Rycote Cyclone

VASI

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Rycote is making their way through NYC today! Visit your usual suspects and get an ears on listen to these awesome windshields! Rycote is here to answer all of your questions and to help you hear why the Cyclone is the must have Windshield!

Spent the morning listening to the Cyclone with Rycote. Feel free to post questions here for general discussion or message me for direct contact info!

• 2 weeks later...

according to the Rycote Cyclone specs sheet "the maximum safe operating temperature" is 38°C (100°F)!!

38°C is not much!

isnt that basically saying: dont use this outside in the summer, and/or in direct sunlight??

what will happen? will it melt? explode?? or just let the wind in again??

::)

anyone using it, know if they sell a high wind cover for this?, i often take the deadcat off and put the high wind cover then the dead cat over it,

maybe this cyclone covers both?

In the videos from ibc he was claiming the cyclone is so good it doesn't need any covering at all. That was the design intention apparently. That said, they will be selling a windjammer for it for those who need to record in extreme weather... no high wind cover (thin felt).

according to the Rycote Cyclone specs sheet "the maximum safe operating temperature" is 38°C (100°F)!!

38°C is not much!

isnt that basically saying: dont use this outside in the summer, and/or in direct sunlight??

what will happen? will it melt? explode?? or just let the wind in again??

::)

Oh dear! How to produce and read specifications...

I have a marked distaste for specifying anything I can't test reliably. Therefore I tend to to be very conservative about what gets written into a spec. It was suggested that I checked a range for the Cyclone of -40°C to + 40°C. I couldn't freeze anything harder than -20°C so I set that as the lower limit... and somehow 40°C was translated into 100°F (38°C), due to someone's penchant for round numbers.

These are environmental temperatures - what the operator will be suffering. They are not the point at which things auto-destruct. That isn't how specifications are written.

In practice I can tell you that you can dry water from 3D-tex at 60°C quite safely - that's the maximum temperature that a hand or hair dryer should heat your skin to. But even that isn't the temperature at which any of the materials start to soften or melt. You can use the Cyclone in bright sunshine without any qualms, and while we've seen more than a few furry Windjammers frizzed from being held near to a tungsten lamp for a while, 3D-tex is vastly less vulnerable. But I don't have an environmental chamber for prolonged testing at elevated temperatures, so I can't specify all that.

Hytrel (just one of the very high spec plastics we use) retains its properties down to well below -20°C - but if I give a "guess specification" down to -30°C someone will complain that the cross-linked PVC insulation of the cable has become solid at that temperature, and renders the suspension somewhat pointless.

Most equipment comes with an environmental spec which the manufacturer knows will completely safe - it doesn't mean it will stop working beyond that.

Rycote people aren't daft, and we wouldn't make something that wasn't entirely fit of purpose.

Chris Woolf

In the videos from ibc he was claiming the cyclone is so good it doesn't need any covering at all. That was the design intention apparently. That said, they will be selling a windjammer for it for those who need to record in extreme weather... no high wind cover (thin felt).

It is indeed the design intention.

Moving to a new material has meant a great many changes - the shape, the dimensions, the basket  suspension technique - all of which are mandatory, but also highly beneficial. While fur is a remarkable and useful material it has distinct drawbacks, and getting away from it allows us to do several new things. Instant access to the microphone has been something that everyone who has played with the pre-production samples has been impressed by. The magnetic assembly method is radical, and incredibly easy to use because you don't need to put fur over it.

Rycote will produce a Windjammer for the Cyclone, if people want to go out into staggeringly windy locations, but these would be the sort of places where previous types of windshield could not have coped at all. It will be a rarely bought option, rather than a necessity included in the kit.

High wind covers have been something of an anachronism since fur was introduced - they only add a very small increase in wind noise reduction. However they do frequently get used as dust covers and washable outer layers on conventional windshields. Since 3D-tex is easy to wash (and dry) we don't anticipate a call for them with the Cyclone, with the great benefit of keeping acoustic transparency very high at all times.

Chris Woolf

thanks Chris...

as you know, this is a very tough room.

Nah! You're all sweet pussy cats really...

I've lived with the design of Cyclone for a long time, so I know that I would never be so daft as to make something that melted like an ice-cream in the sun. I've poled a good many mics over the years, so the basic problems of heat (natural and tungsten), freezing cold and numb fingers, winds strong enough to remind you why you need proper aerodynamic balance etc, are all second nature to me.

But, in fairness, most of you don't know that, so I don't mind you testing me out!

Chris Woolf

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, there's plenty of room to add the CCM8 onto the CMIT, it'll just need a CB8 Connbox in place of the standard cable.

We'll be showing some prototypes of the two smaller sizes of Cyclone at NAB in a couple of weeks (available in the summer), and then also MS variants, XY & DMS later in the year at IBC. Plus after a few requests, we'll have a 5cm Super-Softie to show too at NAB.

Cheers,

Simon

Is there enough space for a msall figue of eight mic for MS Setups? Like a CMIT -- CCM8 combination used with the Rycote Clips.

Yes, and I was pleased to find the screw holes are already there on the rail to fix the conbox so I just swapped the conbox over from my old setup to the Cyclone and it worked straight away, including cables and lengths etc.