SD 664 Noisy Channel

Is your 416 possibly a 416T ? or a 416P that has received T power at some point? I have had issued in the Past when my 416T has accidentally received phantom power and it gets very noisy.

It sounds like your issue is Mic power related (like the Phantom power rail)

To be specific my 416 is an MKH 416 P48. I bought it used, from a recordist who is a friend and employer of mine. He probably had it for 10 or so years. It's never received T power as long as I've had it.... can't speak for anything that may have happened to it before I got it though.

I've had the mic for about a year. It's cooked now, I plugged it into a mates 664, and my zoom, and without a doubt that mic is gone. When the problem first presented itself, I persisted with it for a while, which makes me think that by doing so, the mic became damaged. Needless to say, I'm not going to be persistent in using my friends 8060 incase it gets damaged also... but I may just push on with the NTG3.

Next job, I'll run the 8060 wireless and see if there are any problems. I predict there will not be any. Phantom powering is the common denominator between each occurrence of this problem. The mics, cables, and channels in the recorder do vary, but phantom powering is a constant.

Hopefully I hear from SD in the next day or two and the problem sounds familiar to them. I've not done a firmware update since 2.0.1.... I'll hold out until I hear.

This has definitely not been a straightforward and easy process of elimination!

TW: " This has definitely not been a straightforward and easy process of elimination! "

and to think that some of us would have gotten it fixed almost two weeks (of heartache!) ago.

I should have contacted Sound Devices straight away... I've been working a lot, and wouldn't have been able to send it back. I've still got a bunch of bookings in November!

You're probably right that I've been in a little bit of denial. I do think, however, I've gotten a little closer to working out the problem, despite not having a clear diagnosis yet.

Simply measure the 48 volt current on the mic inputs with a volt meter and know for sure, it is very simple. Measure pin 1 and pin 2 and then measure pin 1 and pin 3, they should be the same.  You will have your answer in no time and then you can move on to step # 2, send the mixer back for service or move on to an other piece in this chain, there are only 3 possible failure points, the mic, the cable and the mixer.