Zaxcom TRXLA too hot

DX Dave

Hi,

Ive got 4 of these mics and they get extremely hot. Ive tried different methods to keep them away from the skin a bit, but its common for me to see talent stressing over the packs. 7 years of lectro and never had this problem. Sure lectro can get hot too, but ive never seen talent start jumping round like i have the last few weeks since ive had them. 

Has anybody else experienced this extreme heat with the zax?

Hi,

Ive got 4 of these mics and they get extremely hot. Ive tried different methods to keep them away from the skin a bit, but its common for me to see talent stressing over the packs. 7 years of lectro and never had this problem. Sure lectro can get hot too, but ive never seen talent start jumping round like i have the last few weeks since ive had them.

Has anybody else experienced this extreme heat with the zax?

My LA got few times, talents also complaint about the heat from the transmitter. I turned the output power to 50w, seemed solve the problem, but I compromise on the transmit power. Luckily it was a short distance shoot.

I ran few tests. The more function you enabled, the more heat you got from it. Especially for the zaxnet function. Self running doesn't cause lots of heat from my test. And also the transmit power. I keep 50mw for most of time, if I suffer a lot from the rf, I only boot it up to 125w

Pindrop what battery life do you get out of those batts?

Im using energiser lithium at 125mw.

Hiro, do you find much difference in range between 50 and 125? I do use the zaxnet to put them to sleep and also change freqs. Ill check but im pretty sure i have all the zaxnet TC TX switched off on them.

Running at 50mW will keep them cooler and of course lets the battery last longer. Use power roll if you can to get the best of both worlds. Either way the range with 50mW is not that different than 125mW. Often much of the heat comes from the battery itself. Using lithium batteries will help keep the transmitter cool at 125mW. 

Glenn

DX: " Has anybody else experienced this extreme heat with the zax? "

the warmth of these units has indeed been discussed here, and if all 4 of yours are behaving the same, I'd expect that what your are describing is normal operation..

" too hot "

that is subjective

Edited by studiomprd

I also run my smqv at 50mw 80 to 90 percent of the time as well and they are roughly the same temperature when I take them off. I also find that when i run my smqv at 100 the smqv runs alot hotter than the UM's. 250mW on the smqv gets blistering hot.

I once had a 250mW smqv on George Lopez in a NYC taxi in the middle of the summer and he was not a happly camper when it touched his skin.

Do you guys do 50mw into bags with whips? I have been opperating at 125 since i just started using my trx's a few months ago but maybe overkill. No heat issues with mine as of yet. Warm at times but no where near how hot my smqa's get from what i can tell so far. I remember someone once telling me it was getting hot but i guess that is relative to who is wearing it. When i checked it didnt seem too hot to me. But i still repositioned it for talen comfort. Using duracell rechargables and occasionally ultimate liths.

Ken

Interesting. I wonder if the TRXLA2 (which I have) runs cooler than the previous model. I've never noticed, even in tropical climates. I'm using Nimh rechargeable AA and usually power roll. Maybe power roll makes the difference.

On the other hand, SMQV or SMV with Nimh AA batteries at 100mW has gotten me a bunch of nonsense complaints by actors "being burned by malfunctioning equipment".

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, so update on recent usage. Ive been running the mics at 50mw under pretty much the same conditions (in belt packs, or on or close to skin, ambient exterior temp around 25-30 degrees(77-86)) and have had no complaints about heat. Even when i prompt talent asking were the packs hot, they all say no, so very happy about that. Ive been using the black eneloop rechargeable batts which i am also very happy with, getting a minimum 5 hours per charge.