What headworn mic do you prefer ?

jpbat

Hello,

The Sanken COS-11D-HWM or DPA 4066 work great as does the Countryman H6...  Choose your preference, duel ear or single...   More movement situations.. (IE exercise or workout) use the DUEL EAR... some have the option of both... they all sound pretty nice....  I prefer the Sanken sound, but, that being said, I just spoke to the DPA rep who told me they just reworked the DPA units into some really nice head worn mics....  All new...

I have used them all...  and again, they all sound pretty good... (heck a mic 2 inches from the source better) and they  have been making some good mics for years.. all three companies.. ( The new DPA?  i have not used it yet..)

I have modified them all with skin toned moleskin to secure and tighten them up to my liking once set to size.  I try to secure and lockdown the whole head worn "system". There are a few different variables with the cable, clips and sliding headpiece parts. It can go fast and stay put, or it can be a challenge and cause small adjustments all day... mostly though they seem to all work well once fit.

I keep them all (mic heads)  just behind the corner of the mouth, about a quarter of an inch to a half inch from the skin...  Some with the foam windscreen some without... depending on where and what type of motion ...

Good luck...

Since these are used so rarely, I rent them from either Pro Sound NY or Location sound LA...  For this item, it seems to make sense..   SEEMS...  ::)

Thanks for the answer.

They will be used indoor, for a complete season (that's why I prefer buy)

Since we are also on a budget, I was looking at The Audio Technica BP893.

Production doesn't want to see the mics, so I believe the short boom would help (talents will be sitting, talking to each other, two cameras wide/close, framed to hide the mics), but I have no experience with that mic placement, so I wonder about the result. 

Although, in the occurrence, it could not be worse than a standard lav (my main concern is signal vs noise, and less how nice will be the sound. I must choose my battle)

I use the e6 cardioid 4-8 times a month for live stream events with reinforcement, and omini for myself 

Single ear is a pita even with experience. Maybe it's me. Tape helps as afewmore said, if you can use it.

Cardioid is much better than omni even when the mic is so close(obviously) but it has to bet rock solid location wise.

I used a double ear Dpa once and sounded much better to me, was a breeze to put on and didn't have any problems but $$…

I paid 125 for an e6 like new from ebay after watching for a few weeks.

I use the e6 cardioid 4-8 times a month for live stream events with reinforcement, and omini for myself

(shameless share I know)

Single ear is a pita even with experience. Maybe it's me. Tape helps as afewmore said, if you can use it.

Cardioid is much better than omni even when the mic is so close(obviously) but it has to bet rock solid location wise.

I used a double ear Dpa once and sounded much better to me, was a breeze to put on and didn't have any problems but $$…

I paid 125 for an e6 like new from ebay after watching for a few weeks.

Headworn mics will give you 6-8db more gain before feedback in a PA situation. While cardioid mics close down the room a bit more they are more prone to plosives & p-pops over the Omni version.

Thanks everybody.

I got a long boom ear worn mic (probably similar to the MM Audio, thanks Tom for letting me know this one), but I find it a bit cumbersome for the use I want.

The challenge would be, actually, finding a -sonic- equivalent of a lav rig in the hair, or on the ear. I use them and know the result, I'm simply not in a situation do achieve such a rig in that particular show, so I'm looking for an alternative solution.

Reasonably priced, easily and rapidly rigged, and not too much obtrusive.

Compromises will have to be made, as usual.

That's why I wonder about the usability of the Audio Technica BP893, which has a very short boom.

I suppose I'll have to buy 2 of them and test by myself...

Although the usual suspects do not stock them, and (of course ;-) everybody is in a hurry...

jp: " Any suggestion or experience you're willing to share ?

(Brand, length, particularities, insights ?) "

we have discussed the options in the not too distant past....

" Since we are also on a budget, I was looking at The Audio Technica BP893. "

why did you not mention that at first ?

that sort of changes your inquiry completely...

I have used the AT, and it is fine, as is the OST, so there are your budget options.

" Production doesn't want to see the mics, "

that is an unreasonable expectation.  that said, many of the options are barely noticable, I have worship leaders wearing them, and they are very difficult to see from the third row on back., though this factor may clash with the economy factor

" I suppose I'll have to buy 2 of them and test by myself... "

you knew that before you asked here...

Suresh and Constantin : thanks for the links. Those headworn seems following the same concept, so maybe you can answer :

is the small boom retractable in some way, and if yes, does it protrude behind the head or…?

As I'm narrowing my quest, what I want to find is a way to install a lav mic somewhere near the ear. And I want to install it *fast*.

I found some ear worn mics with a long boom (I even got one), but these are too much visible, Although the signal on noise ratio can't be beat, I have to make a compromise, and I think a short boom as found in the Audio Technica BP893 can really disappear in wide to medium shots, and in close shots, the cameras can be framed, and/or the talent can turn his head in order to not see the mic.

On the pictures I found on manufacturers sites, some double ear worn designs *seem* to use some retractable boom concept, but no more explanations nowhere, no pictures, no videos. 

So if any of you knows more, please share.

Jim : are you answering to the senator ?

I blocked his posts some time ago so I don't know. Not that he can't positively participate to the forum, he is obviously experienced, but his signal on noise ratio is poor, maybe his gain structure is not properly adjusted, or maybe he needs a trip to the mothership… 

Shit happens, y'know? :-)

On the pictures I found on manufacturers sites, some double ear worn designs *seem* to use some retractable boom concept, but no more explanations nowhere, no pictures, no videos. 

So if any of you knows more, please share.

They have sliding wire parts that can be adjusted either closer to the mouth or slid back closer to the ear...  Not a HUGE amount, but they do adjust... The "arm" with the mic slides back and forth to adjust on the other wire part...the headband... Hence the moleskin...  Place a small skin colored piece of moleskin tape to HOLD that adjustment so you can put on and off THAT particular talent without moving the rig out of adjustment.

I found some ear worn mics with a long boom (I even got one), but these are too much visible, Although the signal on noise ratio can't be beat, I have to make a compromise, and I think a short boom as found in the Audio Technica BP893 can really disappear in wide to medium shots, and in close shots, the cameras can be framed, and/or the talent can turn his head in order to not see the mic.

I personally would NEVER expect the camera dept. the talent or the director to start framing the shots or directing the action based on your inability to gather your audio without seeing the mics... That IS your job as a sound person for moving images... FILM,VIDEO etc.  It is what all of us here do everyday... on every show...  

As for mounting "FAST" ... depending on which route you take, it will take a few moments... that is reality...  Once prepped, a properly set up HWM can be placed and made ready to go in a very short time... but.. They can also be finicky.. 

As always, you get what you pay for...  The nicer mics usually sound a bit better... I would be a bit weary of a mic too close to the ear... Just saying...   But it is all relative...   Cheesy show....cheesy mic and cheesy audio....

Or the other way around....  In the end you have to do what your budget allows.... 

One more option for you...  If your going to have the camera and talent work around the sound, why not the wardrobe dept.  LOL... DPA makes a brand new necklace mic....  I have heard it's pretty nice... never took a listen.

If you have watched any of the "NAKED IDIOTS" series of shows... They all wear a necklace with what looks like a cool little piece of artwork...  or jewelry ...purchased at a DEAD show...  Well those are the mics... 

These seem to sound alright and you can either rig up and get creative on your own showing what moxie you have... or, check out the new DPAs...

jp: " and I think a short boom as found in the Audio Technica BP893 can really disappear in wide to medium shots, and in close shots, the cameras can be framed, and/or the talent can turn his head in order to not see the mic "

is it just me, or has he set his mind on the AT's ??

" in close shots, the cameras can be framed, and/or the talent can turn his head "

unrealistic expectations

WE: " DPA makes... exactly what you are looking for. "

but those are expensive, thus, not exaqctly what he is looking for...

AFMY: " DPA makes a brand new necklace mic.... "

these are also costly, but sound really good, considering the position...

jp: " and I think a short boom as found in the Audio Technica BP893 can really disappear in wide to medium shots, and in close shots, the cameras can be framed, and/or the talent can turn his head in order to not see the mic "

is it just me, or has he set his mind on the AT's ??

" in close shots, the cameras can be framed, and/or the talent can turn his head "

unrealistic expectations

WE: " DPA makes... exactly what you are looking for. "

but those are expensive, thus, not exaqctly what he is looking for...

AFMY: " DPA makes a brand new necklace mic.... "

these are also costly, but sound really good, considering the position...

I was referring to his desire for a short boom length to hide the mic just in front of the ear. I never said the right tool for the job would be cheap.

Well, I made test with regular lavs, hacked by myself, to emulate what I want to achieve, and the result is satisfying enough to look for omni headworns mics with a short boom, one ear mounting.

I know of three :
Countryman E2

DPA 4065 or 66 with the short boom

Audio Technica BP893

Countryman is north of 500$, DPA is north of 600$, Audio Technica is south of 300$.

Have a guess at what will be chosen by the prod ? ;-)

Anyway guys, thanks for the brainstorm.