Boom Poles- Cabled vs Uncabled and why

JAppleton

There was a cabal of us SF soundies that were all external for all pole lengths in the '70s-'80s.  My main boom ops preferred this even for our longest poles, so as I changed over to internal cable I had to keep an external set for them.  There is no question that an external cable can be tightened up to a greater degree than any internal cable I've ever used (re running and fast moves), but you have to have some technique to keep control of the cable as you work with the pole extended, it's another thing to have to remember and do.  When working alone I don't have the patience or hand+mindspace to deal with the external cable any more, and don't use very long poles on my own anyhow.  Yes, you have to be careful about not letting the coily bang around inside the pole, but that technique can be learned, I like not having the cable between boom-butt and mixer changing length all the time, and need to be able to quickly unplug from the butt of the boom (mixer coily) so I can put it down to adjust talent wireless etc etc.

philp

External coiled cable are the norm here for bag type work. I have had a couple of the PSC cables. Great cables, alas the last one died recently and I haven't been able to source another one of appropriate length. I am now using externally an ambient coiled cable that is intended for an internal cabled boom. It is thinner and lighter then the PSC cable. So far I am liking it, but it has only been used a handful of times.

639ec376e93dd0200af1b2b01a7f3d15.jpg

My vote.

Trading the weight of internally cabled for the weight of a plug-on transmitter, eliminating the hassle of unwrapping an external cable, absolutely zero chance of cable slap inside the pole.

I don't think I'd be able to do my job properly if we needed to deal with cables, as I'll sometimes need to swap to the "other side" of our cameras even during a shot, and being able to collapse the pole, pop it into a stand and walk away (without removing a belt-mounted wireless system) to quickly deal with a noisy body-mic is very much appreciated by cast/AD's

(super fast "semi-scripted" comedy series with 4-8 talkers and at least two cameras).

Everyone has their individual ways of doing the job, and I prefer as few cables as possible.

Sometimes the coil cable inside a pole makes a little noise that inhibits the operator from making quick movements with the pole . If I need the ultimate in a quiet pole , that will have zero cable noise while following a quickly moving subject , keeping him/her closely miked, I'll use a externally cabled pole that's snugly wrapped. This is usually a narrative booming situation.

But running and gunning, wearing a heavy bag with a gang of wireless, booming with one hand, mixing/taking notes/assisting with the other hand- for that I want the convenience of an internally cabled pole.

DS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have boompoles set up for internal, external and flow through. Each has its own best use for me. For instance, when I'm traveling to many different countries to do current event/news stories I prefer a very short externally cabled boom. It fits in the lid of a Pelican 1510 (when I take the end cap off) and I carry a spare xlr in case of damage or loss.

I also work on a show that requires its audio guys to be in extreme outside environments, such as standing in the pouring rain for days on end, or running through the jungle and then standing in waist deep water. I tried to use an internally coiled pole on this show but, without fail and no matter how hard I take preventive measures, the internal connection where the coiled cable meets the pole's xlr gets wet and fails. Externally cabled poles fail less in extreme environments. That is my experience. Cable management is an issue however. There's no silver bullet.

When I'm working domestically I'll break out the trusty K-Tek that I've had since the late 90's with an internal cable and side xlr. Its a luxury!

Glen Trew, on 27 Oct 2014 - 7:05 PM, said:snapback.png

Internal cable skeptic: Doctor, Doctor!! My internally cabled pole rattles when I shake it!!

Doctor:   [enter the best doctor line and win a trip to the destination of your choice, but I am entering, and I am the only judge]

"Then don't shake it."

"Take these Xanax to help stop the shaking."

Internal cable skeptic: Doctor, Doctor!! My internally cabled pole rattles when I shake it!!

Doctor:   [enter the best doctor line and win a trip to the destination of your choice, but I am entering, and I am the only judge]

Doctor (me): how often do you shake your boom pole during a take?

Doctor: "You must have restless booming syndrome. I can prescribe pills to stop the shaking, being muscle relaxers though, they might make doing the rest of your job harder. And you shouldn't drive to set while taking them. Common side effects include extreme laziness, chronic napping, and a strong desire to binge watch every show currently available hulu"

• 3 weeks later...