Studer A 800 Series 24 Track Audio Recorder

al mcguire

Fortunately, I was able to record my drums on tape before it went out of fashion. Back when I was recording Pro Tools was just starting to become the norm in studios and most people still had tape machines. I've recorded my drums both on tape and in pro tools, and I MUCH prefer tape. 

I seldom fire up my Studer A80 1/2-inch master tape machine, but when I do, I put a reel of 456 tape on it, and gracefully push the input level until I get just the right amount of tape compression. Recording a punchy, dense analogue mix on half inch tape @ 15IPS always bring a BIG smile on my face. :-D

The head bumps in the low end, the input and output transformers and the tape compression just glues the mix together in a wonderful way - making it sound "like a record".

I have most of the tape plug-ins available - Slate, UAD, Waves etcetera - and they are very useful when mixing. They sound mighty fine for smoothing out harsh sounding instruments and for beefing up the low-end of drums and bass. But they are not the real thing and never will be.

Ah, I just love pushing those big transport buttons! ;-D

post-8181-0-02226400-1409723772_thumb.jp

post-8181-0-63595400-1409723791_thumb.jp

Cheers

Fred