TASCAM DR-70

Takuro Kochi

+1 for what Bash says. I bought a DR60 recently, mainly for my son to use with his GH4. I've wound up using it on the jast 3 jobs, all multi-DSLR shoots. It works very well with the 5Dmkii and the camera ops were fine with having it on the tripod. The DR60 plays very nicely with these cameras and provides a perfect mic level (variable) output. It's pretty easy to bump the knobs, so I taped them dowm. figured out that the lcd screen actually shows the tone level being sent in the bottom right corner (shows the last peak). useful. the indent mark on the meter scale is set to -12. Hardwired from 633 and lined up tone to-20. I just set the recorder up and the camera op pushed record (note: flashing means it's armed, full on light means recording.(this could be problematic!). I also recorded everything to my 633. slated with bloop light app on my phone. G3 to second camera, camera mic only on third. By the luck of the draw, I will have had five multi-5D shoots in a row. Who knew. I'm not crazy about working with these cameras, but the DR60 will be paid for real quick ( I paid about $200 CDN for it). didn't bother with trying to label tracks, just set a rough time. it's all Plural Eyes anyway. Looking forward to seeing a real camera soon. Nice product. sounded fine on playback.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I set up a break off kit using a 302 into DR60 ( I borrowed from BTS on the show ) for some wild fx record on the feature I just finished.  Had a complaint from post about noise floor on a couple of the sessions. Recording distant bells in an empty stage with 2 x mkh50s

- So self noise ain't the greatest but still a very convenient wee backup.

I'm starting to regret flogging my FR2, I remember that being a nice quiet unit.

Will have a look at the DR70 as Back up for an international shoot coming up.

I set up a break off kit using a 302 into DR60 ( I borrowed from BTS on the show ) for some wild fx record on the feature I just finished.  Had a complaint from post about noise floor on a couple of the sessions. Recording distant bells in an empty stage with 2 x mkh50s

- So self noise ain't the greatest but still a very convenient wee backup.

I'm starting to regret flogging my FR2, I remember that being a nice quiet unit.

Will have a look at the DR70 as Back up for an international shoot coming up.

I'm a bit surprised at the 'noise floor' complaint since you were presumably going in line level (either +4 or -10) from the 302 and were using especially quiet noise/ high output mikhs (my new term) ... how were you using the combo? Main outs to XLR line in? 302 TapeMix out to 3-4 in? Self noise of the 302 pres or of the tascam line in (or 3-4 in without gain)?

I'm generally happy with my old but regularly used 302 (main out peaking low) into microtrack ... I didn't expect this to perform worse (if it does of course).

Whilst I'm here, I'll also ask Simon two questions - is there provision on the 70 to link gain (either 1-2 or 1-4) and what do you think about it? Second, related to above topic, have you gone line in (again between -10 and +4 area) with better preamps as front end and any thoughts about noise floor thus on the 70?

Cheers all, Jez

I'm a bit surprised at the 'noise floor' complaint ...

By the way, when production / second unit give me FX I've never complained about any noise floor ... If the tracks are good / useful in every other respect I'm just happy and thankful for some good noises! If tracks recorded through MKH50s and half decent pres are too noisy then I could only expect the recording conditions were lousy and post expectations unrealistic?

"Will gratefully accept interesting sound regardless of condition, thank you".

Jez

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I'm posting this message under this topic as I couldn't find any answers to my questions anywhere else.

My Tascam DR-70D has been giving me a "Can't save data" error message every time I shut down the machine. It also seems to loose all the settings I would have set before shutting it down. Fortunately, it doesn't erase nor lose any recording previously done.

This problem started occurring after I upgraded to the latest firmware (1.11 0054). I then have tried reinstalling the latest firmware, reformatted the SD card, changed SD card, downgraded the firmware then upgraded it again and nothing changes, it still shows the "Can't save data" error message every time I shut down the machine.

I've shut down the recorder, removed the batteries as suggested in the users guide but the message keeps showing. If I had set a name to my files when I reboot the machine it gets back to the original factory setting and name TASCAM and also gets back the root folder.

I've read all the FAQ's, looked for information on the net, thoroughly read the owner's manual and the only thing I found about it was to get in touch with your customer service as it might need to be repaired.

I sent messages to Tascam's customer support; almost three weeks have passed and I still haven't received any reply to my messages. I called but was left waiting on the line for over 20 minutes. 

This is quite an annoying situation. Has anyone encountered this problem with the DR-70D before ? and if you did, how were you able to fix the problem ? Has anyone had any problems getting in touch with Tascam's customer service before ? to the point that you never got any reply from them ?

I really like my DR-70D and hope to find a solution to this problem. 

Thank you for your help in advance.

Best regards,

Tonio

Thanks Chrismedr and Abe for your replies !

I am also suspecting that the internal memory is failing in keeping the information saved internally if this is the way the machine works.

I tried it after downgrading the firmware. It records normally and saves the recorded audio properly but when comes the time to shut down, the "Can't save data" message appears and when I boot it back on, all the settings appear to be reinitialized to factory settings.

I would have loved to get a feedback from Tascam since my machine is still under warranty, but they seem to be hard to reach.

Tonio

From a quick look at the source code, the error message occurs on one of 4 conditions :

Can't save the system file to the SD card   (card problem)

Can't save the playlist file to the SD card  (card problem)

The card is write protected.  (Check to see if the little tab on the SD card is flipped.)

and also, unable to write to the internal flash memory.   (this would be a hardware problem).

I'll see if we can find your email to customer support (custser@tascam.com is the only one to use)

Thanks Tom for taking the time to answer to my post.

I tried different SD cards and the problem still occurred and they were not write protected.

So I guess, it narrows it to being unable to save the settings to the internal flash memory.

Thank you all for your help !!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks Rick, i own both the 70d and dr680 (and a 633) and it would have been a nice addition for a super small backup/stealth unit.

Anyway, a question to Tom Duffy: will the 70d have a firmware upgrade to have monitoring similar to the new 701d (being extremely similar in design)?

A few years ago, while first working with a 680, I requested an update, (reset the take counter w/o defaulting the other record parameters). Surprisingly, Tascam responded thanking me for the suggestion and stating they would take it into consideration on a future firmware update. More surprising, they actually implemented it... it took a year or so, but was changed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We love getting suggestions. They usually get forwarded to me, and I share them with the product teams back in Tokyo.

The webmail is at http://www.tascam.com/contact/support/,  this is just a portal that formats a message and sends it to custser@tascam.com, so it is OK to send email directly as well, but you need to be clear what you are asking about.

All email to that should generate an auto-reply straight away that contains a 8 character support reference code.  When we reply, or when you follow up, that will be in the subject line, so we can track the discussion.

e.g. TASCAM Operational Support Request has been received - Reference: Q607EOLR

If you don't get an answer within 2-3 days, you can just follow up with another email with that support reference code and we can lookup whether we had already replied, or whether we were still investigating, waiting for more info internally before replying, etc.

If you didn't get a reply with a support reference code, we never got the inquiry in the first place, so you need to send again.

We recently updated our phone system too, it seems to be working more efficiently that the old system.