Sound Devices 702 -- New user, looking for advice

pustule

Hey guys,

My first post here, so I apologize in advance for any lame questions...

I just got a Sound Devices 702, and i'm planning on using it with contact mics for sound design, not so much for film, just mainly experimental audio recordings. 

I've got a pair of JrF C-Series contact mics, a Barcus Berry 4000 contact mic and a pair of Oktava MK-319 mics.

After looking through the menu's i'm a little overwhelmed, and just want to make sure i'm setting it up to record my files a decent way. There are different options for signal routing and recording bit-rates and I was hoping I could get some suggestions on good settings to use.

I do most of my mixing in garageband, and i'm not sure if the 24bit wav will be friendly with that. I know I need to just spend time with it, but I was just hoping for any helpful tips I could get for you guys.

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm really excited to start doing some field recordings!

Have you reviewed all the materials relating to the 7 Series recorders on the Sound Devices Users Forum? There is some good information there.

It sounds like you have two questions. One relates to your garageband software the other to setup the 91 different setup menu selections. I would print a copy of the manual and review the different factory presets (factory/film/reporter/music preset). My comparing them line by line you will notice subtle differences in the setup for different applications. Pick the one of the presets and make a sample recording. After you become more familiar with this unit you can start customizing your settings. By selecting any of the presets you will also be setting the track assignments.

Mark

702t user

hi, and welcome pus: " After looking through the menu's i'm a little overwhelmed, "

since you have told us so very little about yourself, we must believe you are a rookie, pretty much a beginner, so here are a few things:

buy, read, reread (aka study) : Producing Great Sound for Film and Video 4th edition www.dplay.com

and as for the SD menu's: RTFM, and then for more information visit SD's web site, and even join the SD users' support forum

This is a forum for Professionals in Production Sound for Television and Movies, so few of us are experienced or particularly knowledgeable in GarageBand; there are other, better forums for that.

one more thing: It isn't about the arrows, it is about the archer.

For the sound design work you're doing, record at a sample rate of 96K and 24 bit. This will give you more flexibility when you come to do pitch changing and other manipulations on your sounds.

One other thing: ditch GarageBand and learn Reaper. GB is slow, clunky, and a resource hog. Reaper is free to try out and then pretty low cost if you want to be an honest user. It has a minimal resource footprint, but a steep-ish learning curve if GB is all you've used in the past. Persevere with it and you'll learn to love it.

John