Mackie DL32R

Jeff Wexler

I just watched the Mackie webcast for this new 32 channel digital mixing platform. Designed for primarily live gigs it does however have very flexible and functional recording capabilities. Fully aware this is not an item specifically for the kind of production sound mixing most of us do but it is still a very impressive and incredibly powerful system.

For any of you who missed this, the above video is the full presentation.

For people who like touch screens, this seems fantastic. I find the current tablet sizes a little too small for these type of applications but the good news is tablet sizes are getting larger. With larger tablets I would feel less fear towards possible touch mistakes and that could make these products more interesting for people thinks the way I do.

Engin

vas: " but I will not trust it for many reasons. "

...and they are ..?

I've been running a couple different mixers of this "genre" with tablets (mostly iPads) (including the Soundcraft Si) for a good while now, and they are pretty solid.

although this new Mackie does have optional Dante, I suspect that the target market for this is not as interested in those capabilities; I'll expect Mackie & Co's will have additional products soon that have different priorities, and will include networking...

Edited by studiomprd

Here's the Mackie product page for the DL32R:

http://dl32r.mackie.com

So is there no optional physical control surface? You can only ride faders through a tablet? How do you make sure you're fingers are on the right channels? Do you have to look down at the tablet rather than at your talent/performance/anything else the whole time?

I've been working fairly regularly with an Allen&Heath Qu-16 mixer (short review: it's pretty neat).

http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/qu-16/

You can connect the Qu-16 to a WiFi router or access point and then control (most of) the physical mixer through an iPad app:

Qu-Pad_Live_Main.jpg

http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/qu-pad/

That's pretty cool for FOH (especially when your stuck side-of-house)...you can wander around with the iPad and adjust your mix. Cool. Of course (I think) you can do the same thing with the Mackie iPad app.

But I don't think I'd want to be limited to only mixing through an iPad. Is there an optional physical control surface? Am I missing something?

Jim: " So is there no optional physical control surface?... Is there an optional physical control surface? Am I missing something? "

yes*, no, and no...

and this is by design!

any of us may feel free to not buy these if they do not suit your needs.

* actually, an iPad is the optional control surface, there is no specific "Mackie accessory" optional control surface; this makes for a better price point.

- I am follow your advise. I am using only professional tools. iPad is not professional tool.

I've seen plenty of "professional" movie en TV sets with CL-wifi plus iPad for controlling a 788. Though, not mixing on it, but still a professional use of an iPad.

On the PDF specs sheets it says there is a optional DANTE card slot

• 32 Onyx+™ recallable mic pres with wireless control

• 14 fully-assignable XLR outputs

• Stereo AES digital output

• Total recall of all settings

• 3U rackmount design ready for road or install

• Card slot for Dante expansion card1

1 Dante expansion card coming soon (sold separately)

Vincent R,

Yes, but not for professional purposes. The DL806 model. Very awkward (for me). I still prefer the knobs, faders, switches etc.

Since it is for small / medium live formats the new model: What happened when you have the rack (inputs etc) on the stage and you are in the back of the club etc with 100 - 300 people front of you (or between them)? In these venues are very crowed with iPad, iPhones and other smartphones and tables who use WiFi. That's why I don't feel safety with this workflow.

Vas: " iPad is not professional tool. "

I beg to differ.

I feel that like the computer (PC) the iPad, and Android tablets have become significant professional tools, and has lots of applications in professional settings, including ours.

your own personal comfort level with it may be a factor, as would be your personal preferences, but we'll be seeing more, not less of them ...

I know that none of us wants to "mix" with onscreen faders (iPad, etc.) but I still find this new crop of digital mixers with iPad interfaces and all quite intriguing (and amazingly full featured and powerful particularly considering the price). I went to the Behringer site (looking at some specs for the X-32 board) and found a new product. Typical for Behringer to "copy" things that Mackie does first, this new product is very similar to the Mackie stuff but with one interesting addition: an accessory hardware fader/control panel so you don't have to use iPad onscreen faders.

Take a look at this new product HERE if it interests you.

post-1-0-15531300-1413839593_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-58042400-1413839612_thumb.jpg

speaking of iPads:

The RØDE iXY is the ultimate recording microphone for iPhone, iPad or iPod® touch. With up to 24-bit/96k* recording and on-board high-fidelity A/D conversion

enews.bswusa.com/q/Uk8ugWFiTJtniu6YgqHsh1TVnqbeSA5sED56INuyMqcVdZmGcLYzRbf2I

and you can buy little clip-on lenses for their cameras, and ...

Edited by studiomprd