TASCAM DR-10C, DR-10X

Tom Duffy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see this thing as being a life saver for a variety of situations.  I'm on a project right now and we're recording in a lot of moving cars (no process trailer) where I've had to do a bag drop and monitor on an IFB in a follow van that's way behind it since they're shooting two cameras at once.  It would be nice to have the piece of mind that you have a 2nd recorder going in case anything were to happen in the bag / signal loss etc.

• 2 weeks later...

According to this thread: 

"According to my conversations with Zaxcom, Tascam, due to possible patent infringements, has agreed to pull the DR-10CS in the US until further notice."

:-(

That explains why my pre-order was canceled and payment refunded a few days ago... Zaxcom you're not making a friends.

That explains why my pre-order was canceled and payment refunded a few days ago... Zaxcom you're not making a friends.

Why aren't Zaxcom making any friends? It's Tascam who are infringing on the copyright, IOW copying certain aspects of a Zaxcom idea. If anything, Tascam isn't making any friends with this - if it all turns out to be true.

-edited-

are you, by comparison saying that TEAC/TASCAM deliberately, and knowingly decided to include in their products something patented by others ??

No. I added "if anything" it's Tascam one should be angry at, rather than Zaxcom. Simply because there is a tendency for the infringer to be more at fault than the infringee of infringing the patent.

Should work fine, I'm not personally familiar with the Sony pin assignment.

We'll consider the Lemo, does everyone wire those the same? 

The Senn 3.5mm is lockable, already tested. The through cable it comes with is also lockable connectors on both ends.

Tom (TASCAM)

Wisycom "2 wire + bias" setting and the sennheiser (e.g. sk5212 or sk3063 etc)wiring are the same.  Zaxcom (AFAIK) have a different wiring.  

• 1 month later...

The DR-10X is available at a certain not so usual suspect right now.

The DR-10C still shows up as unavailable though.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086779-REG/tascam_dr_10x_dr_10cx_plug_on_micro_linear.html

Hopefully we will see both of these products available elsewhere very soon.

It is my understanding that the Tascam DR-10CX does not infringe on any patents so it should be widely available. It is the DR-10C which has allegedly infringed Zaxcom's patent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

DR-10C should be available in Sennheiser, Shure and Sony/Ramsa configs in Europe and other countries.   As before, I don't have any particular shipping info for these regions.

Only the DR-10X (XLR) is available in the Americas (USA and USA adjacents), because our distribution is from California.

• 4 months later...

I'm pretty sure the Tascam model DR-10C will not be sold in the US. There is a patent held by Zaxcom that would be infringed by this product. The other somewhat similar model of small recorder, the one with an integrated XLR connector, I believe is sold in the US and does not violate any patents.

Edited by Jeff Wexler

I'm looking for a similar product like the Tascam DR-10CS that has the option to screw on a 3.5mm jack and sennheiser connector. My Sanken COS-11D's have this connection. Since this product will not reach the US and the Little Darling is probably never gonna go up for sale I'm looking for another alternative.

Thanks

Jesse

Some of the small recorders do have locking connectors (typically 3.5mm mini) so you could use an adapter connector or cable to go to your Lemo connector. Of course if you have the money in your budget, the Zaxcom ZFR recorder has the proper connector (and timecode and a whole lot of other features you might not want or need).

Edited by Jeff Wexler

I have used my DR10 with a Lectro-connectored TA5F COS-11 and a YPA TA5F to TRS mini.  Worked just fine, as did similarly connectored B6, B3, EMW, Tram, Sonotrim and Lectro-brand lavs.   Since the last flurry of posts about this recorder it has been a life-saver for me and some other soundies, esp re "surprise" situations on location.

philp

Unknown.jpeg

• 2 months later...