AudioRoot Power solutions review

RadoStefanov

I was just joking Erkal as those batteries are quiet heavy and could hurt your back in the long run. ;)

Stay well!

Engin

Its good for the six packs :P

Nah im hoping to switch to the new Sonosax R4+ at some point, thats when the Audioroot system will come very handy i think...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I recently acquired the Audio Root eSmart BG-DH MKII + four Inspired Energy batteries (98Wh / 6.8Ah) and on day one I noticed my Nomad and all four of my SRbs getting very very hot. Definitely more hot to the touch than usual. 

I am powering all 5 units with the single Audio Root distro. 

Granted, it was 98dg outside and the temp gauge on the Audio Root was reading a steady 37dg (C) but I've used my rig in warmer weather and have not noticed the SRBs getting this hot before. 

Has anyone else using this system noticed a rise in gear temp? 

Cheers,

Evan Meszaros

• 1 year later...

It's been a couple of years now. How is your AudioRoot Distro holding up? Comments on their durability and road ruggedness would be good. I've had to replace two power supplies for the two bay charger. They were replaced no charge, and I've been very happy with my BG-DH MKII, so far. It has changed the way I work with my gear. I still love all the information I get all day. I got it in January. 

I've had my AudioRoot BG-DU for a while and it's working great in the bag with my Nomad. My Maxx bag has a BatteryBud2, so no display. 

Im using the Inspired Energy batteries with their chargers. I have a 2 Bay and a 1 bay. I am using the AudioRoot cups. I'd heard they were more secure than the I.E. ones. I didn't know Remote Audio had their own cups for sale yet. I got my setup a while ago, so before RA started distributing them. They seem to be the faster way to get the batteries. it's great people are using these, and I'm very happy to see Remote Audio working with them. They're a leap ahead of NP1s. 

I've had my AudioRoot BG-DU for a while and it's working great in the bag with my Nomad. My Maxx bag has a BatteryBud2, so no display. 
Im using the Inspired Energy batteries with their chargers. I have a 2 Bay and a 1 bay. I am using the AudioRoot cups. I'd heard they were more secure than the I.E. ones. I didn't know Remote Audio had their own cups for sale yet. I got my setup a while ago, so before RA started distributing them. They seem to be the faster way to get the batteries. it's great people are using these, and I'm very happy to see Remote Audio working with them. They're a leap ahead of NP1s. 

Yeah these are a no-brainer. Cheaper, smaller, and last around 50% longer than the NP-1s. I use the Remote Audio "skin" version with the AudioRoot cup and a BDSv4u. Excellent. The cup is a little tight which is better than a little loose but it does scare me when putting in/taking out batteries because I'm afraid of bending the pins but so far absolutely no problems after 6 months of use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BAB414 said:

Yeah these are a no-brainer. Cheaper, smaller, and last around 50% longer than the NP-1s. I use the Remote Audio "skin" version with the AudioRoot cup and a BDSv4u. Excellent. The cup is a little tight which is better than a little loose but it does scare me when putting in/taking out batteries because I'm afraid of bending the pins but so far absolutely no problems after 6 months of use.

I agree totally on BAB414's assessment of the batteries. I get so much time out of the two 98Wh batteries on full charge, I'm going to buy the half size 49Wh batteries and lighten my bag some. 

I love the cup. It's snug, and stays on there in the bag, no problems, all day. There's a special way I take the cup off the Audio Root batteries. With my thumb, I 'peel' it off, starting with the side of the cup that has the pins. So the pin side snaps off first, with the pins exiting slots, and the cup rolls over the end of the battery. This seems to work with respect to protecting the pins, which really are more like blades. This works every time flawlessly and smoothly.

Really, the blades are actually quite sturdy and not prone to bending. Seems you'd cut yourself on them before they'd bend. They're also well recessed into the cup.

6 hours ago, Wandering Ear said:

I have two AU distros, both have worked flawlessly.  I prefer the au charger over the IE charger for both the status display and no fans.  The IE chargers are very loud.

The Audioroot chargers are a godsend when you're sleeping right next to your charger in a cramped hotel room on the road. Couldn't be happier. My IDX NP1's have now been relegated to cart monitor duties.

I agree totally on BAB414's assessment of the batteries. I get so much time out of the two 98Wh batteries on full charge, I'm going to buy the half size 49Wh batteries and lighten my bag some. 
I love the cup. It's snug, and stays on there in the bag, no problems, all day. There's a special way I take the cup off the Audio Root batteries. With my thumb, I 'peel' it off, starting with the side of the cup that has the pins. So the pin side snaps off first, with the pins exiting slots, and the cup rolls over the end of the battery. This seems to work with respect to protecting the pins, which really are more like blades. This works every time flawlessly and smoothly.
Really, the blades are actually quite sturdy and not prone to bending. Seems you'd cut yourself on them before they'd bend. They're also well recessed into the cup.

Thanks for the tip on the peeling. I'll give it a try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

No problem. Hope it helps.

Really, I'm so happy with my AudioRoot system, that I'm left wondering if this is too good to be true, hence my dredging and updating of this thread.

Any problems or trends that anyone may have experienced in this last two years with the AudioRoot batteries, charger, power supply, fuel gauges, cabling, battery cup, etc? 

Besides the power supply (which I've learned is a known issue, and both were replaced in a hurry - no charge), I've no complaints.

Anyone using the Remote Audio cup? Curious about it's hold on the batteries

Do they have them finished yet? Trew doesn't have a photo up.
Considering how solid the RA NP1 cups are, I'd be curious to see what they have.... if it's something they're designing in house and not just the I.E. one.
One thing to be aware of, there are 2-wire and 4-wire versions. If Remote Audio is selling them for their BDS system, they don't need the 4-wires. Check that if you have Audio Root smart distro boxes.
Audio Root also sells a 2-wire version that I accidentally bought. The 2 additional wires are needed for the eSmart data on the smart distro boxes.

No photo here:
https://www.trewaudio.com/product/remote-audio-bdshqin/

17 hours ago, Rachel Cameron said:

Hey Rachel, I'm curious as to what type of bag you're planning on powering with the half size 49Wh batteries?

I've been thinking about going with the Audio Root system for my documentary kit (744, 416, 2 wires), and would also lean towards the lighter 49Wh option if they would suffice.

Hey Rachel, I'm curious as to what type of bag you're planning on powering with the half size 49Wh batteries?
I've been thinking about going with the Audio Root system for my documentary kit (744, 416, 2 wires), and would also lean towards the lighter 49Wh option if they would suffice.

I have one 49Wh battery. Works for my Maxx, especially if I'm not running a bunch of wireless. I initially got it to power a Camera hop receiver, but when I switched to the RX 200, I just use the internal AA batteries for that. It's also nice to carry "just in case" I need to swap out a battery. These 98Wh batteries will power my nomad rig pretty easily for half a day or more.
The Audioroot chargers are a godsend when you're sleeping right next to your charger in a cramped hotel room on the road. Couldn't be happier. My IDX NP1's have now been relegated to cart monitor duties.

Ahhh that's interesting. I have heard that the newer versions do not automatically spin up the fan as soon as you put a battery on them. Still, those fans are loud when they start going.

11 hours ago, Dave Pullmer said:

Hey Dave, I'm using about the same rig. 633, MKH50, Dual SRb (two wireless). With the AudioRoot 98Wh batteries, this would give me about a day and a half of battery life from each 98Wh battery. Keep in mind: this was if I was conservative with the battery power, and didn't just leave it on all day, or between set ups. With the 633 QuickBoot, when the call to lock it up happened, it was only about three seconds to hit both switches on the AudioRoot BG DH MkII to power up the 633/SRb, punch record, and get rolling.

With your 744T just having LED meters...as opposed to the OLED screen of the 633, I bet it would be even less power draw...but I've not tried my 744T on it yet, since I've now relegated that as my back up recorder. So I'm not sure. But the last job was all twelve hour days, and I only had to set up the charger every other day. Hope this helps. Rachel

18 hours ago, johnpaul215 said:

I have one 49Wh battery. Works for my Maxx, especially if I'm not running a bunch of wireless. I initially got it to power a Camera hop receiver, but when I switched to the RX 200, I just use the internal AA batteries for that. It's also nice to carry "just in case" I need to swap out a battery. These 98Wh batteries will power my nomad rig pretty easily for half a day or more.

Copy that - thanks.

7 hours ago, Rachel Cameron said:

Hey Dave, I'm using about the same rig. 633, MKH50, Dual SRb (two wireless). With the AudioRoot 98Wh batteries, this would give me about a day and a half of battery life from each 98Wh battery. Keep in mind: this was if I was conservative with the battery power, and didn't just leave it on all day, or between set ups. With the 633 QuickBoot, when the call to lock it up happened, it was only about three seconds to hit both switches on the AudioRoot BG DH MkII to power up the 633/SRb, punch record, and get rolling.

With your 744T just having LED meters...as opposed to the OLED screen of the 633, I bet it would be even less power draw...but I've not tried my 744T on it yet, since I've now relegated that as my back up recorder. So I'm not sure. But the last job was all twelve hour days, and I only had to set up the charger every other day. Hope this helps. Rachel

Thanks for the info Rachel! It sounds like the 49Wh will definitely cut it. I am planning on upgrading to the 633 when the time is right, but for now it's helpful to know I'll be covered either way - and can lighten the bag a touch.