Windshield Size

cameronlenart

I'm currently looking at buying a new windshield for my CS3e.

Rycote recommends the WS kit#4, but it looks like I can squeeze it into a WS Kit#3 if I use a custom low profile right angle XLR.

Is anyone else doing this and have they noticed an increase in wind noise susceptibility or any other adverse effects?

Thanks! (No need to remind me this is subjective Mike)

I've stuck my cs3e in my smaller rycote now and again when I can't be bothered carrying 2 blimps and have been caught out needing the isolation of the sanken over the 50 which normally sits in there - the cs3e clunked on the end sometimes and was worse for handling noise, couldn't say I noticed worse wind noise.  That was with a low profile right angle xlr.  Generally didn't find it a great solution.  Have been thinking about getting a different shotgun lately because i don't really like the length of the cs3e in it's blimp.

There's very specific technology which provides the wind protection. It's not just about whether or not it fits.

The back needs room to avoid contact, obviously, and the front of the mic should not be past the seam between the tube and cap.

Rycote is pretty good about recommending the right size.

There's very specific technology which provides the wind protection. It's not just about whether or not it fits.

The back needs room to avoid contact, obviously, and the front of the mic should not be past the seam between the tube and cap.

Rycote is pretty good about recommending the right size.

True, but Rycote recommends the medium Super shield for the NTG-3 (255 mm) and the large Super shield for the Cs-3e (270 mm)

Surely 1.5 mm of microphone cannot justify 100 mm more windshield !

True, but Rycote recommends the medium Super shield for the NTG-3 (255 mm) and the large Super shield for the Cs-3e (270 mm)

Surely 1.5 mm of microphone cannot justify 100 mm more windshield !

why don't you check how long the fins extend into the body of the mics towards the connector end? there's possibly a clue there... 

• 3 years later...