Replacement (i.e. better quality) tire for RocknRoller/multicart?

Josh Bass

Hi gents. Long time no post. I'm the guy who is "not a sound guy." Anyway, surely some of you use RocknRollers to cart your stuff around? That is what I'm sticking with for now, so let's not suggest other carts, but, I have an R12 All Terrain with no flats and I either have a lemon (very possible) or these tires are just not that great. They moan and groan under a very moderate load and when really weighed down with cart extended are just torture. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for other tires (i.e. not made by RocknRoller/multicart) that might work better. I'm open to other no flat types or even pneumatics if they don't go flat every two days. Searched online but tough to find 10" tires with the right bore size (I'm told it's 5/8" but it might be 3/4"). Thanks.

JB: " not made by RocknRoller/multicart "

you are starting with a misconception: the cart fabricators do not typically make the tires, they outsource appropriate wheels and/or tires for the design.

there are lots, and lots, and lots of places to obtain wheels/tires for carts, both online and brick and mortar, you could start at your favorite building supply and go from there...

Remin kart a bag makes polyurethane tires for the HD 500 cart, which may work with the rock n roller, HD 500 is rates at 500lbs so these tires are designed to carry a heavy load and never go flat or need air $45ea.. Also try having your current tires filled at a service station by a mechanic, not one of those self serve air dispensers, the self serve are never rated for high pressure especially when they make you pay, a lower pressure rating takes more time to fill and time is money, a proper high pressure compressor should fill the cart tire in about 1.5 seconds and the higher pressure can help with the way the tire seats to the rim

Cart is not overloaded, way under rated weight.

Senator, regardless of who actually makes them, when searching for replacement tires most sources point back to the yellow and black tires that are the ones sold with the cart. 

I should have mentioned, the cart I have has no-flats on it. So filling them not an issue. Was wondering if I'd like pneumatics better but again, don't want to get the proprietary rocknroller/multicart ones (OR WHOEVER MAKES THEM). Had those on my last cart and one just literally fell apart one day. Not went flat, actually tore itself apart all the way around.  And before that I had to inflate them every couple of days, even when the cart wasn't being used.

Sorry, don't have a replacement suggestion, but.....

Is the rubber of the tire groaning, or the friction and noise coming from the wheel/axel contact point? I don't recall if they actually have bearings of some sort. If not, maybe some sort of teflon grease (safe for plastics) or even a dry lubricant like graphite may work. 

It could also be a manufacturing defect and something is rubbing wrong. That's the kind of thing that might drive me crazy and result in me riding the cart with a mechanic's stethoscope and somebody pushing me in circles. :) 

If you do find a better replacement, please share! Mine have been fine (knock on wood), but I'm sure the rubber will eventually rot or I'll roll through something that eats plastic. 

Thats a good question. Its a rubbery groaning sound, appears to be from one of the large (non-smart) tire. That tire was already replaced (another no flat from multicart). The first one was somehow flat, even though they dont use air to begin with (or at least it was way softer than the other tire).

Frame may well be warped in some microscopic way that is invisible to eye but affects performance. One caster will often spin crazily while rolling cause its not making full contact with the ground, and one bog tire will sometimes not roll while the other does. Now that i type this i see it reads like frame is warped. Just call me sherlock bass.

Think jve sprayed the parts before but will try again, maybe pick up some of that crc graphite lube.

• 5 years later...

Reviving this thread---    Cracked hub again on R12 cart.   Has anybody found a better replacement tire?  Not overloading-- just too brittle plastic--  

There are some choices out there - but wanted to see if anybody here had some insight.  

thanks.

j

• 3 years later...
On 6/8/2020 at 8:04 AM, johngooch said:

Thanks-- R12 cart has a ¾ diameter-- limits things a little but i found this..  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YCZOGGS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When listed on Amazon, I believe the measurement you are looking for is for the inside diameter (5/8").