Hawk-Woods Problem

Alan Barker

I’ve run into a couple of problems with the Hawk-Woods power distribution system when used with Lecrtosonics  wireless mics, wondering if anyone else has had the same. 

The first was when powering an SD442, Lecrtosonics receivers (any type) and Lectrosonics 400 series transmitters.  This was for a series I outfitted that was shot on an aircraft carrier.  When we were setting up the gear one of the soundmen, Gabe Monts, noticed right away that the signal to noise was terrible on the 400 series when used as camera hops.  They were OK when battery powered but terrible when powered by the Hawk-Woods.  We were told by Lectrosonics that the grounding circuitry was different in the 400s and did not interface well with Hawk Woods. 

The second problem occurred using the HW system with Lectro 201 receivers and 195 transmitters as camera hops on a PD-4.  The PD-4 was powered with an internal battery, the RX and TX powered by the HW system.  This time the transmitters cyclicly popped so long as everything was plugged into the PD-4. 

I have not had these problems using the BDS distribution system.

Any thoughts?

Alan Barker

what hawk woods system are you using?  i believe that only the np-u cup is regulated to 9v or 12v out (switched) the others are 12v or unregulated. ive tried the audio 2020 transmitters with powered input leads and they are (unsuprsingly) distorted with more than 9v power.

Good thinking but probably isn't a problem with Lectrosonics.  I'm using the NPC-XLR4S (strangely named as it has no XLR connectors) Hawk-Woods box.  It is switched and it passes full voltage which starts out at about 17.7v with Lithium NPs.  The receivers are rated for 10-18v.  The battery eliminator (MBATELIM) that replaces the 9v in the transmitter is a 12 to 9v converter, it has a max input of 24v.

what hawk woods system are you using?  i believe that only the np-u cup is regulated to 9v or 12v out (switched) the others are 12v or unregulated. ive tried the audio 2020 transmitters with powered input leads and they are (unsuprsingly) distorted with more than 9v power.

sorry if this is a really silly question. but your npc-xlr4s cup does have a 4 pin xlr connector on the trailing lead? and hasnt been replaced with a 4 pin hirose? if it has it could be worth checking the wiring of the hirose - maybe pin 1 is bridged to pin 2 and pin 3 bridged to pin 4. i know that on the SD744T you would wire like this if you want to charge the on board battery, and maybe this is doing something screwey.

other than that, good luck