Tonmeister App in the Appstore

TimoK

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Timo. Sorry for never answering. Still can't get it to work, everything is on the latest version, ios, Adobe, tonmeister. The only way around is sending myself an email, but if I have no internet is no use. Can you help please!

"Hi Diego,

thanks for your issue report. There was indeed a problem with sharing the reports with dropbox & co. on iPads with iOS 8.  

We fixed that bug yesterday and already pushed the update to the iTunes store review. So it will take another few days until it’s available, but with the upcoming update 1.1.2 you will be able to open the reports in other apps again.

Please feel free to report more of your feedback on the TonMeister app. That is always helpful to improve the software.

Thanks and Best Regards

Yannic"

• 3 months later...

Timo,

Started to Evaluate the app and have some questions and maybe feature requests.  I have yet to test it with the software connected to my 788t so maybe some of this may be moot.. I mainly do Episodic Tv now and I am looking at it from that standpoint.

1. Is there a way to rearrange the icons at bottom of the App.. I will never use the Script or CallSheet functions and would like the Report function in the main grouping instead of under More.. My show does not release the script digitally and I write too much on the callsheet to make it useful in an app..

2. Under Project Presets / Episodes - In addition to the Episode number and Episode Name, could you please add Director.. For example at present I'm working on 4 different shows till my own comes back. Trying to remember each director at the end of the day could be overlooked where if it were attached to the Episode, that could be setup during the Preset stage and not worry about it at the time you generate the report. It would also be great to have the Production Company / Network info set per episode..

3. Again under Project Presets - Folders. Each day I set the Mid level folder to my Roll number on the 788t, does this information get transferred to the App or does the App over ride the machine and set the roll number?

4. Project Presets / Actors - Please add a Category called "Other"  This would hold the non-gender names I use such as Plant Mic 1, Drv Side Plant or Stunt Mic..

5. Under the Sound Report - General Info.. Allow the user to create their own Info in whatever order they want. For instance as it is now. I'd put Production Company, Director, Producer, Sound Recordist with Contact Info and remove Boom Op.. Post really doesn't need that info

6. Again in the Report. Option to Leave out "Sets" from the report if blank. Again, not really needed

7. Comment!!! - This is my favorite feature of the report! Many times I want to leave post an over Comment about the roll be it any special Mic we used or situation and how we dealt with it. This is the first App that address this!!

Looking forward to trying it with the Beetle and again vote for Meters!! 

Thanks,

ML

I've been testing the ACN-BT.  

- the app connects quickly and consistently with Ipad-  every time.  No issue there.  Range is about 50 -70 ft before it starts to hiccup.

- Beetle is very small and easy to bury in bag if that is what you wanted to do.  Power consumption not sure- but i can not imagine it is much.  

- It takes a bit inputing of data each day to get setup properly but no more than you have to put in with a scroll wheel within the 788t to make a report.  

-Routing arming-  required a firm second or two press of the screen to actually make a change. THIS is a good thing.  Reduce routing accidents.  

Reports look great.  Clear and concise.  Not customizable but very effective.  

-No official manual for the Beetle but the there is a how to section in the tonmeister app.

- Needs bluetooth 4.0. So my ipad 2 did not connect.  Does not connect in the usual way.  The connection is via the app not via ipad under settings/bluetooth.  Turn on the Ipad bluetooth.  Then connect via the app.  You will not see beetle come up as a bluetooth device until a connection is made.  A little backwards...  compared to connection methods for other bluetooth devices i have worked with.

-I have not been able to get notes created via the app to write to the 788t.  I am sure either i am missing something or there is an update to fix it soon.

john.

I'd love to get my 788T off the WiFi spectrum. There are upwards of a hundred devices on set at any given time, and everybody's trying to find free internet, so I'm constantly having to monitor my CL-WiFi app to be sure I haven't been bumped...

That being said, the "iPad only" factor of the Tonmeister app makes it unwieldy for bag work, so that and the metadata notes problem make it a dealbreaker... Maybe the next iteration of the 788T will have integrated BlueTooth and a proprietary app...

The reason it seems backwards to connect to the 788 through the app is because it is a low power bluetooth connection. This kind of device does not populate on the bluetooth connection screen.

Glad you are able to connect reliably. I did not have the same results.

The reason it seems backwards to connect to the 788 through the app is because it is a low power bluetooth connection. This kind of device does not populate on the bluetooth connection screen.

Your having inconsistent connections?  For me it just connects every time i open the ipad.  

Timo,

Started to Evaluate the app and have some questions and maybe feature requests.  I have yet to test it with the software connected to my 788t so maybe some of this may be moot.. I mainly do Episodic Tv now and I am looking at it from that standpoint.

1. Is there a way to rearrange the icons at bottom of the App.. I will never use the Script or CallSheet functions and would like the Report function in the main grouping instead of under More.. My show does not release the script digitally and I write too much on the callsheet to make it useful in an app..

2. Under Project Presets / Episodes - In addition to the Episode number and Episode Name, could you please add Director.. For example at present I'm working on 4 different shows till my own comes back. Trying to remember each director at the end of the day could be overlooked where if it were attached to the Episode, that could be setup during the Preset stage and not worry about it at the time you generate the report. It would also be great to have the Production Company / Network info set per episode..

3. Again under Project Presets - Folders. Each day I set the Mid level folder to my Roll number on the 788t, does this information get transferred to the App or does the App over ride the machine and set the roll number?

4. Project Presets / Actors - Please add a Category called "Other"  This would hold the non-gender names I use such as Plant Mic 1, Drv Side Plant or Stunt Mic..

5. Under the Sound Report - General Info.. Allow the user to create their own Info in whatever order they want. For instance as it is now. I'd put Production Company, Director, Producer, Sound Recordist with Contact Info and remove Boom Op.. Post really doesn't need that info

6. Again in the Report. Option to Leave out "Sets" from the report if blank. Again, not really needed

7. Comment!!! - This is my favorite feature of the report! Many times I want to leave post an over Comment about the roll be it any special Mic we used or situation and how we dealt with it. This is the first App that address this!!

Looking forward to trying it with the Beetle and again vote for Meters!! 

Thanks,

ML

Hi Marc,

sorry for the belayted answer.

1.Yes all icons on bottom can be rearranged, plus more menu icons are available for other functions. (click on More, Edit and rearrange it to your personal favor) P.S. There is a bug in the app right now so it doesn't remember the new order once closed. Will be adressed with next update.

2. Good ideas! Noted on the list for future updates.

3. No, the Sound Devices C-Link protocol doesn't allow any access on folder names and roll numbers.

4. The gender thing was adopted from script and our LockitSCRIPT app. Do you need it at all or would it maybe even better to take it out of the Tonmeister app completely?

5. Thank you for the idea we will check how the report section can be optimized.

6. Same here.

7. Great!! , About the Preset Take comments: That's a bug only happening with some 788ts we're already working on fixing that soon.

Cheers

Timo

Hi Bud,

I'm sorry to hear that.

Some of the problem was simply a wrong translation in the app. When the first versions said, that it is reconnecting, it did not mean that it was reestablishing the bluetooth connection. Sometimes the 788t did not reply correctly to C-Link commands. To ensure that everything you worked on in the App made its way into the recorder the Beetle repeats the commands `till it gets the acknowledgement. Therefore Tonmeister wanted you to wait until all you did was safe. Translating this to "reconnecting" instead of "transferring data" was a small mistake with massive effects.

By now, we worked on the C-Link communication and found some workarounds, plus corrected the App translation. Thus, the new App version speaks better C-Link and the wireless connection doesn't feel fragile anymore.

Best Regards

Timo

Hi Timo,

I've been testing the ACN-BT.  

-I have not been able to get notes created via the app to write to the 788t.  I am sure either i am missing something or there is an update to fix it soon.

john.

Hi Timo, any thoughts on this? Am I missing something ?

Thanks.

John.

Hi John,

are you using presets or are you typing them into the notes field? If so we never had the issue that they did not make it into the 788t. As said above, Tonmeister App doesn't allow you to enter more until it gets the affirmative from the recorder taht everything was written back. Presets are right now sometimes not taken over into the sended notes. As mentioned to Mark, that's a known bug and will be adressed with next update coming, soon.

If you are using the notes field you would do us a great favor if you could share some more information with us via mail, so we can find out what goes wrong.

Cheers

Timo

P.S. I try to check all the forums as often as I can but if you have urgent matters or questions please send them to timo@ambient.de directly and you'll get an answer mostly the same day. (If I'm not on vacation... :) )

Timo

I like the gender split it make changing track names a little faster. Instead of having to scroll 1 long list you can break it into groups. My cast,mic names, plan mic names list is very long and this would be a nice time saver!

Appreciate the reply!

4. The gender thing was adopted from script and our LockitSCRIPT app. Do you need it at all or would it maybe even better to take it out of the Tonmeister app completely?Timo

Timo

I like the gender split it make changing track names a little faster. Instead of having to scroll 1 long list you can break it into groups. My cast,mic names, plan mic names list is very long and this would be a nice time saver!

Appreciate the reply!

4. The gender thing was adopted from script and our LockitSCRIPT app. Do you need it at all or would it maybe even better to take it out of the Tonmeister app completely?Timo

OK, noted. It's no big deal to add a third group to this. I already forward it to the engineering guys.

Thank you very much for that input. It's highly appreciated.

Cheers

Timo

HI Timo,  

I can confirm that the notes are working for me now.  I was missing something in my setup.  Most importantly, Individual custom notes working fine and consistently.  And i can confirm your finding regarding "presets"  not being written from the app.  I am sure will this will be corrected soon.

Confusion between mark leblancs remarks(#7 about "Comments") and and your response(#7) about "notes".   I thought that you were not responding to my findings about the notes issue.  Sorry.

thanks,

john.

• 11 months later...

Hi, I don't see TonMeister on iPhone would help to solve the twist with Beetle and CL-WiFi compared to iPad. Maybe you can explain your thoughts behind it.

Anyway, if you haven't moved to Beetle yet, my strong advise would be to wait another couple of days, should hopefully make for a much easier decision.

Here's the thing with TonMeister on iPhone: providing a dedicated iPhone app would mean to support all models on from a particular iOS version - this is a requirement by Apple. While a "native" iPhone6 version would work due to these restrictions resolution must be compatible with Iphone4S - and this is no fun, really, and not of much practical use. Then, if you say "iPhone", others may call "Android" (or "WP/Windows Tablet" for that matter). We hear you all and it's a valid request.

With all that in account  we felt there's got to be a better way. On iPhone, and Android, and WP, and Mac, and PC..... soon.

1 hour ago, Tom Craca said:

And I thought the Beetle interfacing with the 6 Series Sound Devices was dead.......  Am I mistaken?????  

At NAB they showcased the new workflow with the 6 series recorders. It doesn't use the beetle but it uses the master lockit for the hardware interface and then you use a web browser to access an interface for the recorders. That is the new direction they are going to for the interface with all sound device recorders. It worked very well.

Thanks, that's what I meant by holding breath a little longer.

Fact is the 6 series has more potential on it's interface than the 7series and with Sound Devices using it (CL-12) it showed the Beetle becoming insufficinet in its hardware capabilities. Unfortunately, code revisions on one side mean code revisions on the other. So, it's going to be more than a couple of days, I'm afraid :/

I want/desire what Tonemeister provided for the 788 but for the 6 Series.... Metering views, metadata input, maybe some rec/stop and fader control.  I really don't need the timecode control/distro aspect.  So what are we expecting to see with the new interface????

The videos that have been shot on our booth at NAB and are around the web should give you a good idea.  Sorry that I cannot give away  much more ATM. But so much: we hear you.

Whatever you find us doing, though, please bear in mind that level of 3rd party integration will always stricly depend on the capabilities of the interfacing device.

Also, as much we try to merge both aspects, tc and remote control, to bring the best possible user experience, being a company with products based around timecode, focus will always be on TC to some extent, and metadata entry. But let us try to make this more comfortable and unobstrusive. And I think we've done a pretty acceptable job.