Hey Jeff, wasn't there a member buy/sell section?

Ty Ford

There are 2 commerce sections on the site and both require you to be a member to post anything for sale. Both sections can be browsed by un-registered Guests.

The longest running section is the Want To Buy - Want To Sell section which is really just regular discussions, posts, replies, etc., but set up to organize only those posts that relate to buying and selling.

The second section is the Classifieds section. This is a plug-in that generates a more traditional commerce site modeled after the classifieds. I spend no time there and I have no way of knowing whether it has been useful or productive for those that have been using it. My time is spent on the main sections of this site.

I'd say the Classified section is pretty much moribund. I've tried twice to contact sellers on that section and had no response whatsoever. The fact that there are now only two ads there (one of those for a simulated Leslie Speaker - not exactly relevant) and almost all of the interesting action is on the members' section speaks volumes. I'd ditch it, quite frankly.

Regards,

John

Thank you, John, for the heads up. I have spent just about zero time even checking how the Classifieds section is or is not functioning. I did look at it the other day and you are right, only about 2 things up there now. No one has ever taken the time to report to me whether it works or doesn't. I will think about getting rid of it (but then of course we're back to dealing with the inherent problems of mixing commerce and discussion. Personally, this has not bothered me, I think it makes for an interesting way to buy and sell, but I have had to suffer through a lot of complaints that generally take a certain form: "Can't you get rid of that guy that is talking about what I'm selling and putting everybody off not only the price but the item itself --- your site is killing my sale!"

Jeff - there's an excellent gear for sale group on FB. I sold a couple of things there which didn't even generate discussion here.

If people are worried about the "discussion", then there are plenty of other resources they can use to sell gear.

I wouldn't give it a moment of your time if someone complains. As you have stated many many many times before, this is not a commerce site.

The discussions may not "help" some sellers, but it sure helps a lot of members gather information about gear options and value.

If I sell stuff here, it's more about offering gear to friends I trust before putting it up to the public. I'm not looking to make a top price sale. Most members here are about bargains. We know what gear is worth, usually.

I agree, Jeff, you should spend little sweat equity toward those who can't be bothered to understand why this excellent site exists. Perhaps, you should just use a boilerplate answer, along the lines of:

The buy/sell section exists as an accommodation for active members here on the JWSoundgroup discussion forum. As a discussion forum, discussion is obviously appropriate. Those wishing to list "for sale" items on a commerce web site are advised to seek that elsewhere.

If you are referring to the regular Want To Buy - Want To Sell section, it is a regular section (Forum) like all the rest on the site. So, just like any other post, you can follow a post, you can set your filters when checking New Content the same as you do for any other posts.

The Classifieds section has been closed, for the moment, while I evaluate certain things. At this point, the only place for buying and selling will be the regular long running Want To Buy - Want To Sell section.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, the Want to Buy section only loads when signed in.  Not sure if that is intended or not.  Just so you're aware.  Thanks for everything Jeff!

Definitely intentional. There are enough problems, at times, even amongst our registered members, I didn't want to give random guests access to the WTB-WTS section.

• 2 years later...
5 hours ago, SebFilms said:

Hi Jeff, first thank you for your work on this site. I am signed in but I can't see the "sell/buy" page. Please let me know when you can. Thanks again

Sebastian

Also, you have only now reached the 5 posts minimum to access the section - as you have been told in that other thread