Flying with Lithium ion batteries will get a lot more difficult

chris_bollard

I've spoken to a lot of people who are very cavalier about checking lithium batteries.

Better to do the right thing and carry them on - imagine how embracing it would be for the airline to X-ray your cases and find them. Your name is called after you have boarded the flight. You then delay take off while you get your lithium batts out and do a walk of shame back on to the full aircraft with the other passengers blaming you for their delay.

This happens.....

Better to do the right thing and carry them on - imagine how embracing it would be for the airline to X-ray your cases and find them. Your name is called after you have boarded the flight. You then delay take off while you get your lithium batts out and do a walk of shame back on to the full aircraft with the other passengers blaming you for their delay.

This happens.....

This happened only a few weeks ago to the DOP I was travelling with. I always carry mine on board. Ended up lending my V-Locks until his got couriered to him.

This happens.....

I think some people have had stories that they arrived at their destination and the batteries had been pulled out of their luggage.

Many of the drone batteries used today don't have a plastic container/housing, and consist of the cells wrapped in a thin film and then folded/glued, to reduce size/weight. The attached wiring usually terminates in several small molex type connectors that can easily shear off in handling/transport resulting in the battery terminals shorting.

Fortunately most gold mount and IDX type batteries have much sturdier packaging and battery terminals.

frail drone battery examples:

245bhnp.jpg8vzvbr.pnging0bd.jpg

Not sure if it helps, but I have the regs printed out and in my bag with the batteries. I'm currently using the B4B batteries, and their site lists their battery models and how many grams of lithium are in each one. My understanding is that the capacity is the guideline, but grams of lithium is what makes it a battery that can/can't be carried on an airplane.

And, having tried to board an internal flight in Buenos Aries, we weren't allowed to take any of our batteries on the flight. Security insisted we try and out them in the hold, check in flat out refused. Fortunately we were able to get the batteries on their way to us via ground transport. Hopefully to arrive in the next hour.

With us travelling with 14 NP1's, 6 BPU and 160 AA's, it's lucky that we had the time and option to get the batteries on the road.

The bigger danger is a loose LiIon battery shorting the terminals. A laptop battery (or similar) is pretty stable in its housing. That's why people like us carrying a bunch of loose batteries are the bigger risk. That's also why you are supposed to gaff tape the terminals, even carrying them on board.

chris: " Good idea to carry a copy of the regulations covering what is and isn't allowed so you can show present it if the uniforms at the airport say you can't carry your batts on board. "

while it is a positive idea, do not be surprised when "officials" discount any document you provide and show them.  (after all, you are the enemy!)

Edited by studiomprd