Otterbox-Type Case for Comtek PR-216

jawharp

Hey Everybody,

A friend an I started a project a while back and it has finally come to be something of a reality in the prototype sense.

As the topic describes, it is a protective rubberized case (like an Otterbox case) for Comtek PR-216 receivers.  I was originally planning on making them for myself out of complete frustration at the cracks, dings, broken belt clips, and destroyed battery doors that have plagued my life for the past 5 years.

I started thinking that other people might be into this sort of thing, so I am posing this question to you all:

If they were to be made available, would anyone here be interested in them?

I can't show anything along the lines of photos or technical drawings yet, as we are still working a few parts out.  I just wanted to get a general sense if you guys thought there was a need for such a case other than my own personal hatred for shattered Comteks.

Hope all is well,

Joe

I may be interested, but have lots of questions.

Such as;

- what is it made of?

- what does it look like?

- how well does it work in practice (ie. do I need to take the whole thing off in order to change batteries, change frequency etc.)?

- how much does it cost?

- does it protect the Comtek well enough to prevent cracks in the casing, battery door, and damage to the volume knob if dropped on concrete/street (from a height of up to, let's say 5 feet)?

- how does it protect the belt clip? or is another clip part of this?

- does it prevent the wearer from talking (and whispering) after "action" is called?

To answer the questions proposed here:

- what is it made of?

We're working on balancing material options and cost. So far, glass filled nylon snap on shell, with a bumper like silicone skin over that is the running option we like.

It is form fitting to the Comtek, making it a total of 1/8" wider on each side.

- how well does it work in practice (ie. do I need to take the whole thing off in order to change batteries, change frequency etc.)?

Durability-wise rather well. The nylon is very tough, and the silicone adds another layer of drop protection. No tests done yet for actual drops since we are making the first prototype now.

It was designed with the battery door and dip switches in mind. Everything is accessible once the case is on. The comtek can live in it.

- how much does it cost?

Not final yet, but we decided if we can't get them under $40, it wasn't worth it.

- does it protect the Comtek well enough to prevent cracks in the casing, battery door, and damage to the volume knob if dropped on concrete/street (from a height of up to, let's say 5 feet)?

All signs point to yes. Will have proof and video when we get the first prototype.

A new belt clip that is part of the case replaces the stock one.

- does it prevent the wearer from talking (and whispering) after "action" is called?

Yes, it stabs them in the thigh with a trank dart. Trank refills are free, just trade in your empty cartridges.

Please let me know if this sounds like something we can use. If there's enough of a demand, I will continue to move forward with it. Regardless, I am still going to get a working prototype so that you guys can see it in action.

Thanks,

Joe

To answer the questions proposed here:

- what is it made of?

We're working on balancing material options and cost. So far, glass filled nylon snap on shell, with a bumper like silicone skin over that is the running option we like.

It is form fitting to the Comtek, making it a total of 1/8" wider on each side.

Durability-wise rather well. The nylon is very tough, and the silicone adds another layer of drop protection. No tests done yet for actual drops since we are making the first prototype now.

It was designed with the battery door and dip switches in mind. Everything is accessible once the case is on. The comtek can live in it.

- how much does it cost?

Not final yet, but we decided if we can't get them under $40, it wasn't worth it.

All signs point to yes. Will have proof and video when we get the first prototype.

A new belt clip that is part of the case replaces the stock one.

Yes, it stabs them in the thigh with a trank dart. Trank refills are free, just trade in your empty cartridges.

Please let me know if this sounds like something we can use. If there's enough of a demand, I will continue to move forward with it. Regardless, I am still going to get a working prototype so that you guys can see it in action.

Thanks,

Joe

I haven't priced the repair cost for it, but I've noticed hairline cracks in a few of my cases. Hasn't effected functionality. Cost of that repair versus a protective case is probably a good tipping point. I'm *guessing* my cracks are from accidental drops. Possibly in winter and onto cement. Our last Winter had many days in single digits Fahrenheit that we were working outside, so the cases may have been in a more brittle state than they would ever be in an inside controlled environment.

Cost for a case at Comtek Is $55.00 including parts, labor and all new knobs a bargain IMHO. I usually wait till one completely breaks and then pick another sad looking one to sent it so I have been doing 2 at a time. The new Grey case is stronger then the light one.