Rycote Cyclone

VASI

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A company can have competition and still hold an effective monopoly of the market.

Note the consistent use of the word "exclusive" in the definition:

[muh-nop-uh-lee]

noun, plural monopolies.

1. exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices.

Compare duopoly, oligopoly.
2. an exclusive privilege to carry on a business, traffic, or service, granted by a government.

3. the exclusive possession or control of something.

4. something that is the subject of such control, as a commodity or service.
5. a company or group that has such control.

6. the market condition that exists when there is only one seller.
7. (initial capital letter) a board game in which a player attempts to gain a monopoly of real estate by advancing around the board and purchasing property, acquiring capital by collecting rent from other players whose pieces land on that property.

....but they need to show the product.

Happy to show you!

Rycote will be introducing the Cyclone at IBC - we are on the same stand as Schoeps. But many of you won't want to trek several thousand miles to Amsterdam so Scott Boland (Rycote's US uncle) is organising some in-store open houses in late October in both LA & NYC. He's keen that everyone gets a chance to play with the device, and also talk to me about it.

Obviously I'm declaring my interest - I had a big hand in designing it - but actually I want to congratulate Rycote for backing not only the manufacture but also the research needed for such a radical product. They could have chosen the safe, evolutionary, small-steps path - instead they have been prepared to look afresh at the problem of shielding microphones and be revolutionary, as they did with the lyre suspension.

It's been a long development, starting nearly twenty years ago with research at Southampton University into the transmission paths of handling noise. And it was the best part of a decade ago that I drew out the shape, and listed the basic parameters needed. It often surprises people (and company managements) how long the process of finding ideal materials and techniques to put an idea into practice can take, and it has been no different with the Cyclone. Devising something like 3D-tex to replace the highly effective traditional fur, yet improve on its reliability and consistency, has not been for the faint-hearted, and although basket suspensions to minimise handling noise have been demonstrated previously, producing one that allows instant access to the microphone has required considerable ingenuity. So too has the concept of a Z-split and a magnetic "self-building system" that allows the user to swap between completely bare mic and full basket in seconds.

Throughout this long gestation Rycote has been prepared to stick with the R&D, and let true science, endless testing, and precision engineering rule. That takes courage as well as deep pockets. I take my hat off to them.

www.rycote.com/cyclone

Chris Woolf

I love the idea of the floating basket!! Handling noise when using my WS4 is 10x when the basket is slid on cause of the fixed connection between pole and basket it transmittes the noise acoustically. The suspension has no influence on that one.

Hope to loose a lot of handling noise with the new Cyclone. Will try for sure. This and a low cut in the TRX742 ... (other thread).

Hey Chris- The super softie is said to have better performance in rain conditions. Not sure if that is due to the 3d tex material or other factors. If it is the 3d tex, does the cyclone offer the same improvements in the rain?

I'm sure they'll be very hospitable, and maybe even be able to show you one, but full production is due in October, I believe.

Chris Woolf

Can you contact me off-list about that? What you are finding doesn't match my testing, so I'd like to explore the problem further.

Chris Woolf

I haven't tried out the new super softie, have only picked up bits of real world use from others, but it seems that some are unhappy;

http://tubeshooter.co.uk/2014/07/05/review-rycote-super-softie-windjammer/

I'm a big Rycote fan (I own WS4, WS2, softie for MKH-8xxx, BBG for MKH-50) so please don't take this as an attack.

I'm a fan of most Rycote products as well, but as you mentioned the Super Softie performance has been disappointing for me. It was interesting, and somewhat encouraging to see that there might be a design flaw that could be remedied.

I haven't tried out the new super softie, have only picked up bits of real world use from others, but it seems that some are unhappy;

http://tubeshooter.co.uk/2014/07/05/review-rycote-super-softie-windjammer/

I'm a big Rycote fan (I own WS4, WS2, softie for MKH-8xxx, BBG for MKH-50) so please don't take this as an attack.

Pretty disappointed in the Super Softie performance vs the Classic Softie. I've A/B'd it in a few situations (with a CMIT) and the Classic has won every time. The Super was letting wind through in some pretty low wind situations as well. Just a heads up.

These were my team's findings also using the 12" versions of the Super and Classic.

Eric