Quicken 2015 for Mac

al mcguire

I'm running Quicken 2015, Quicken Essentials, Quicken 2007 (re-coded for Lion/Maverick compatibility, sort of), QuickBooks Pro and at various times most ALL of the other alternatives (iBank, Moneydance, etc., etc.). The "new" Quicken 2015 is okay, very much like Quicken Essentials (which I had just about gotten used to) but I don't do any of the linking to bank accounts or tracking investments or any of those other things. The key elements for me has always been ease of data entry and reporting (the sort of reports I want to make).

The original Quicken always had the others beat hands down because data entry mimicked exactly what all of us had done for years with regular "analog" checkbooks. The onscreen register was just like a regular checkbook register BUT with the wonderful added benefit of Quickfill (something which could never be accomplished with a regular manual checkbook register.

Quickbooks still retains this type of entry --- neither Quicken Essentials or the new Quicken 2015 have this in the same way. You have to initiate a new entry (with Command-N or a menu selection) and then you can start filling things in. I keep my Corporate books with QuickBooks and during the times I have been evaluating the offerings from other companies as well as Intuit, I have run my personal account in QuickBooks also. I may decide to stay with QuickBooks for everything but in the meantime I suppose I will carry on evaluating (which means I make every entry into 4 different applications just as a form of personal torture I guess).

Quicken had a $13 upgrade that made 2007  all work well on 10.7 and later.

Quicken Essentials for Mac bit the mop, hated it

My experience with the "upgrade" to Quicken 2007 was that it did not work perfectly with 10.7 or above. Buggy with dropped data, screens refreshing or badly, frozen cursor and trouble printing. 

To feed your dislike:

TurboTax Maker Linked to ‘Grassroots’ Campaign Against Free, Simple Tax Filing

Intuit and its allies are continuing to work against proposals for what’s known as return-free filing.

http://www.propublica.org/article/turbotax-maker-linked-to-grassroots-campaign-against-free-simple-tax-filing

I used QuickBooks, then MYOB which morphed into AccountEdge

http://accountedge.com

Tried to use Quicken Essentials for my task as a treasurer for one division a small nonprofit (associated with my kids' school)...that sucked. 

For work I've pretty much drifted back to QuickBooks. However, I'm willing to switch (especially since my accountant took a corporate...and fantastic!...job and I'll be looking for a new accountant).

So what is everyone else using? Can you get your work done in Quicken (perhaps the PC Home & Biz version)? And do you work with an accountant or similar professional...or do you DIY?

Jim "this isn't hijacking the thread is it?" Feeley

So what is everyone else using? Can you get your work done in Quicken (perhaps the PC Home & Biz version)? And do you work with an accountant or similar professional...or do you DIY?

I have been using Xero for the past four years. Simply the best accounting solution that I have ever used. My accountant prepares my end of year company report and tax return and I do everything else. 

www.xero.com

David M

I have been using Xero for the past four years. Simply the best accounting solution that I have ever used. My accountant prepares my end of year company report and tax return and I do everything else.

www.xero.com

David M

Another vote for Xero from me. My accountant put me onto it when I went freelance and I love it.

> +1 on the "dislike" comment --- I think Intuit is a truly sucky company in so many ways<

The Motley Fools recommended Intuit as a company to invest in, I usually agree with them, but not this time.

In the early 90's Their first product was wonderful, but  it has been  downhill ever since.

Jeff, Here is some Intuit  news that will help you smile. 

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/intuit-reports-wider-expected-q4-114053821.html;_ylt=AwrBEiKYfABUSFIAIjqTmYlQ

I hadn't looked into Xero and now that I did look I realize why --- Xero is a web-based service application with a monthly subscription. This is something I have considered in the past (with similar services) but it's not for me. I think the web-based services are probably very useful for those who have to have multiple people working on the books or want to provide access often to one's accountant, business partner, etc. Also, there is the attraction that the accounting "program" is always available to you online wherever you are in the world (with an Internet connection of course). Based on the suggestions from David M and JDirckze I am going to give Xero a trial run (free) just so I know exactly what it's like. So, that will be my 4th or 5th accounting application I will be running for "evaluation".

Jim,

I've been using Home and Business for many years now.  It takes care of the home finances very well, while having enough business accounting to take care of what little I need to do.  QuickBooks always seemed like over kill to me for my 10-12 invoices  month.

That said, this last update is a pain the a$$.  Things that worked well (simple things like shortcut keystrokes) are messed up.  No way to go back to the previous version since they will shut off the on-line transaction downloads on any version that is more than three years old.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

id love to hear what other programs ppl are using?

i tried wave, xero and quicken and they drove me completely mad. 

The web based ones were so slow cause you have to be online for your transactions. And the wave and quickens were so complicated I couldn't do have the basic things. 

I eventually landed on an app called visual budget. 

Its very visual and I can import all my accounts into it each quarter to categorize them. 

It spits out the reports I need when I need them and I'm pretty fast with it now. 

The only problem is its slow. I have to do each transaction individually. I can select all my fuel payments and categorize them together. 

With a business account, a hst/pst account, a savings account, a pst account and two personal accounts you can imagine how long it takes. 

The big advantage though is I can have all my accounts on me with the app not waiting for it to download from a cloud. We can end up shooting in places with crap wifi and out in the sticks  

perfect place to do accounts but not if it takes 2 minutes between transactions. 

The ideal would be an app that you can access and adjust your info on and then syncs with your base (laptop)

They have a desktop version I just downloaded but it turns out it doesn't sync with the app or really have any greater functions. 

How you do it jeff I don't know but I tried to test a few of them as well and it was like defending into a repetitive hell 3 times before I went back to my old app. 

Maybe xero has improved but any recommendations welcome. 

image.png

image.png

image.png