Review of Matthews Grip MUT Universal Tablet Mount

ProSound

Recently I upgraded to an Ipad Mini and wanted to find a mounting solution that I could leave my protective case on while quickly mounting it to 2 different carts I own. a PSC cart for commercial and feature work as well as my Rock N Roller R-12 for ENG work. I also wanted a mount that would be more likely to be compatible with future products and not designed to work with one specific model of tablet. After much research I decided the Matthew Grip MUT system was the best option it will accommodate any brand or size of tablet plus it advertises you can leave virtually any case on it when using the mount ( This isn't 100% true but more on that later). I really wanted a mount I could leave my protective case on as I had damaged my older Ipad when I dropped it trying to install it in the mount I had for it. 

So I ordered all the parts listed in the video link below and everything worked as advertised except the mount wasn't tight enough with the Ipad Mini out of the protective case and was too loose for my taste without the protective case. It fit but not how I had hoped. So I took a drill to the sliding slot on rear of mounting bracket so I could install it tighter by lengthening the slot to close it tighter onto the Ipad Mini. If your using a regular Ipad it should be tight with no issue  Overall I am very happy so far I have a long term project coming up that I will use it everyday on but out of all the mounts I have looked it I think this is the best one I have seen. BH stocks all the parts and kits all I had to do was put the matthews part number into the search and it was easy to order everything I needed for about $325.00 

Below is link to Matthews Website the Youtube video explains both of the options I am using 

http://www.msegrip.com/product/new-product-showcase/matthews-universal-tablet-mount.html

Filmtools also sells the parts as well but the price was much higher 

post-205-0-23179200-1414689889_thumb.jpe

post-205-0-91908200-1414689894_thumb.jpe

post-205-0-49841100-1414689901_thumb.jpe

post-205-0-74243700-1414689907_thumb.jpe

Looks good! Interesting utilization of a quick-release for this whole mounting scheme. I have been using a full size iPad for quite awhile and then went to an iPad Mini which I prefer. Always on the search for the perfect mounting method but my requirements were not as specific as yours --- I didn't feel that I needed to find a mount that would work with multiple devices/sizes/models, and I also felt that I didn't need to overall strength and durability of a Magic Arm - Mafer type arm to attach the mount to the cart.

The unit I finally settled on for the iPad Mini was from a company called The Joy Factory (I fully expected that their first business was manufacturing sex toys). It has worked out very well and is not very expensive.

This is basically the one that I am using:

post-1-0-11178300-1414692757_thumb.jpg

This one is a more universal mount (which I guess would accommodate a variety of tablets:

post-1-0-50650600-1414692813_thumb.jpg