Loon Audio Boom Poles

redge

Yes, I read the website.  There is more concrete information on there about the natural history of the loon than there is about their boom poles :)

Like, what exactly is the difference between their Loon Boom and their Penta Boom.  How much do these poles weigh?  What is different about them, if anything, from what is already on the market?

I too looked at these at NAB and had somewhat mixed feelings.   Seemed like very nice people.... but the product seemed somewhat unfinished. 

They did not have a "base" as they called it, a bottom to finish the poles they had on display.  Seems like a huge oversight at what is one of the biggest trade shows of our industry.  Also, pricing was no different then their competitors, and there was nothing that was distinct, nor special about the product. 

Sorry I can't say more positive, be interested to try one in the field though in a finished form.

Gerry Formicola

Chicago, Illinois

I talked with the guys and gal at Loon for quite some time and noticed a few features that may or may not be advantageous over other poles.  First off, the top lug is removable for re-cabling-nothing new, but the Loon has a cambered side wall that resists pull-out even if the threads become loose.  Secondly, and this is my main point of contention, the bottom XLR connect of the cabled version retracts back into the base of the pole six inches or so ( I could be off a little bit here).  While this feature was designed to protect and shield the plug, it prohibits the use of a plug-on Tx.  Aside from this one niggle, and of course the high price, I found the poles to be extremely innovative.  Another feature that I appreciated was the hand-friendly texture of the locking collars.  I plan on giving on of the penta series a try and I'll let you all know.

Travis Groves

Savannah, Georgia

Hi Travis,

What did you find about these poles that is "extremely innovative"?

If you are in a position to try one of Loon Audio's Penta Poles and report back, is that because you are buying one or because they are giving you one to use?

Can you explain what the difference is between their Loon pole and their Penta pole?  As Scott Farr has pointed out, there is a difference in graphite construction, but with all due respect, the distinction, and more importantly its significance, is not explained in something approximating English.

There is stuff on that site that I can't decipher unless I phone a friend in the UK who designs materials for America's Cup yachts, and if I'm not in a hurry to call him, it's because I'm not going to unless I have some reason to believe that this product is worth something despite the fact that the web site is an exercise in gobbledygook.

Loon Audio, and for that matter a number of other audio companies, would do itself a favour by expaining its wares, and the advantage of its wares over those of competitors, in plain language.

Looking forward to your observations.

Hey Redge,

I agree that the web site has little information concerning their "special" features, luckily that's what three days of pestering at NAB gets you.  Concerning the carbon fiber, evidently they use a different formula for the pole's tip section that reduces pole flex.  The mounting "TogLoc" and its locking mechanism seemed more secure than those by VDB and PSC, that is, it seemed more secure when the the locking collar was slightly loose as might happen over the course of the day.  I'm a K-TEK guy and love almost everything about them.  That being said, the Loon pole was much gentler on my hands when really torquing the locking collars.  I have no idea how they might hold up in the field and as was posted earlier, they did seem unfinished to a degree.

One more thing, they make their own XLRs, even a coiled 5-pin stereo in any length.

Travis Groves

Savannah, Georgia

Redge,

Sorry I missed a few questions.  The difference between the Loon Pole and the Penta is section numbers; the Loon has 6 section to the Penta's 5.  And I plan on purchasing a custom 16' Penta if the price is right.  Incidently, the Pentas are quite a bit cheaper than the Loon but lack some indispensable features like the Loon hat, the space age boom cozy, and the specially formulated Armour All.  But seriously, if the Penta is around $500, we might have a contender.

Travis Groves

Savannah, Georgia