Timecode Buddy :pulse

VASI

The compact size and apparent simplicity of the :pulse is deceiving. It’s actually our most advanced and feature-packed piece of timecode technology yet. Yes, beyond the diminutive aluminum casing lies unrivalled timecode and metadata innovation, presenting a camera accessory that offers a single box solution to streamlining production workflows.

Use the :pulse to generate Timecode Buddy’s signature brand of super accurate timecode and genlock, sync with zero drift and use the integrated WiFi to share all of this information to multiple iPads. But we didn’t stop there.

The :pulse was designed to be the perfect partner to the ARRI Alexa, offering users full wireless camera control and status monitoring, access to full metadata and lens motor control conveniently from an iPad or iDevice.

pulseone.jpg

http://www.timecodebuddy.com/products/pulse/

Accurate TC and clock is a brand?  Or is it what the other TC boxes have been doing for many years?

philp

Well if you're gonna snipe, maybe continue after the comma in a sentence first ...

sync with zero drift and use the integrated WiFi to share all of this information to multiple iPads.

Well if you're gonna snipe, maybe continue after the comma in a sentence first ...

sync with zero drift and use the integrated WiFi to share all of this information to multiple iPads.

The first statement is separated from the others with an "and", which implies a new and possibly unique feature and is marketing-speak.  Again, we've had very accurate TC and clock boxes for years that had (have) extremely low drift with and without RF updating.   In their FB ad TCBuddy claims to be using "long-range RF", which is another example of marketing-speak.  What does "long-range" mean?  How measured?   What would be considered "short-range" by comparison?  The unique and cool features of TC Buddy have to do with its Wifi etc mojo…what it does TC+clock wise is and has been done by others.

philp

The first statement is separated from the others with an "and", which implies a unique and possibly unique feature and is marketing-speak.  Again, we've had very accurate TC and clock boxes for years that had (have) extremely low drift with and without RF updating.   In their FB ad TCBuddy claims to be using "long-range RF", which is another example of marketing-speak.  What does "long-range" mean?  How measured?   What would be considered "short-range" by comparison?  The unique and cool features of TC Buddy have to do with its Wifi etc mojo…what it does TC+clock wise is and has been done by others.

philp

Ha! Wonder if long range could mean a choice of 14 frequencies x3 for four continents to transmit timecode?

Multi-channel digital transceiver in

865.050-868.550 MHz (CE Approved),

915.050-918.650 MHz (FCC/IC Approved) and

920.600-923.200MHz (ARIB JAPAN Approved)

Set country area to

Europe/UK,

US/CA/AU/NZ,

Japan/China

That's a wide range, not long range.

I must admit to being underwhelmed by the Pulse (and irritated by the superfluous colon) It's reliance on the Alexa to get the most out of it seems to put it in a different market to ours, I'm guessing they're trying to get cam ops, DOPs etc on board. I can't see it does anything for me that the previous models did, and I was never impressed with them!

In their FB ad TCBuddy claims to be using "long-range RF", which is another example of marketing-speak.  What does "long-range" mean?  How measured?

I have a TCBuddy WiFi Master tucked away in my smallish Petrol bag, sandwiched between my 664 and my constantly hungry stomach - not the ideal position for a receiver. And then I have a TCBuddy Mini TRX sitting at the back of a Sony F55, between the camera and the battery (antenna folded but still sticking up slightly above the battery). The camera set to Rec Run sending time code when recording, Mini TRX sending the time code to the WiFi master which sends the time code to the 664. The mixer records when receiving time code and stops when not receiving incremental time code.

I'm very much depending on stable time code and TCBuddy haven't let me down yet.

It easily has a range of 100 meters, even with the receiver sandwiched between me and the 664. My photographer has been away filming stock footage in semi-close vicinity behind houses and out of sight while I've been chatting to the people we're filming, and the 664 has been going in and out of recording whenever the camera was recording.

Unless you're in a very special or odd recording environment, the TCBuddy system will be your best buddy when it comes to sync and time code. I do like that the smaller boxes - Mini TRX and RX - have Genlock outputs, for super accurate synchronization. I believe the smaller Ambient boxes doesn't have that feature.

Marketing-BS apart, the TCBuddy system is really cool. Colleagues using Ambient boxes throw jealousy eyes when I show them my system. LOL!

It's good sh*t! :D

Fred

something that carried a reference audio track along with TC would be great (ERX - i know) would have been more up our street than alexa camera controls _ obviously a richer strand to mine.

I also wondered if the teradeck collaboration might lead to something that put reference audio (without picture) out along with TC and metadata editing on wifi to app as well.

yep. niche market... redesign... contact manufacturer... free to build my own one... etc