Tentacle Sync tiny TCbox review

Jeremy Childers

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having an issue with my computer and phone reading my unit. I plug it in, it has full charge, but the software says nothing is connected. I try it on the mac version of the software, the windows version of the software, and even into my iphone. Ive used different usb cables, too. Ive sent a message to the company. Anyone else having a similar issue? 

I've been having an issue with my computer and phone reading my unit. I plug it in, it has full charge, but the software says nothing is connected. I try it on the mac version of the software, the windows version of the software, and even into my iphone. Ive used different usb cables, too. Ive sent a message to the company. Anyone else having a similar issue? 

i had problems with a bad usb cable once..

was the unit ON (in either waiting for TC mode (red) or TC master (green)) when you plugged it into your mac? It has to be on to be recognized by the pc (and phone too, i suppose, though i didn't test that)

was the unit ON (in either waiting for TC mode (red) or TC master (green)) when you plugged it into your mac? It has to be on to be recognized by the pc (and phone too, i suppose, though i didn't test that)

finally got it to work. spent 3hrs on it last night and an hour today after production. I definitely connected it the same way as before and it just magically responded after the sixth try with a fresh restart of my OS. thanks. 

• 2 months later...

Trying out a TentacleSync just received from Trew that I'd like to use Monday.  It's fully charged and able to communicate with my Mac setup app.

Now the problem:  Tentacle is turned on and I'm using the included white TRRS IOS sync cable and unable to connect with my iPhone (IOS 9.2) Tentacle app.  Latest firmware (3.70) is installed, I've cleaned the sync cable and iPhone jack with Deoxit and can find no evidence of lint, dirt etc. Cable continuity checks good in all four wires.

I've read through everything I can find here and in the Tentacle forum.  I sent an email to support (Don't know if they're asleep over there)

I've run out of ideas so any experiences/solutions from anyone will be appreciated.  -Thanks

Forgot: Levels on both iPhone and Tentacle are set just below highest.

Are most users syncing the boxes directly to a recorder (like with other TC boxes) or to each other, or are most people doing the phone thing?

For me it's usually the first option. Last year though one if my cables broke, and I was left with only Lemo input cables, so I synced two Tentacles with each other and put one on my recorder and one on the camera.

Yeah, I can control all parameters via Mac/usb but I worry about not having control in the field.

With a laptop maybe? Which parameters do you mean? Like a last-minute framerate change?

Trying to sync to your recorder helps to narrow down the issue. If it syncs then your boxes are probably fine and your issue is with the cables

Syncing to/from my 633 via lemo and 1/8" TRS is fine.  That leaves the iPhone jack, supplied TRRS cable or buggy software/firmware.  It appears others have had difficulty with the iPhone last year but no recent responses.  If Tentacle is struggling with the iPhone setup app they should make it clear on their site.  I'll call Trew and see if they know anything.

I worried a little about my phone having the latest IOS but the app does specify 8.0 or later. I'm going to get an alt cable just to be sure (and have a backup). I did check the factory cable continuity and it's good.  I'll probably just do my Monday gig finger crossed. It'll be OK but I'm a little irritated.  If the problem is the latest IOS it should be posted on their site.

Oops- Apple no longer signs 9.1 so I'll try 9.3 public beta (and then probably punt and go back to 9.2)

(sometime later)

OK, after doing the work the manufacturer should be doing, IOS 9.2 & 9.3 beta don't work with Tentacle Sync's iPhone app.  They should really stay on top of these things as 9.2 was released 12/8/15 (and probably earlier to them).