Which Field Recorder? Nomad or Tascam or..?

ek4

hi everyone, first post here!

I´m right now looking for a field recorder suite my needs..

right now the only one that seems to be it for me, is the nomad lite. or the tascam hs p82..

What i need it for: sfx recording and ambience recording.

no location sound.

at least 5 mic preamps. Limiter or any other solution to avoid clipping. (Neverclip:-))

96kHz at least.

Whisper quiet preamps. (should be at least as quiet as the SD 7er series..)

under 6000€ Euros.

The 788t is out of competition for me, cause the limiters won't work with 96kHz or above..

seems like the nomad lite and the tascam are my only options, but i will be pleased to hear other suggestions.

My main concern is how will the preamps sound..

also very important, as i have some experience with the Sound Devices 7er series i wonder how the preamps compare to the 7er Series preamps regarding noise.

has here anyone testing this?

can the nomad or the tascam be compared to one of the 7er series from sound devices?

thanks a lot!

emil

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

willkommen ek4: " a field recorder suite my needs....My main concern is how will the preamps sound.. "

that makes it pretty subjective...

these products are frequently discussed here, and then there is the rule:

'generally speaking, you get what you pay for'

" can the nomad or the tascam be compared to one of the 7er series from sound devices? "

of course they can, and frequently are!

Also, i don´t find the EIN from the nomad. i think the 137db dynamic is not saying anything.

i would really like to have the input-referenced noise level specified in dBu or dBV.

The SD 7er series have -130dbu (a-weighted), which is pretty good.

The tascam seem to have... just 100? no, that can not be true, must be misread there something.

in the end i just have to test it. i have a 702, so i have a good comparison.

problem is to get the nomad here. ambient do not really want to sell them, so it seems..

The Nomad have a good preamps (noise) and Neverclip (Superb).

But have a big problem for fx, the preamps are far from flat, have a hardware "high pass" filter at 55Hz and a low pass at 25kHz (always on). 

IMMO This can be a problem for some recordings except vocals. 

I'm a happy Nomad user. but for do music recordings, I need to use external preamps and ADC connected by AES/EBU

I guess that this isn't a problem for the big part of Nomad users.

My measures (input to output at 96kHz with a Apogee Duet II at 96kHz fs)

4v3Lyr.png

I believe this can be resolved with eqing (external or in the Nomad)

The Nomad have a good preamps (noise) and Neverclip (Superb).

But have a big problem for fx, the preamps are far from flat, have a hardware "high pass" filter at 55Hz and a low pass at 25kHz (always on). 

IMMO This can be a problem for some recordings except vocals. 

I'm a happy Nomad user. but for do music recordings, I need to use external preamps and ADC connected by AES/EBU

I guess that this isn't a problem for the big part of Nomad users.

My measures (input to output at 96kHz with a Apogee Duet II at 96kHz fs)

4v3Lyr.png

I believe this can be resolved with eqing (external or in the Nomad)

oh... thats not good. especially cause i record in high frequency with my mkh8000er..

thats really true?  then the nomad is out:-(

(could´t it be that just the out has the filter?)

on the Zaxcom.com it is written about the Nomad : Frequency response: 20 Hz to 22 kHz (38 kHz sampling-rate)

I assume 38kHz is a typo, should be 48kHz?

Can be, how many plus or minus dB?.

The hardware high pass is fixed.

I'm sure that is a typo error (the theorical 38kHz fs bandwith is 19kHz)

Every manufacturer need to include a graph of frequency response, all measurements (EIN, A-weighted, what Ω source etc). If have 44.1 kHz or 96 kHz, if is 24 or 16bit depth, the dynamic range and all the basics measurements which coming from factory (not the manufacturer) does not help someone.

I do not thing on this graph from Ramallo has a measurement filter engaged.

Also impedance on input is very important parameter because: if the microphone uses an electronic circuit (transformerless) output, a low value of load impedance will likely stress the little microphone pre-amplifier, causing slew rate and compression at high levels. On the other hand, a high value of load impedance allows the microphone to “breathe” and give of its best, this being particularly advantageous with very high level percussive sounds. If the microphone has an inductive source (such as would be the case if it has a transformer output) a low value of load impedance causes the high frequencies to roll off due to leakage inductance in the transformer in addition to the above amplifier distortion. (This can be an advantage with some microphones!). For this reason a high value of input impedance that will load microphones to the smallest possible extent and makes the best possible use of that limited “Phantom” 48 volts supply.

Microphone source impedances are not the same at all frequencies.