Rycote Cyclone

VASI

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have not been impressed with the super softie. I switched back to my s series zeplin and am much happier.

Of course, a full enclosure will always be better, that's an unfair comparison. What's the super softie like compared the classic?

Personally, I have never seen a point in these softies, no matter from which maker. When there is wind, I always reach for a zep, with or without fur

Of course, a full enclosure will always be better, that's an unfair comparison. What's the super softie like compared the classic?

Personally, I have never seen a point in these softies, no matter from which maker. When there is wind, I always reach for a zep, with or without fur

This is true, zeplins will always out preform. I didn't mean to make a direct comparison.

I was never happy with the original softie, I bought the super softie hoping it be better, and I still wasn't happy, so I went back to using zeplins.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the super softie doesn't perform as good as the classic. Softies are extremely useful because of there size and weight. There are quite a few situations where you are running from inside to outside and back with no time to dismantle a zep and no need for the extreme wind protection, or a place to store the pods when dismantled. The classic softie covers 90% of what I do, including climbing mountains, boat shoots, etc. They also sound better than a Zep with fur. Would've been nice to have a usable upgrade.

i like the concept but i will wait. there are some of us recordist here that have questions about MS, XY and more complex rigs like DMS and ORTF that are wondering about sizing. or even those who are using the BBG's with say MKH 50, CMC 641's etc. especially with the revelation that the new material use is so much better. 

I don't quite understand this part. Probably a mistype or autocorrect issue, but I'd like to grasp what you were trying to say here.

opps. 

even those who are using the BBG's with say MKH 50, CMC 641's etc. especially with the revelation that the new material use is so much better. 

For those disappointed in SuperSoftie performance, might want to check in with Rycote on the issue.  I contacted them about the poor performance of mine and turns out it suffers from a manufacturing defect so they're replacing it.  Very glad I contacted them rather than just bitch about it.  

For those disappointed in SuperSoftie performance, might want to check in with Rycote on the issue.  I contacted them about the poor performance of mine and turns out it suffers from a manufacturing defect so they're replacing it.  Very glad I contacted them rather than just bitch about it.

Please let us know if the replacement performs as expected.

Spoke with Redding today. They are being really cool about replacing defective Super Softies. IF you are having a problem I suggest you contact them. Top notch service! Also, Mike at Redding mentioned that there was a "filling problem" with some of the early units. Not sure on model number range for this, but a good test is to compare the performance to the classic softie. If it is inferior than there is a problem.

I got my replacement SuperSoftie yesterday (very quick shipment from Redding!) so tried it out today on a breezy clear day and can say that it performs more in line with what I would expect.  Much better in crosswind than the defective one I tried before and put aside wondering, was it really that windy?  

In terms of wind protection it seems about the same as my old furry Softie but with clearer sound which is great news on milder days when a full Zep isn't necessary.  . FWIW,  I'm using a size 12cm (short) w a Senn 8060.  

F9B8B97F-9827-431F-A15C-DDA4A11A6A29.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone near LA or NY Redding Audio have organised some open house events - Tuesday Oct 21st in the morning at Location Sound Corp, and in the afternoon at Trew Audio (LA). And then in NY on Thursday Oct 23rd in the morning at Professional Sound Services, and in the afternoon at Gotham Sound.

Full details:

I'll be there to talk to anyone about Cyclone, 3D-tex and anything Rycote-related. Good to meet some of you in person.

Chris Woolf

Can there be a version that fit the mkh70 and mkh8070?

Sadly no. Rycote will be doing two shorter versions for mics such as the MKH50 and for compact capsules, but the very long mics don't sell in large enough numbers to warrant the immense tooling costs of a giant Cyclone. Of course if you all want to order several 100....

In truth I believe that intelligently directional microphones along the lines of the Super-CMIT (which fits the Cyclone) are more likely to be used in the future rather than very long interference tube designs.

Chris Woolf