Vintage Equipment

soundmanjohn

From that site...

--Auricon mixer and sound head preamp for Auricon single system 16mm cameras .  These were what was in use when I started in TV news, were common on crews in the '60s.  Wearing this thing

and being cabled to those old cameras is the source of my extreme distaste for any sort of single-system sound or being cabled to any camera….  Mitchell made an even bigger and heavier version with 3 inputs that was roughly like wearing a 3/4" Umatic portable deck….and sounded about the same.

--Nagra III kit-- I had the Nagra and the BMII mixer (never could afford the Sela).  I also had the 

resolver for the III (the box with two old-fashioned meters on it), fairly rare, this is the first pic I've seen

of one since I sold mine.  I bolted mine into a case to make it "portable" (it was AC only). This would have been a very rocking location sound kit in the 1960's.

--Perfectone mixer.  These were still available as rentals in SF when I moved here in 1977.  I never understood the rep--they all sounded terrible.  One guy here did a lot of pretty big jobs with two of these put together.

philp

post-17-0-09218200-1411357115_thumb.jpg

post-17-0-45874100-1411357140_thumb.jpg

post-17-0-74574200-1411357163_thumb.jpg

I was surprised when I joined the BBC Film Unit that the equipment in dubbing theaters was so retro.

Old 78 players for sound fx , a BBC designed LP player and Leevers-Rich tape machines.

At ATV Network we had two Studer C37 tape machines and two EMG disc players in each of 4 studios!

Oh well all history now.

mike