Has anyone bought an 8060 to replace a 416 and been disappointed?

fezedi

I know a lot of people here (and everywhere) love the 416 and use it extensively. However, is that because they have been using it for so long and haven't tried the 8060 (which I think Sennheiser hints as 416's newest replacement)?

Or are there many people who have tried the 8060 and returned it in favour of sticking with the 416?

I haven't had the chance to use either, and am debating which one to get for outdoor booming. I'm in Pakistan and it's noisey here so directionality and rejection of unwanted ambience is of prime importance.

Also, I know there are other threads in which 8060 is discussed and loved, but I'm specifically interested in people who have exchanged the 8060 for a 416.

Thanks

welcome, fez: " people who have exchanged the 8060 for a 416. "

maybe

these mic's are extensively discussed, and even compared on this group. 

many (including me) own both...

" I'm in Pakistan and it's noisey here... "

there is a lot of that everywhere...

there is no wrong choice here to make.

Edited by studiomprd

I bought an 8060 which turned out to be faulty. After the first time it had to go back to the factory I immediately bought a 416. The 8060 had to go back to the factory a further 2 times before I got sick of it and swapped it for an MKH-50. I'm sure there are plenty of faulty 8060's out there, so buyer beware.

Bought the 8060 and hit the fault issue. Senn was great and replaced. Ended up back with the 416 for a few reasons. 

1. In the high humidity in the swamps, it's the 1 mic I have no worries about

2. The high freq bump that's present on the 8060 is more pronounced than the 416. Exteriors with Crickets, bugs etc the 8060 really pulled the noise of those creatures way up. Interior, it just didn't  fit with any existing mic in my kit.

The mic Senn sent me as a replacement was rock solid and had no issues so whatever the issue was has been fixed..

Don't forget about the 8040, which is my go-to mic for interiors. For those who like the Schoeps MK41 (and who doesn't) but for whatever reason want to use the Sennheiser MKH-80XX series, the 8040 is a closer match than the 8050. (The MK41 is the capsule on the US Schoeps model CMC641).

Glen Trew

• 11 months later...

Don't forget about the 8040, which is my go-to mic for interiors. For those who like the Schoeps MK41 (and who doesn't) but for whatever reason want to use the Sennheiser MKH-80XX series, the 8040 is a closer match than the 8050. (The MK41 is the capsule on the US Schoeps model CMC641).

Interesting. Are there significant differences to the character of the sound between the 8040 and 8050 or is it mostly just the tighter pattern of the latter? I'm in need of an interior mic but am wondering if an 8050 is a mic one could also use as an allrounder for documentary type of situations. My current main mic is the Sanken CS3e which mostly works great but in some unscripted situations where the talents are further apart the pattern is a bit too tight (and the mic a too long for some indoors situations)

edit: by allrounder I mean something that would work for most of the time, and I could pull out the CS3e for those situations where the mic's uber-rejection is required.

Edited by Karri

I bought an 8060 which turned out to be faulty. After the first time it had to go back to the factory I immediately bought a 416. The 8060 had to go back to the factory a further 2 times before I got sick of it and swapped it for an MKH-50. I'm sure there are plenty of faulty 8060's out there, so buyer beware.

Sennheiser has fixed the issues.

The mkh8060 is better then mkh416 in my opinion.

It has wider sweetspot.

Less noise.

Sounds good indoors.

Smaller " well mine is not smaller because I use the mzd8000 AES module

You can also look in to DPA 4017C. - Great mic

Sennheiser has fixed the issues.

From what I gather from some dealings with Sennheiser earlier this year, they redesigned the 8000 series preamp PCB and these have been shipping from around the start of the year. I had issues with an 8060 and Sennheiser swapped it out for a new one within a week. Newer versions seem to have a plastic ring at the end of the mic module

I sold one of my two 416 after I had bought my second 8060. Find myself using the 416 only as a backup, if the 8060 is too sensitive for wind noise or if HF radiation from electric installations is causing some rare issues. No probs with humidity yet. I have been an early adopter and I also had issues with my first mic, but thats been 3 years ago. Senn exchanged it and my two units have been without fault for the last 3 years.

I love the 8060 sound and it's pickup especially indoors. HF boost is present, but imo smoother than 416.

In interiors with not too much ugly reverb booming 1,5 m overhead can still sound like a close up. I know of no other short shotgun which can do this. 

cons:

- susceptible to wind noise
- very rare occasions of HF interference (like 3 times in 3 years)
- there is an existing issue with Lectrosonics UH400a and HM plug-on Txs that can cause intermittent "sizzling" noises. Changing the Tx frequency provides short term help but I did not yet find out what really causes the issue.

If it is your going to be your only (shotgun) mic and if you need 100% reliablility I would go with the 416 though.

Or are there many people who have tried the 8060 and returned it in favour of sticking with the 416?

Yep, bought it, liked it, then it became faulty and ended up buying a 416 and swapping the 8060 for an MKH50. Loved the size and weight but was just too unreliable. Not sure if the issues have been sorted out yet or not but I've long since moved on...

8040 is really great on instruments--esp violin family.  Up there w/ Schoeps and some music recordists prefer it to Schoeps.  We had a brace of them up in a very drafty hall with wide swings of temp (HVAC on during shows and off otherwise), no humid issues.  These were well-used rental mics, far from new, so go figure.

p

How does it do with just a softie for wind?

the 8060 is very susceptible to wind noise. You'd need at least a  dedicated basket and fur solution (or cinela). Rycote#3 fits easily, but in my experience size 4 offers better wind protection. 

Senn provides a foam windscreen for indoor use which is more efficient than 3rd party windscreens, but colorates the sound in the way that it takes away much it's unique "airy", "open" sound impression that I like so much with this mic. With the foam put on it sounds more like the usual "shotgun". 

We often end up using two 8060 on two booms to avoid fast boom movements. So we can skip the foam windscreens and get the true 8060 image. 

No complaints on the low end.  No need for inline filter. I now use the AES mic and have no way to low cut from the Nomad. Still have not heard it to be a problem.

If you can get hold of an AES42 mode 2 controller (like the Neumann DMI-2), you can set a low cut on in the DSP of the MZD8000.  I've found the 8060 to be a lot less sensitive to LF than the 8050 and 8040, though

the 8060 is very susceptible to wind noise. You'd need at least a  dedicated basket and fur solution (or cinela). Rycote#3 fits easily, but in my experience size 4 offers better wind protection. 

Senn provides a foam windscreen for indoor use which is more efficient than 3rd party windscreens, but colorates the sound in the way that it takes away much it's unique "airy", "open" sound impression that I like so much with this mic. With the foam put on it sounds more like the usual "shotgun". 

We often end up using two 8060 on two booms to avoid fast boom movements. So we can skip the foam windscreens and get the true 8060 image. 

Mine lives in a Rycote WS1 at all times (with MZL), even indoors as I find it sounds better than when using foam