Shrinking Sound Crew-- is this a NYC thing, or is it everywhere?

cory

Philip, your posts have also been extremely helpful. Are you worried to say "you'll need to fix things in post" to a producer? I guess one thing that I have been trying to do is stress that they need to shoot proper coverage (i.e don't just do everything 1 take in wide...) and, as Pascal said, try to do it so that almost everything can be handled sans wires.

Am I worried?  Nope.  Part of that is because I've been around a long time and don't "need" that sort of film to establish myself anymore, but I even did this when I was a newb.  Honesty is the best policy, and if they really think that one soundie alone can do as much as two professionals working as a team (if not 3 professionals) then I'm not a good fit for them anyhow.   They need to know the limitations and be GRATEFUL for what their OMB sound dept is doing for them.  If they aren't, I'm gone.

philp

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

grateful isn't in their vocabulary most of the time - the view of these 'gotta be OMB b/c it is a skeleton crew' type producers, is that they are doing US a favor by hiring us, and WE should be grateful for their generosity and the few shekels they decide to fling at us for our work.

After all, they have the picture and this great DP who has worked on blah blah blah production (always some crap you've never heard of) and the Alexa camera (which has mysteriously become a VER HDX or even a 5D on me) as the carrot to entice me to work with them.

Uhm, Mr "producer" sir? I'm a sound mixer. I don't care what the camera is or who the DP is - they don't affect the professional way I approach my job, and my professional results can actually make their work LOOK better and present better to the client. Bad camera is an artistic choice. Bad sound, just like the image being out of focus, means your product is wasted money.

Pay a proper rate and you will get a fantastic product as the result. Without that proper rate... I don't know what hack you might end up with, or how poor the results will be.

Jim: " and the Alexa camera ... as the carrot to entice me to work with them. "

cameras do not entice me... NEVER!

$$$ entices me...

" Pay a proper rate and you will get a fantastic product as the result.

oops,  this again..?

are you proposing I use my clueless nephew for sound, but pay him IA Basic rates ??

there is actually no causal relationship here, just as in the other thread where I'm saying virtually the same thing to Richard (who, apparently, regularly works for free! --and provides a free boomer, too!).

" Without that proper rate... I don't know what hack you might end up with, or how poor the results will be. "

again, lack of cause and effect; sure I don't know what hack -or whiz- you get, or what the results will be and that is no matter what the rate paid.  there are way too many more important, significant, and causal factors than rate that can be associated with the results.

and another factor to remember: the low-ballers (so-called producers or movie-makers) generally have unreasonable expectations and neither $$ or clue.

Edited by studiomprd