Soundbag Dashboards

Simon Paine

I bought a dashboard for the 633 and the 688... and these are among my favorite buys of 2015. Extremely impressive attention to detail and built like a tank.

I'm currently contemplating cutting down the "ears" on my 688 dashboard... and drilling it out so that the first row of screws on the SL-6 would allow mounting the dashboard "piggy-back"... sort of creating an SL-12. This would be a bitch with my skills (or lack thereof)... and of course getting the SL-6 "replacement screws" all correct... however... I'm probably going to do it.

As for the AudioRoot MKII... the whole trick is to take the back panel loose (you don't need to remove it, only loosen the 4 screws)... then you can feed it through the front of the dashboard... and it will fit PRECISELY... i.e. stops right when it's dead-flush... then just tighten the 4 screws again.

I'll make a lexan mount for it... just so it's solid, but you could probably make it solid enough with double-stick foam tape... and of course Simon, you could make something that looked perfect... starting with the hole (excess height and rounded ends currently). The AudioRoot MKII has a belt-clip on it that attaches with 2 self-tapping machine screws... so... ?

Edited by MattinSTL
forgot one thing

I bought a dashboard for the 633 and the 688... and these are among my favorite buys of 2015. Extremely impressive attention to detail and built like a tank.

I'm currently contemplating cutting down the "ears" on my 688 dashboard... and drilling it out so that the first row of screws on the SL-6 would allow mounting the dashboard "piggy-back"... sort of creating an SL-12. This would be a bitch with my skills (or lack thereof)... and of course getting the SL-6 "replacement screws" all correct... however... I'm probably going to do it.

As for the AudioRoot MKII... the whole trick is to take the back panel loose (you don't need to remove it, only loosen the 4 screws)... then you can feed it through the front of the dashboard... and it will fit PRECISELY... i.e. stops right when it's dead-flush... then just tighten the 4 screws again.

I'll make a lexan mount for it... just so it's solid, but you could probably make it solid enough with double-stick foam tape... and of course Simon, you could make something that looked perfect... starting with the hole (excess height and rounded ends currently). The AudioRoot MKII has a belt-clip on it that attaches with 2 self-tapping machine screws... so... ?

Hi Martin,

Glad to hear you are liking your Soundbag Dashboard.

Sounds like you were modifying your RM bracket to fit the Audio Root. We have now designed a dedicated bracket for the audio root dc distro unit (as well as for the Battery Bud), you just have to choose it as one of the options when ordering your dashboard. It makes for a precise fit using existing mounting points on the unit. We've also expanded the opening of the Dashboard a little bit, so the Audio Root slides in easier.

I'm curious to see what you come up with when you create your SL-12. 

Love the 633 unit I use....

Any chance of "piggy back"-able dashboards attaching to each other... SR rack attached to a row of 411s or swapped to more SRs??

It's not in the immediate plans. But if there was enough demand we might look into it.

Talking about demand, is it in the plans to design a dashboard with a vertical battery slot for np1 and integrated dc distribution?

My ideal model would be 2 srb and one np1 slot fit for nomad. 

Hi Dominique,

short answer, no.

My very first "prototype" I made had integrated DC distribution with a built in DC display and on/off switch.

post-55-0-61989800-1369755083_thumb.jpgpost-55-0-34203800-1369753633_thumb.jpg

It worked well, but I realized 2 things pretty quickly. First, that making the DC distro was a lot of time consuming work (big credit to Harry Quan for the awesome work he did with the electrical part of that initial dashboard) and although it was perfect for my setup, everyone has there own collection of equipment, so everyone would want it slightly different. Second, the DC distro units already on the market work really well ! so why reinvent the wheel. The point of the Dashboards is that people can use the equipment they already own and are comfortable with, and just allow it to be better positioned and organized in your bag.

As for allocating space in the dashboard for a vertically mounted battery, in my humble opinion, I don't really think that is an efficient use of the limited space. Bag manufacturers have already designed in to their bags, spots to stash your batteries. With the Soundbag Dashboard designs, I want to use the top space for the displays that are vital for us to see when working. I don't think we really need to be staring at our batteries.

Simon, these are truely beautiful. I have made up some brackets for my gear and I'll honestly say they are monsters compared to your work. Look forward and hope to see some solutions for us Zaxcom users.

I am also amazed as a small operator that you can offer such a variety and a specific range at that low of a cost. 

As someone that really wishes to be a future customer... Thank You.

Edited by Nate C

Sounds like you were modifying your RM bracket to fit the Audio Root. We have now designed a dedicated bracket for the audio root dc distro unit (as well as for the Battery Bud), you just have to choose it as one of the options when ordering your dashboard. It makes for a precise fit using existing mounting points on the unit. We've also expanded the opening of the Dashboard a little bit, so the Audio Root slides in easier.

I'm curious to see what you come up with when you create your SL-12. 

It's not in the immediate plans. But if there was enough demand we might look into it.

Can you post a picture of an Audioroot in the new dashboard?

My implementation of it discards the existing RM bracket, but the horizontal bit of that whole is as perfect as it can be right now... it's the vertical which has excess space. 

Can you post a picture of an Audioroot in the new dashboard?

My implementation of it discards the existing RM bracket, but the horizontal bit of that whole is as perfect as it can be right now... it's the vertical which has excess space. 

Hi MattinSTL,

The cutout in the Dashboards is sized to allow the fittement of all Battery Distro units. However, we have designed individual brackets to hold each style of battery distro box.

In the new design, we enlarged the horizontal plane of the cutout slightly to allow users to slide in the Audio Root distro, without having to take it apart. The vertical plane was left as is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have just received my 664C model. All fitted and operational in well under an hour...half of that cleaning up the 411's removing velcro, dots, and dust.
Bag now looks really smart, but I have had to buy 1 more receiver to fill out all the spaces! (already have a spare transmitter).

Very happy with a beautifully made product!

Well done Simon!

Hi Simon! Is a bracket for a 6 set of UCR411A receivers in the cards for a NOMAD? Will your company manufacture a model suited to  my UCR411A to NOMAD setup? I would love to buy one. In any case, your entire dashboard catalog is very sexy work man.

Edited by José

Hi Jose,

Thanks for the compliments and suggestion.

I'll ask this to you and all Zaxcom users, Is that something that would be popular with Nomad users ? Given the choice between a Dashboard holding 6 - 411's vs 3 SRB's, which would Nomad owners prefer ? And what about accommodating BDS's ? 

Hi Allen,

Glad you're liking your Dashboard. Always great to hear from satisfied customers ! Maybe if you get a chance, could you post a picture of your setup ?

Hey Simon! Thanks for getting back.

I believe both. There are many users here in New York with UCR411As between a 3 to 6 count of UCR411a receivers connected to NOMAD. I use up to 6 on mine due to some of the reality shows I work on.

But yet, there are nevertheless other NOMAD users who have SRBs connected to NOMAD as well. Typically 3 dual SRB receivers.

I personally don't have a need for spacing for a BDS since I am in the minority who use Hawkwood NP1 cup adapters instead.

Thanks Simon!

Hi Jose,

Thanks for the compliments and suggestion.

I'll ask this to you and all Zaxcom users, Is that something that would be popular with Nomad users ? Given the choice between a Dashboard holding 6 - 411's vs 3 SRB's, which would Nomad owners prefer ? And what about accommodating BDS's ? 

Hi Allen,

Glad you're liking your Dashboard. Always great to hear from satisfied customers ! Maybe if you get a chance, could you post a picture of your setup ?

I would want something to hold  the QRX receivers

I would absolutely love a dashboard for my nomad. I use 3 QRXs in one row (closest) to the Nomad and a Micplexer in the next row along with BDS (just a power star mini) and a slot for my NP1.

The nice thing is that the Micplexer and QRXs are all the same size, so you don't have to choose which goes where in manufacturing. Two rows of three QRX/Micplexer slots would give a lot of options. End users could probably customize or find uses for any spare holes.

I would absolutely love a dashboard for my nomad. I use 3 QRXs in one row (closest) to the Nomad and a Micplexer in the next row along with BDS (just a power star mini) and a slot for my NP1.

The nice thing is that the Micplexer and QRXs are all the same size, so you don't have to choose which goes where in manufacturing. Two rows of three QRX/Micplexer slots would give a lot of options. End users could probably customize or find uses for any spare holes.

+1

Here's what my bag looks like now:

image.thumb.jpg.f3ea70e41add53cb3347b26e