on a cart or in a bag etc, you still have to deal with this.  Easiest deal for the OP--an external switch box between the chosen output and the Comtek TX and village feed…..  Having a boom op complicates this all, it is true…but it is doable.

philp

Comtek receivers don't seem to have a good mute/squelch when transmitter is off (just my opinion) , and the Comtek users have their receivers and headphones on bust a lot. Loud splats can, and often do happen with a lot of my receivers when the TX is off. That is my crew's experience with all forms of the Comtek 216 Transmitters and receivers.

I always notify people on headsets that it is time to remove them.

Keeping the faders down between takes is the fallback we all should be doing for privacy anyway, but we all get caught now and then, I'm sure...

Jim Rillie

Yep.....

Jim and Phil said it right. That said, I'm also with syncsound to a degree.

Actors will invariably ask me if their transmitter will be on between takes, and the speech I always give is a variation of this: "We take your privacy very seriously, it's in everyone's interests to have the faders down all the time, and its my job to make sure that happens. But, when you're on your mark, even between active takes, please don't talk shit, unless you intend for it to be heard, because there's always at least one live microphone in the room all the time." It usually gets a laugh, and they get it. It's a trust issue.

I wonder if it'd be possible to just make a single pole switch that would fit inbetween the output of the 788 and the input of the Comtek, and then just kill it momentarily between takes. A more sophisticated setup would just drop a resistor in line and knock the level down -2o or -30 or something. I seem to recall somebody having a box like this with a big blinking red light to remind the mixer that the "mute" mode was on.

I'm pretty sure it was Bob Marts