Soundbag Dashboards

Simon Paine

is the Micplexer2 the same size as the QRX200 and QRX100 ? (i'm assuming the 200 and 100 are the same dimensions as well?)

Yes, 1.25 x3.25 which is also within a couple hundredths of a lectro 411 or 211.  The depth of the Micplexer is different.  The depth of an RX900 receiver is a just tad bit different (but still really close), and still has the same 1.25x3.25 size.  

The depth of the Micplexer is different.

Do you mean different from the QRX100 / 200? My MicPlexer fits exactly the same as my QRX200s & QRX100s do in the RXMounts that Zaxcom makes for them, so I assume that it must be the exact same dimensions all around, including depth:

image.thumb.jpg.cba2c0931f7c12bbcd5509eaimage.thumb.jpg.21301209570365190cd7f3a3

looks to me like Zaxcom has come up with a pretty good solution for carrying there wireless gear in a bag. The cages I see in these pictures seem pretty good. What would you want a Soundbag Dashboard to do differently ?

The cages you see in those pics are actually meant for a different purpose; to mount one receiver onto the back of a camera. Jose and others have modified them to link them together and they had to fabricate some way to securely hang them in the bag. I believe Rado even drilled them directly into the chassis of his nomad to attach them. It works but IMO the dashboard would look so much more elegant and would be a great out of the box solution.

The cages you see in those pics are actually meant for a different purpose; to mount one receiver onto the back of a camera. Jose and others have modified them to link them together and they had to fabricate some way to securely hang them in the bag. I believe Rado even drilled them directly into the chassis of his nomad to attach them. It works but IMO the dashboard would look so much more elegant and would be a great out of the box solution.

Pretty much what Matt said.

The RXMount that Zaxcom sells is intended for camera mounting. Taking inspiration from Rado's work, I've drilled them together to form the cage you see in my photo. Rado took it a step further by drilling the chassis on his recorder and attaching that there. While I could do that, I'm not as keen on it. I see what you've made with your Dashboards, and wish I had something similar to it for my Nomad and QRX receivers.

Also, the Zaxcom Camera Link seems to be the exact same width as the QRX 100 and 200. The Zaxcom website says the camera link should be .30 inches wider, but to my eye they are exactly the same size. I lined them up in my bag and I can't see or feel any difference in width. I'll see if I can get them out of my bag and do a more accurate measurement.

• 2 weeks later...

How are these with antenna distribution? Can anyone post pictures?

To keep size down, not all Soundbag Dashboards have room for slots for antenna cabling for a distro system.

However we did manage to incorporate slots in to a few of our models.

The 664Bv2, 664C, 664D and 788B all feature holes for antenna cable.

My personal bag kit (664C) is being fitted righ now with an Antenna distro. I'll post up pictures when it's done and ready.

new_dash_8.thumb.jpg.d851ce761a9dcf0d51enew_dash_19.thumb.jpg.2724ea75568b26f870new_dash_30.thumb.jpg.daa446b93fb4e7d366

Edited by Simon Paine
fix typos

These are great. I also like the idea of piggy backing. Adds flexibility for different days. and different gear.

I mentioned this to you directly the other day Simon, thought id mention it in here to get a pulse.

I would love to purchase a 3x411 version for the nomad. If anyone else has that preference please thumbs up to show Simon there is a demand. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On December 6, 2015 at 5:58 PM, DannyMaurer said:

where did you get the light? I like how low-profile it is

Hey Danny,

The light is made by a company called OttLite. My wife picked it up from Costco for a reading light, and I ended up "borrowing" it for my bag setup. Runs forever on the internal aaa batts, or it also has a DC jack that I hope to mod at some point to plug into my Audio Root BDS.

http://products.ottlite.com/p-429-led-book-light.aspx

On November 16, 2015 at 7:42 AM, heckcareder said:

any chances of coming up dashboard for 411/211 on 633?

We're looking into it. Probably be 3 - 411's to keep it low profile to fit the bags designed for the 633.

5 hours ago, Simon Paine said:

Hey Danny,

The light is made by a company called OttLite. My wife picked it up from Costco for a reading light, and I ended up "borrowing" it for my bag setup. Runs forever on the internal aaa batts, or it also has a DC jack that I hope to mod at some point to plug into my Audio Root BDS.

http://products.ottlite.com/p-429-led-book-light.aspx

I realize, that - This could be construed as thread-drift on "Simon's Soundbag Dashboard"? - But, briefly ...

I picked up half a dozen of these Ottlites, and modded some:

Red gel for backstage, 'BTS' or, overnight-work. And slimmed some down. (They're cheap. Like $5 apiece?)

Of all the crappy little lights like this - This is the brightest, most well-built unit, of all that I have tried.

(Yeah, small potatoes, I'm sure. But, sometimes, it's the just 'little things.')

I especially like the very positive action of the on-off switch, on this particular unit. (Compared to all the others I've tried.) 

Food for thought: I have also, when needed ...  Added a wrap of 2 inch G-tape to make a shroud.

I've also used TP, PT, single layer napkins, etc as a diffuser / dimmer.

Doubt I will try to power of off BDS. (My time is better spent on other things.)  AAA batts are cheap!

And, so far ... (After about 6-9 months?) I'm still on the ones that came with.

566c670242cef_Ottliteredgelmod.thumb.png

I'll add to your praise of the light Jim. Three things that impress me with this very inexpensive little unit:

1: The head is very slim, never in the way.

2: The on off switch is located on the light source itself, so you don't have to go into the soundbag pocket to operate a switch at the base of the lamp.

3: The gooseneck seems to be good quality. I've been bending it every which way for months and it's still in great shape.