Mounting Buttplugs....

Travis Williamson

So I've bought this Sony UWP system to use primarily as camera hops, but I got one set with a plug on Tx. It actually doesn't sound too bad at all. The only problem is, plugging it in is problematic- my K-tek pole is quite wide at the top and when I plug it into the either the Rycote, or Rode pistol grip, the Tx ends up on a ridiculous almost 45 degree angle, no doubt putting strain on the connector.

With the old style Rycote rubber Softie and Invision mounts I can plug directly into the back of the mic, although these aren't ideal solutions as the mic tends to sway a bit, which might be troublsome in some of the more fast and delicate boom dances.

I could use a breakout cable and gaff the Tx to my pole, but I was hoping for something a little more elegant than that- how do you guys mount your plug on Tx?

http://www.rycote.com/products/accessories-parts/boom-stand-accessories/xlr-holder-mk-ii/

http://www.ambient.de/en/products/ambient-recording/boompoles/accessories/qat-eco90.htm

Both are mounted on the thread between pole (or quicklok) and suspension, using a short thin elastic cable.

Tape NEVER touches my booms.

We have always placed the plug ons at the end of the booms XLR or plugged on to the bottom of the pole (int. wired)..

Placing the transmitter on the mic end makes for a heavier booming end of the pole..  I have seen that done, but when you are looking to shave weight, probably not the best spot... 

As for elevating the transmitter, maybe a good spot, but when adjustments are needed, or a quick batt change, not the most convenient location... the end of the XLR is the best spot for these things... IMHO..

Nice discussion guys, and some neat toys there. I don't have an internally cabled pole- stayed away from them, never used one. I figured if something did go wrong inside, it's a bigger re-set than getting rid of your average tangle. Would like to try one someday though. For the time being I think I'll go with the easy does it Rycote XLR holder, looking at a new WS 295 for the 416 anyway, so maybe I'll treat myself to new toys all round.

If anyone is curious, this Sony UWP plug on Tx is not bad, I'd say good for ENG/doco work, corporate stuff, anything thats not destined for the cinema. Range is good, noise floor is not amazing, and its a bit thin and plastic sounding if you really want to be picky. Haven't had any overloads yet, but the difference between its compressor and a Lectro compressor is huge. Lectro just sounds nice, Sony just a bit thin and toy. Good for a camera hop alternative to spending thousands on the best Lectro or Zax stuff.

Gonna buy an HM after the next feature methinks.... I'll run it in 200 compatibility mode until I can get a hybrid receiver for it.

What are people using for the cinela osix mounts? Mine is too close to the boom. Have internal with kta but for other poles need a solution.

I got two of the mounts you mention, one of which has a longer offset than the other and as a result works with a plug-on TRX. We just days ago examined them together and discovered the difference. Our quick field assessment was that one could probably order a replacement part to make a too-tight fit go away. My utility has been tasked to find out. I'll report back once we have the answer.

Jan, your assessment is correct. The part of the mount that holds the XLR male can be ordered in a wide version to accommodate plug on TX's. I find the wide version is easier to use with an internally cables pole, too. The regular on sometimes pinches the cable when I put it on. I believe it was like $35 dollars for me to get the wide adapter, but it was like two years ago.

Haha it is awful that we call them buttplugs. I will add that I only followed the crowd on that one for simplicity.

Will definitely be buying one of these mounting options (the rycote it seems), possibly with a new windshield altogether, AND an HM. Really impressed with the sony system, but the limiters just can't compete with Lectro.

Far as using a UM transmitter for wireless boom goes, are most people powering their mics with an MM1? Those things are over $500 new, making the HM seem cheap in comparison at $1075. Of course for me in

Australia things are a bit more expensive being that the AU dollar has seen better days (we were at parity at one point!)

Hi Trav,

Check this for powering regular talent transmitter (UM/SMV) when used on the boom

http://www.ambient.de/en/products/ambient-recording/mic-power-supply/ump-ii.html

ideally to be used with that 

http://www.ambient.de/en/products/ambient-recording/boompoles/accessories/qwb.html

SoundEquip or John Barry in Australia will get you good prices on Ambient products.

Travis: personally I use an MM1 for a few reasons. First, the boom op has a top quality signal and they can adjust their volume. Second, the MM1 can just as easily feed a long XLR single if the wireless didn't work out (that was part of my rational when I first tried this 6 years ago). Third, that's a standard transmitter that can be repurposed easily when I'm working solo out of the bag.

I eventually picked up a plug-on, and use it regularly, but rarely on a boom. I might revisit that now that I have ERXs and can give the boom op top notch monitoring. I also have an eye on the Zaxcom plug-on. Just a situation where I'm waiting for a job to justify the purchase, then I'll probably find another dozen uses for it.

And while you're at Ambient's website checking out the UMP have a look at their XLR holder, which IMHO is much better way to mount a plug-on on than the Rycote version

http://www.ambient.de/en/products/ambient-recording/boompoles/accessories/qat-eco.html

+1 on the qat-echo. They are light and work extremely well.