Nomad resets timecode, date, time, etc. on power down

vonblake

Hi Guys,

Powered up my Nomad today and jammed a Sony F55.  Powered down in between shots and when I turn the unit back on, it has completely lost my timecode, date, time, etc. Not sure if I am missing something simple, but I am having to reset the timecode and re-jam the camera every time I power down the unit.  

Any ideas?

Thanks!

KC

Probably need to replace the internal 3V button battery. Type is in the manual. For replacement instructions I'd call Zaxcom.

This battery needs to be replaced every two years or so, how old is your Nomad?

Also, I'd recommend leaving the Nomad on all day to maintain the most accurate time code.

It's pretty simple to replace the battery, I did it last week.  If you've ever built a PC you'll be fine.  Just remove all the screws top and bottom, and the screws around the XLR input panel (but not the sockets).  Some of the screws are longer than others.  Slide the unit out of it's case, gently lift the XLR panel up at the back and you'll see the battery.  There may be a rubber foot at the side, to stop it falling out.  Slide the battery out, replace, rebuild.  It shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes.  On mine, some of the screws appeared to have threadlock on them.

post-10116-0-17272800-1415052221_thumb.j

Thanks. I figured it was something like that. My unit is 2 1/2 years old so It's probably time to change that battery. I'll just leave it on all day today like you suggested.

Batteries like that seems to vary wildly in usable life. When you replace it, make sure the contacts are clean. That could also account for a problem. 2.5 years doesn't seem unreasonable, but something to check while you are opening it up anyway.

• 1 year later...

So I rotated the battery around and it's seems to be working. Even though twice it didn't but the other times were fine. I want to change the battery out but I'm a little nervous when it comes to removing the rubber mount that is keeping the battery in place. That thing is glued on strong, the last thing I want to do is break the plastic. Any advice?

• 2 years later...

I guess I should take my zaxcom in to be looked at but I just don't like the idea of shipping my mixer back. So three years later ha since my last post and I still have a nomad that doesn't keep time and date. I've changed the battery and it still resets after every power down. I've just gotten into the habit of keeping the mixer on throughout the day and just powering down during lunch or long breaks. Anyways just venting it's annoying that I've had this issue since my purchase and nothing seems to fix it.

4 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

Did you do what I mentioned in post #11 two-ana-a-half years ago?  Any oxidation on the internal battery contacts can cause that exact issue. 

Ill give that a shot I dont remember reading that. Thanks.

12 hours ago, GAGaudio said:

I guess I should take my zaxcom in to be looked at but I just don't like the idea of shipping my mixer back. 

I think I get your vibe here: Not so much the hassle of shipping, but concern that something will go wrong? I have that, but I've shipped back a bunch of stuff over the years, including mixers, mics, monitors, computers, and cameras. I pack it well, ship however the receiving party wants it (i.e.- some companies have had better experiences with one shipper over another), or FedEx or UPS. I insure the shipment, of course. 

And you know, the companies in our space (ie- not the computer companies :-) ) have all done a great job over the years quickly and successfully fixing my equipment and safely & quickly returning it. Note, though that I haven't had to send microphones for the German spa treatment... I hear that can take a while. But for the usual-suspect US companies, they get that we bought their equipment to use in our craft and business. 

So if #11 doesn't do it for you, give Zaxcom a ring and I'd bet they'll totally take care of you.