New Rode Stereo VideoMic X

Dave

New, interesting stereo mic coming from Rode :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RscPsKiFXI

http://www.rodemic.com/svmx

Curious about the sound sample in the video clip - recorded on the DSLR shown or another device??? No mention.  The flamenco guitar clip doesn't seem Kosher - overdubbed solo, maybe flown in from another clip?

Apparently made of aluminum rather than plastic which is nice.

Cheers,

Dave

No idea how it was recorded. Guess would be (and ears suggest) not a DSLR.

And again, I guess but I'd think the guitar clip was captured with the mic on the shoot. Would seem super-deceptive if not. And note at 0:15 the guitarist is playing through an amplifier...

Rode says, "The Stereo VideoMic X will retail for US$799." Not sure I'd pay that much for that mic.

Just so it's handy, here's the demo video Dave (and I) are talking about (since for me at least, it didn't embed in Dave's post above):

• 4 years later...

Although the thread is old it's worth pointing out that it's very susceptible to humidity problems.

I've got one and it has gone berserk two times for me because of that. In both cases I was in high humidity situations. The first one, recording the dusk chorus at a wetland and the second time recording ambience and some birds at a beach. The microphone turned out to be a mist prediction device, it begun making noise right before the mist came :)

Anyway I guess the only robust solution to record outside will be Sennheiser's MKH series. I wonder why Rode didn't make the SVMX RF biased, after all they already have two RF biased models.

6 hours ago, Patrick Tresch said:

Yes it is prone to humidity and about the same as the Schoeps CCM41 wich has a real issue with humidity. Sennheiser doesn't have this issue.

Never once in 15 years had any humidity issue with my CCM41 or CCM4, in all kinds of conditions.

'Real issue with humidity' not encountered here.

On 9/23/2018 at 3:26 PM, borjam said:

I wonder why Rode didn't make the SVMX RF biased, after all they already have two RF biased models.

Hardly a mystery: surely a cost/price/market decision, as an RF biased model - a la NTG3 and NTG8 - would doubtless be decidedly more expensive. And the SVMX already seems rather highly priced for what it is...!

Cheers,

Roland