Set Politics

Jan McL

First working sound cart I talked myself into visiting was Dennis Maitland's as he mixed "In Search of Bobby Fisher" in Washington Square Park.

He told me very first thing, "Never fuck anybody you work with."

Took him at his word.

As for those with whom I eventually fell in love, love consciously ended the working relationship. Well, Bill Daly did boom for me one day after we moved in together. Other than that stellar day of learning, no. Sacrifices? Yes.

The next thing Dennis showed me--EXT Times Square--was to keep the boom up until just after, "Action" so what was accomplished with the wires was heard in dailies.

Later learned he was considered among his peers a Master Politician.

Fancy myself a wannabe in that respect, so I study it.

Practice it.

Learn from the best, among them my excellent boom operator and partner in sound, Brendan O'Brien.

I also play with marketing, advertising, PR (see photo).

At one point in personal development, fired my shrink and hired a PR person. Like that.

As an aspiring human who sees as well as hears, visual art helps me hone that skill.

Student of human nature.

Seeker of honesty.

I love this gig.

Compromise remains difficult.

695 Quarterly has invited me to contribute a chick-in-the-biz sound byte.

Better get crackin' on that.

post-859-0-36385100-1412509965_thumb.jpe

Love you Jan! Your honesty, self reflection and willingness to learn and grow are your hallmarks. I've always felt that WE are the set psychiatrists. As Sound Mixers we hear just about everything and are keen observers of the interaction in all departments. We should have couches bedside are carts and offer help at $100/hr.

Yes, as Dennis said, "Never fuck anybody you work with." The guy or gal PA you mess with, might be your next Producer or Director!

These days I get fucked by almost everybody I work with.

Look, i don't want to fuck with anyone i work with. so long as i can work WITH them. and they want to work WITH me. 

oh yeah, what about this situation - when they want - no  DO fuck with you. And it's got nothing to do with professionalism. Simply put - they are not professional enough. So i guess, as Crew says, they are human nature, or actually a particular kind of it personified? 

<The guy or gal PA you mess with, might be your next Producer or Director!> 

why on earth would one want to 'mess with' anyone? unless they are MESSING UP what they are SUPPOSED to be doing? 

How can one live in fear of this kind? Because this is nothing but fear - oh man, what if this PA turns out to become a producer in 3 years and he/she will remember that i "messed" with him/her... 

I will MESS with anyone who deserves messing with. go figure. 

The best "set politicians" I ever worked with were realists with very deep knowledge about how the entire enterprise of making films worked, from development to everything technical, from who was who in the current talent scene to the traditions quirks and protocols of the movie biz, no matter how obscure.  They didn't display this knowledge much, and while being great raconteurs did not lecture others about anything really (even though as a newb I would have appreciated this).  But they always seemed to have the right answer about what to do in a given situation, something that I probably didn't notice until I'd been around them for a time.   I DID notice that everything seemed to go more smoothly when they were around, though.  This I strive for.

philp