TASCAM DR-10C, DR-10X

Tom Duffy

Answering all questions about our new products announced at AES.  I'm at the show during the day, so catching up at night.

Micro Linear PCM Recorder for Wireless Beltpacks

DR-10CL for Lectrosonics mics and DR-10CS for Sennheiser microphones

Additionally, option kits are available for Shure (AK-DR10CH) and Sony/RAMSA (AK-DR10CR.)

DR-10X mounts directly to bottom of ENG mic or takes line level XLR.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good  Q was asked on FB--do the units still pass audio if their onboard battery dies?

I'd like to know about the stability of the recorder's clock, since I'd be interested in using this on long-roll situations.  Can the clock be set on this?  It would be great to get the internal clock close to the recorder TC.  Bummer about no phantom….

I saw the B+H video for the Juiced Link competitor to this thing.  Interesting idea about recording two tracks of the same input @ diff levels.  I wish either of these things could record a stereo mini input, which would allow use of a TIG to add a linear TC track to the audio.

phil p

Pictures and full details on the tascam.com site now.

BWAV files are stamped with Time-Of-Day.  You can set the clock manually, then use the IR Tx/Rx LEDs on the front to copy the settings and time to other units.   That'll get you to sub-second accuracy, after which you'll need manual syncing or plural eyes to match up the audio to other sources.

Street price will be $199 for the 2 base units (Lectro and Sennheiser), then there are 2 extra end-user swappable top plates, one for Shure and one for Sony/Ramsa.

The in/out is a passive connection, so if the DR-10 runs out of power first there is no interruption.   The DR-10 can supply bias voltage on its own, so totally usable as a standalone recorder.

The DR-10X has no phantom, that would kill battery life.  I think we'd need to look at XLR pass through as well if the usage was going to be for shotguns.   The DR-10X is for ENG situations where the handheld is a backup to Lav and boom anyway. Instead of throwing an expensive wireless onto the interview Mic, just plug in a DR-10X and save the audio for later if needed.

vin: " that's a real overlook if there ever was one... "

that's a real overlook design decision if there ever was one...

remember, Tom said that these products would be "of interest" here, not that they were designed for jwsoundgroup.net (a near impossible task!).

Phantom was considered, but these units provide lav mic power, as that is in line with their intended use; they also do not have SMPTE TC, another design decision. These decisions were taken, based on a number of factors, including battery life, size, weight, price point ($199 and $149) and target market.

Those requiring the additional features already know that they are available elsewhere, and at a notably different price point.

vin: " that's a real overlook if there ever was one... "

that's a real overlook design decision if there ever was one...

remember, Tom said that these products would be "of interest" here, not that they were designed for jwsoundgroup.net (a near impossible task!).

Phantom was considered, but these units provide lav mic power, as that is in line with their intended use; they also do not have SMPTE TC, another design decision. These decisions were taken, based on a number of factors, including battery life, size, weight, price point ($199 and $149) and target market.

Those requiring the additional features already know that they are available elsewhere, and at a notably different price point.

+1

This is quite a unique line of products (for the price) and 1 which may evolve over time but as they are i think they will do very well.

I'm not going ask Tom if there is any chance the wifi ios functionality of the new handhelds will make it into this product line at some point but is there? :-)

d

Answering all questions about our new products announced at AES.  I'm at the show during the day, so catching up at night.

DR-10X mounts directly to bottom of ENG mic or takes line level XLR.

This DR-10X looks like just what I've been wanting -- in form factor and size anyway. I've discussed it way too much already in

I hope Tascam will consider swapping all the analog circuits for an AES3 reader, and make a DR-10? that would plug into an XLR connector on a MixPre-D and take the AES3 feed from the MixPre-D and record it. That, I would buy. Probably two.

We use the same 2 channel circuitry from our other hand held recorders, so the single input feeds two circuits and therefore the backup track gain reduction is in the analog stage, before the A/D conversion.

I don't think there's any room to do WiFi in these at this size...

When I was looking back over meeting notes, I did see a place holder for "should we do a digital version", but I'm pretty sure the consensus was *we could, but there is only a tiny market for that type*

Tom (TASCAM)

20ppm is better than the average DSLR, and better than a lot of other cameras that aren't Lockit'ed.

We did our homework on the Lectro, the top plate has a couple of switches on it (inside). When sitting passively between Lav and Tx, there is no difference, but for providing power stand-alone, one position works with original non-servo mics, and the other position works with universal and servo bias wired Lavs.   We've been testing with both.

I expect that the advice you'd get from anywhere would be to re-wire old mics to universal wiring anyway...

One of the Lectro 152 mics I got turned out to be a 150 with just the label changed (they are the same capsule) - took us a while to figure out it was original wiring.