Something between MKH50 and CS3e

jozzafunk

Indeed Marc. For me it is now a matter of knowing my mics and choosing the right one for the jobs from the memory of them and experience. But generally I go as follow:

Mkh50: indoor very noisy place where I can swing the boom with confidence of who will be talking next ( due to a very sharp off axis response of the mic ). Sitdown interviews where the mic is fix and talent is not really moving.

CMC641: Any material that I need to be able to use the off axis response to my advantage meaning work the mic using almost only the off axis and so be able to transfer from one talent to the next without any drastic or sudden frequency change. Perfect for documentary, scripted multi talent scenes and/or more adlib type fiction work ( does last second added lines nobody knew anything about ). Also low ceiling, reverberant room where I can get pretty close.

DPA4017B-R: Everything else, meaning outdoors, run the gun where I can only choose one mic, loud environment where the mic needs to whistand high SPL level, high humidity environment, situation where I have no idea what is going to be thrown at me.

My two cents...

Pascal

I have heard the 8060 is very different than the 60. Many people who aren't fans of the 60 are fans of the 8060.

But here's my opinion... My MKH50 gets me thorough a VAST majority of indoor or outdoor work which can be captured on the boom. If it's very loud, I hear the Sanken is the king. I only every tried it in a quiet environment and found the self noise irritating. I use a CMIT sometimes, which I don't love, but when it's great it is truly remarkable. I'm not sure that there are many mics that will make enough of a difference "between" your two mics of choice if you are doing interviews and documentary work.

If you are in dire need of spending $1000+ on something, evaluate if there's other gear which would help you. Perhaps something that'll make working alone a bit easier for you could be money better spent.

Just my opinion.

+1 for the 4017. If you use low profile xlr's, not only does it sound great in most situations, it is ultra compact in size and fits in more compact sized zepelins when needed - i believe it is a no2 i use mine in with plenty of clearance on both ends.

Ken

Thanks for the ideas - I boomed a show with a 4017 ( not sure if it was B ) a few years back and really liked it, that seems like the top contender.

It would be awesome if the 50 covered everything, this I have tried many times but it just doesn't have the reach or isolation sometimes, and I'm finding charging around with 2 blimps is causing more stress than it's worth.

Have used a cmit a bit and found it's either really nice or a bit odd and have had more than one post guy express their reservations about them to me.

And whilst the cs3e is amazing at picking stuff out I just don't really like the sound, though I find it's generally better upon listening back than it sounds at the time.

Ive got a few options with some of the locals so will hunt down 4017/8060 and give them a whirl methinks.