PSC Power Station (again)

JonG

In an attempt to get my cart power situation up to snuff, I purchased a used Power Station that had an external battery mod added for auxiliary power. I also had it sent into PSC for new batteries. Now, I do not as of yet have a typical power distribution system, so this could be the source of my problem, but you tell me. Power is one of my weaker points of knowledge.

I was initially using my Remote Audio BDSv4u as a distributer, and sourcing the power from the 12V DC output of my IDX JL-2 Plus Quick Charger, which works exceptionally well, powering my whole cart (788T, CL-9, IFB100, Comtek BST 75-216, BMD Smart Duo Monitors, Lectro Venue), drawing a total of 3.5 amps. However, when connecting this configuration to the Power Station (using a single output), things behave oddly. The 788T rapidly switched between Int Batt power and Ext, and the Power Station seems to struggle and then powers off within a 30 sec or so period of time.

Both the BDS and the Power station are rated at 3 amps per output, 5 amps max. Knowing this, I tried splitting everything on the BDS onto two separate BDS systems, and powering them to two different outputs of the Power Station. Same results.

In both scenarios, the Power station was fully charged, and plugged into AC, both directly into the wall, and into a Furman power conditioner. So my best guess is that either the use of a bag BDS is somehow not appropriate for this situation, or there is something wrong with the Power Station. At this point I am at a loss, and I seek guidance from superior minds. Before the Senator can chime in, I will note that I did do a search using Google beginning with jwsound..., and no threads regarding the Power Station pertain to this inquiry, and I did contact the manufacturer. I also RTFM, which if you have read it, is more like a brochure than a user manual. What I am banking on is the "It Depends" part, coming from experience and perception of other fellow Mixers that may be able to shed some light on the subject.

Thank you for your input!

"I was initially using my Remote Audio BDSv4u as a distributer, and sourcing the power from the 12V DC output of my IDX JL-2 Plus Quick Charger"

So, your whole distribution system is using as it source the output of a CHARGER? Typically, these systems use the output of a BATTERY, not a battery charger. I do know that there are chargers, like the IDX, that have a DC output connector that you can use to power some equipment (typically a camera or camera accessory), but I don't know the true spec of that output. Is it regulated? Is the current output spec correct? The whole problem may be this source, not any of the other items in the chain. Have you tried connecting a battery (large capacity SLA or even a lower capacity NP-1 as a test) to see if everything else is working properly?

If in fact you are using the DC output on the charger as your source and it is a regulated supply, there could very well be conflict between a regulator in the PowerStation causing it to have difficulty supplying regulated DC to your equipment.

Sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious here-

The Power Station, as you know, is set up to provide either 6V, 12V or 18V. One accesses the different voltages by wiring the cable to connect to different pins of the 4-pin XLR output. Pin 1 and Pin 4 yield 12V (If I recall correctly) and connecting Pins 2 & 3 will give you the other voltages.

I'm sure that you would never connect unneeded pins but, from your description, it sounds as if you are using the cables provided for your Remote Audio distribution system. Any chance that those cables have all four pins connected?

David

"I was initially using my Remote Audio BDSv4u as a distributer, and sourcing the power from the 12V DC output of my IDX JL-2 Plus Quick Charger"

Yes, the XLR4 output of the charger. Works like a charm. I knew my power needs before trying it, so don't worry fellas :) 

Guess I'll have to pick Ron's brain at PSC. Still awaiting a reply from their service dept, so we shall see what they have to say about it.

One question I have for you Power Station users is: What are you using to distribute the power to your equipment? I assume (uh oh, theres that word! enter Senator) that no one is running individual lines from each power output to each piece of equipment on your cart, since that would create more setup time. However, powering everything from one individual power output draws more amps than the Power Station is supposed to provide from a single output, at least my setup does anyway.

Any chance that those cables have all four pins connected?

That was not obvious to me, which is why I asked. Thanks!

I am using an XLR-BDS cable made at Trew, and since I was unaware of the wiring schematics, made no specifications when I had it made. My assumption (theres that word again) is that the person making the cable would know from the description of the work order that it would need to be 12V.

My volt meter reads 12V, so that seems to work. But I do worry about the amps (though splitting up the distros has cut the amps used per output in half)

My volt meter reads 12V, so that seems to work.

Yes, on pins 1 and 4. If all four pins are connected, you may be feeding current on the other pins. Depending on how equipment is configured, those pins may be used for another purpose, like charging, and the gear may not be entirely happy if there is current on those lines.

David

Hi Jon,

I just saw this thread.   From your equipment list, I would think you might be drawing more than 3.5 amps.   The PSC Power Station is an older designed product of ours.   It dates back about 20 years.  The charger in that product is only rated to 4 amps.  That was a good amount of current 20 years ago, but is pretty limited with today's equipment.   Our new Power Star LiFE by comparison will put out 24 amps of current.   

Now back to your Power Station:  You can draw about 5 amps from the battery before the internal poly fuse will trip.   I would guess that you might be exceeding that amount and the 12 volt output poly fuse is tripping.   If this is happening, you should see the "12V Fault" LED light up on the front panel as long as the poly fuse is tripped.   If this is happening, we could modify your unit for higher 12V output current,.  But, since the charger is only rated for 4 amps output current, and if you are drawing more than that amount of current from the battery, you will be fighting a losing battle.  

best regards

Ron Meyer

PSC

Jon: " so this could be the source of my problem, but you tell me. "

it could be.... or not: it depends.

" assume (uh oh, theres that word! enter Senator) that no one is running individual lines from each power output to each piece of equipment on your cart, "

wrong!

" My assumption (theres that word again) is that the person making the cable would know from the description of the work order that it would need to be 12V. "

not mine!

how difficult is that to check?

" But I do worry about the amps "

as well you should, and you should have a meter capable of checking in your kit.