Sound Devices 633 limiter issues

petesmith

I recently bought a sound devices 633 and I was recording football with two MH60s for FX (inputs 1 and 2) and (R channel) and commentator (L channel) (input 3). The input trims (course gain) on inputs 1 and 2 (MH60 FX mics) were at around 11 o'clock and the faders were at around 10 o'clock and the FX were peaking at around -10 dBU. A goal was then score and there was a cheer. The limiters were set at their default 16 dBU but the sound seemed seemed to be getting limited at around 10 dBU for some reason and then there were two short busts where the peaks jumped up to the 16dBU  level. This happened on three occasions during the match. Has anyone else experienced this before? Or do they know what I am doing wrong? I've attached a sample of the sound. Sadly I didn't think to save the setup file. Any help is greatly appreciated,

all the best,

Pete

Crowd_LimiterIssues_.mp3

Hi Senator,

Thanks for the quick response. I contacted them a few days ago and they're not sure whats happened. I sent them a bit of other info and hopefully they'll get back to me again soon. I just wanted to check on this forum in case I was missing something obvious or if anyone else had had a similar problem.

Hi,  I had a similar problem with 633 serial #LL0213338004.  I was getting hits, shorter than yours, that were somewhat random but often happened at the onset of program level audio after a moment of lower level audio.  I was getting this at ordinary speech levels using a Sanken CS3e.  I did hours of testing, different mics, cables, levels, etc and was unable to duplicate the problem.  I retired that CS3e.  Then, in the field, the problem would randomly crop up again with another CS3e and wireless mics.  Then one day while recording a gospel choir I had a hard clip, below limiter level which was at 18 dBu, really ugly, unusable.  The choir was loud but not that loud.  My practice is to set gain by putting the fader at 12 o'clock then bringing up the trim so the level is healthy.  From there I mix with the fader.  The trim pot was not exceptionally low, not enough to indicate a preamp issue.  I did more hours of testing at high dB levels and could not duplicate that problem even with the trim pot quite far down. I dealt with Jayson Moyer at  SD who was very helpful but also unable to duplicate the problem.  As the problem was intermittent I told SD that a repair would not do.  They graciously exchanged the 633.  The "new" one they gave me was a return but I was able to contact the previous owner as his name was in the metadata.  It had not been returned for a problem.  This unit has never shown either of the above problems.  

Thanks for the replies Rob and Alan! I also thought it might be some kind of gain structure issue but what you said Alan has me worried as it sounds very similar to my problem. I'll mention the gain structure suggestion to sound devices and see what they come back with. Thanks again for you help.